Bear protection handguns?

I agree the large bore revolvers are not that difficult to shoot. First round hits are no more difficult than my 45ACP. However, that first round is more than likely to stop the advance of anything coming in your direction. If I was in fire fight with multiple assailants, it would not be my choice.

The 500 S&W reduced recoil 440gr hardcast load is equivalent to the big bore revolver full power loads like the 340gr +p+ 44 mag and the 454 casull's biggest and best.

500 S&W reduced is 440gr @ 1325fps with 1715 ft/lbs and .251 sectional density.
454 casull big boy load is 360gr @ 1425fps with 1623 ft/lbs and .251 sectional density.
44 mag dangerously big 340gr +p+ @ 1425fps with 1533 ft/lbs and .264 sectional density.

To note, because it's crazy, John Ross with his custom 5" 500 S&W got 1740fps out of his 93% MEPLAT 510gr hardcast, which is a crazy 3428 ft/lbs.

Yes, out of a carryable 5" gun... Likely brutal to shoot, in the truest definition of the word brutal, not unlike that +p+ 44mag load would be, depending upon the gun size of course. But that's what a full-house 500 load can do.

That reduced recoil 500 S&W load will be fine for about anyone with hands big enough to hold the gun, to shoot.

I carry the 4" myself, but with normal full power 440gr wide flat nose hardcasts, I carry it in a chest holster and a drop leg. Drop leg gets used when musky fishing as it keeps the gun completely out of the way of hooksets and such, setting a hook into a big musky to find yourself punching 4lbs of steel and lead isn't fun.

The chest rig has been worn felling trees, dragging trees and brush by hand, milling lumber, using said lumber to build my shooting house, amongst many other things.

The right holsters and I haven't found it an issue to carry, though you'll want to wear hearing protection, got some decent in-ears for $400, looking at $2500 custom molded in-ears now.

Suppose the reality is the hearing protection is a wise investment that should have been made long ago.

One of my favorite things to watch is the reaction of people shooting their 9mm's at the range when the 500 barks. I usually wear double ear pro. I do warn shooters nearby to prepare for a blast before I send a round. The 350 gr. bullet is not bad at all when shooting. The 500 gr. definitely inflicts punishment on the joints. I actually got one round solid hit at 50 yds the other day. I put it back in the holster at that point.

The 500 S&W reduced recoil 440gr hardcast load is equivalent to the big bore revolver full power loads like the 340gr +p+ 44 mag and the 454 casull's biggest and best.

500 S&W reduced is 440gr @ 1325fps with 1715 ft/lbs and .251 sectional density.
454 casull big boy load is 360gr @ 1425fps with 1623 ft/lbs and .251 sectional density.
44 mag dangerously big 340gr +p+ @ 1425fps with 1533 ft/lbs and .264 sectional density.

To note, because it's crazy, John Ross with his custom 5" 500 S&W got 1740fps out of his 93% MEPLAT 510gr hardcast, which is a crazy 3428 ft/lbs.

Yes, out of a carryable 5" gun... Likely brutal to shoot, in the truest definition of the word brutal, not unlike that +p+ 44mag load would be, depending upon the gun size of course. But that's what a full-house 500 load can do.

That reduced recoil 500 S&W load will be fine for about anyone with hands big enough to hold the gun, to shoot.

I carry the 4" myself, but with normal full power 440gr wide flat nose hardcasts, I carry it in a chest holster and a drop leg. Drop leg gets used when musky fishing as it keeps the gun completely out of the way of hooksets and such, setting a hook into a big musky to find yourself punching 4lbs of steel and lead isn't fun.

The chest rig has been worn felling trees, dragging trees and brush by hand, milling lumber, using said lumber to build my shooting house, amongst many other things.

The right holsters and I haven't found it an issue to carry, though you'll want to wear hearing protection, got some decent in-ears for $400, looking at $2500 custom molded in-ears now.

Suppose the reality is the hearing protection is a wise investment that should have been made long ago.

K--my curious George side has me asking why you're carrying whilst musky fishing...?

Not sure his reason but Minnesota has black bears near and around the remote lakes muskies tend to live in. Launching boats and trailering boats has a decent chance of having one cross your path. I always carried one in the Boundary waters of Minnesota when canoe camping on back pack/portaging shoreline camp trips. Ran into bears often during those trips. My guess is that's why he carries when he fishes.

Those 440's penetrate water quite well and even with a close miss, will stun the "Muskie" for a little while! Pick out the one you like.....take it home! 😁

I've got a great cast bullet "trout load" for my hunting rifle! 🤪 Nothing like fresh "Brookies" grilled or fried over the campfire while elk hunting! 😉 memtb

Those 440's penetrate water quite well and even with a close miss, will stun the "Muskie" for a little while! Pick out the one you like.....take it home! 😁

I've got a great cast bullet "trout load" for my hunting rifle! 🤪 Nothing like fresh "Brookies" grilled or fried over the campfire while elk hunting! 😉 memtb
440 on a stream Brooke ??? U must like sushi

K--my curious George side has me asking why you're carrying whilst musky fishing...?

Like noted a couple above my post here, the only time I've ever been charged was while musky fishing, a main fishing area I frequent is a tiny river, mainly fish it for the peace and quiet, but it's narrow/winding, and when I take breaks throughout the day I like to go ashore, sit, have a cigar, relax and chill.

I've had bears within 20 feet of me right out my back door, had one 6.5' away one day while having a cigar, that bear encounter while musky fishing is actually the reason I decided to carry, and I mean carry in the general as well as woods sense.

Wilson Combat P320 Carry for my daily right now, OC spray, S&W 4" 500 S&W for my woods/outdoor carry and I have bear spray as well.

Jet-skier came by after my encounter on the river that day, boulder filled narrow area so he had to stop and putter through, I noted the experience to him and he said there has been a bear harassing people, he noted some local name for it that I can't remember.
Caught up with him a few years after that and he had noted several additional incidents with that bear in the same area that he had himself alone.

MN does bear reports each year and if you look in the report it'll note in some tables instances of bear "issues," it won't say things like "attack" but you can see the instances requiring instant action vs. delayed action like having special tags issued to have someone come hunt that bear.

The instant action instances are likely going to be what would be akin to Alaska's Defense of Life or Property instances, these are likely the, no joke, time to shoot type scenarios.

We've actually had 40+ a year the last couple years, it would seem threatening scenarios are perhaps more common than a person would be lead to believe. They also note that the way in which one had to report an incident before a few years ago made it difficult, which is why they believe the numbers have jumped.
Meaning, the numbers haven't jumped, people just didn't used to report it because it was a mess to do so.

Alaska Game and Fish also notes that they expect 30% more instances happen than are reported for their DLP reports, people don't report for fear of repercussions... I'd imagine in a state like this that number may be higher.

Anyways, I do live in "nowhere" Northern MN, boat ramps are not big paved parking lots but rather dirt surrounded by trees, people leaving their bait, partially consumed food, fish they don't like, etc... on the shore doesn't help keep bears away.

I wear the 500 duck hunting too, same reason except I'm loading my boat at 12am, 1am or so.

Like noted, I have had bears right out the back door of my house, I have nothing against them whatsoever, been within 20 feet dozens of times (which is stupid), so I don't go looking for trouble, I would hate to have to shoot one in defense, same way I'd hate to have to shoot a person in defense.

I know the country you're talking about fairly well after growing up in it and hunting from there up in the Ear Falls area (Lac Seul was my fav). I'd of never thought to carry a handgun for bruins. Now a days I could see it for 2 legged pred's but I personally wouldn't worry about blackies in that country. But, that's just me...

Now fishing for muskie's I'm all over that, I go back to that country 6 or 7 times a year to fly fish for crappie in the spring then fly fish for musky during summer and more so my favorite time October!

IMO, one has not lived until they've caught a big musky on a fly rod:)

In my hands the X frame recoil is harder on the hands due to the double action design (how the frame rests on the web of the hand). While this may not matter in the heat if the moment while trying to stop an aggressive bull or Brownie, it matters when trying to practice without flinching and preparing for that 'moment' to save your life.
Don't discount other platforms that offer SERIOUS horsepower in a smaller, lighter package compared to the S&W X-Frames.
The Freedom Arms Model 83 in .475 / .500 Linebaugh, or Magnum Research BFR in .475 LB / .500 LB or my favorite the .500 JRH.
The .475 Linebaugh is launching a 420 gr hardcast @ 1350 fps,
The .500 JRH is launching 440 gr hardcast @ 1325 fps.
The Freedom Arms Model 83 is a pound lighter than the X-Frame and I guesstimate 30% smaller assuming the same barrel lengths. The Freedom Arms also builds their revolvers like a Swiss watch and are superb!
The grip frames on the Single-Actions are easier on the hands (when you learn how to let the revolver "roll" during the recoil cycle).
Regardless of your choice, practicing before 'The moment' is what is going to cut milliseconds off your reaction time and give you a better chance of survival. And practice with the holster you are going to be carrying in the field. Stop shooting from the bench unless you are carting around a bench in the field.
Here are just a few of my dangerous game revolvers:
TOP: Magnum Research BFR in .500 JRH (heavily customized by Jack Huntington (JRH himself))
BOTTOM: Freedom Arms Model 83 in .475 Linebaugh
Both are wearing Trijicon SRO's 1 MOA dots.
My chest holsters are inletted to allow the revolvers to seat with the red dot optics.

Attachments

• FA 83 & BFR cropped.jpg
    FA 83 & BFR cropped.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 59
In my hands the X frame recoil is harder on the hands due to the double action design (how the frame rests on the web of the hand). While this may not matter in the heat if the moment while trying to stop an aggressive bull or Brownie, it matters when trying to practice without flinching and preparing for that 'moment' to save your life.
Don't discount other platforms that offer SERIOUS horsepower in a smaller, lighter package compared to the S&W X-Frames.
The Freedom Arms Model 83 in .475 / .500 Linebaugh, or Magnum Research BFR in .475 LB / .500 LB or my favorite the .500 JRH.
The .475 Linebaugh is launching a 420 gr hardcast @ 1350 fps,
The .500 JRH is launching 440 gr hardcast @ 1325 fps.
The Freedom Arms Model 83 is a pound lighter than the X-Frame and I guesstimate 30% smaller assuming the same barrel lengths. The Freedom Arms also builds their revolvers like a Swiss watch and are superb!
The grip frames on the Single-Actions are easier on the hands (when you learn how to let the revolver "roll" during the recoil cycle).
Regardless of your choice, practicing before 'The moment' is what is going to cut milliseconds off your reaction time and give you a better chance of survival. And practice with the holster you are going to be carrying in the field. Stop shooting from the bench unless you are carting around a bench in the field.
Here are just a few of my dangerous game revolvers:
TOP: Magnum Research BFR in .500 JRH (heavily customized by Jack Huntington (JRH himself))
BOTTOM: Freedom Arms Model 83 in .475 Linebaugh
Both are wearing Trijicon SRO's 1 MOA dots.
My chest holsters are inletted to allow the revolvers to seat with the red dot optics.

If your X Frame is a 5" 460....for a small amount of cash, I could relieve you of the discomfort you're experiencing! 🤪 memtb