Bear protection handguns?

I'm not tempered by the statistical "odds" that I may become a bear attack victim. I prepare and act on my life experiences. The low odds haven't proven applicable to me. The more time you spend in bear country, the higher your odds, and the less pertinent those statistically calculated odds that could be based on the general population. 80% of the population never exposes themselves to bear habitat. I'd conclude they're risk free. Which odds maker knows the bear population where I spend time afield? Or knows how much time I spend afield? Do those odds account for folk that hunt bears? That track wounded bears? That sleep overnight in bear country, at times with game animal meat in the near vicinity of their sleeping quarters? Hunters that return to a downed animal carcass multiple times to retrieve the meat?

And of course, it doesn't matter if the odds are 1 in 100 or 1 in one 1,000,000,000, if you end up being the "1". After you're the one, your odds have proven 100%, regardless of statistically calculated odds.

Who paid who to calculate those odds? Did the National Park Service fund it? Those friendly folks that prioritize bear lives over park visitor lives? Government officials that fought tooth and nail to prohibit park visitors from carrying a firearm within our national parks?

A statistician can provide a client with any odds requested. Like ordering dinner in a restaurant. All that's required is money, and the latitude to contol the underlying assumptions.

What I do know...? I don't have 1 or 2 million aquaintences. Yet two of my aquaintences were attacked by bears. One killed. The other survived. So in the crowd I personally have met and known, real life after-the-attack odds are clearly much much greater than the odds the hired gun statisticians have projected.

Last edited:
I agree completely and your weapon of choice should reflect that, That's why I prefer the Glock 10mm, I'm familiar with the weapon and I know mine and the weapons limit, with that being said I'm not a Glock fan but that particular weapon fits me in that capacity
Same here. I just recently got my Glock 20. I've had a Glock 21 for quite awhile and shoot it well. Same frame . I have a 3.5 lb. Trigger bar and a lot of goodies in it. It does have a 3.5 pd. trigger pull. Have over travel stop on it also. I just put a 3.5 pd. Trigger bar in the mod. 20. It only lowered it to 5lb. It will get lighter with use. I like the Springfield XDM 10mm I just got but haven't shot it yet. I will definitely before Oct. To see which I prefer. Can only be fun right ? One or the other will be with me this year. With one in the pipe for sure.

I'm not tempered by the statistical "odds" that I may become a bear attack victim. I prepare and act on my life experiences. The low odds haven't proven applicable to me. The more time you spend in bear country, the higher your odds, and the less pertinent those statistically calculated odds that could be based on the general population. 80% of the population never exposes themselves to bear habitat. I'd conclude they're risk free. Which odds maker knows the bear population where I spend time afield? Or knows how much time I spend afield? Do those odds account for folk that hunt bears? That track wounded bears? That sleep overnight in bear country, at times with game animal meat in the near vicinity of their sleeping quarters? Hunters that return to a downed animal carcass multiple times to retrieve the meat?

And of course, it doesn't matter if the odds are 1 in 100 or 1 in one 1,000,000,000, if you end up being the "1". After you're the one, your odds have proven 100%, regardless of statistically calculated odds.

Who paid who to calculate those odds? Did the National Park Service fund it? Those friendly folks that prioritize bear lives over park visitor lives? Government officials that fought tooth and nail to prohibit park visitors from carrying a firearm within our national parks?

A statistician can provide a client with any odds requested. Like ordering dinner in a restaurant. All that's required is money, and the latitude to contol the underlying assumptions.
Well said. I can tell you it's a scary thing cutting up your deer or elk in griz country. Especially if you are by yourself. It can take a third longer stopping and looking around then continuing. Even worse if you have to come back for second or third trip. Hang it high and always try have a buddy. I have a good story of a sow griz and two cubs on a deer kill I might share later. Thanks once again phorwath .

Being an Alaskan resident puts you at the top for the guy that is in the higher percentage for this scenario particularly being an outdoorsman/hunter. Those statistics were nationwide by the US forest service I believe. I'm sure an all Alaskan resident percentage would be significantly higher.

It's hard to predict what any particular bear will do. Yes many attacks have been close and fast not allowing time for defense. Bears are unpredictable for certain but what does a predictable bear look like ? If bears weren't so unpredictable, we wouldn't be carrying sidearms in bear country. Most bears don't want conflict with humans despite everyone's opinion. Cubs and food are the two main problems that cause bear human interaction. Surprising a bear in his territory is another scenario. Regardless of which scenario you encounter, all bears react differently to human presence. Can't just say positively a bear encounter will be an attack. Again be prepared as if it will be. Many bear encounters do offer time for preparation for gun acquisition and or retreat. All in all, the number of bear attacks is so small per day hunters are in the field in bear country that it's more likely you'll go down in a plane crash heading home from that hunt in bear country. I think the numbers are like 1 in 2.1 million chances of an attack. Being prepared is definitely a priority while in bear country. While I read all the preferred and non-prefered guns for defense in Bear country here in this forum by other members, one thing in common is everyone believes their choice is best for them. That's all that really matters within reason. Sure wouldn't want a pocket full of 15 firecrackers but if that's your choice, so be it, it just may be the perfect deterrent. I've talked to seome guides in Grizzly and Brown bear territory that converted from a Big Bore revolver to the (inferior) semi auto 10mm. For sure reliability is as important or more so than SD or energy. They told some personal stories that led them to the change. They even had some articles from hunters and other guides that stopped brown bear attacks with the 10mm. Most were able to get 6-8 shots off with most hitting the target. Many only got up to 3 shots off. One particular one here was the 3 shots on a charging grizzly. Two frontal shots, one skull shot. I think the charge started at 10 yards ended at 10 feet. I'm sure someone will bring up reliability or cases of malfunctions in these scenarios. That's ok. Revolvers have failed in similar cases. The 10mm probably doesn't compare to the common firecracker but it works in a pinch. All kidding aside, I'm no bear defense expert but the 10mm IMO does fit in the minimum category for(Big) bear defense even if it is the minimum. It's hard to say what I'll carry in bear country. It's been my G20 and it's also been my 44mag. I shoot both well but the edge goes to the 20 for confidence, accuracy and shots on target(timed). The chest holster has made carrying my 44 much more comfortable allowing me to enjoy the option of which to take on hunts.
If true they are some lucky men.

I've learned some and got some good ideas from all on this thread. I thank you all. Keep it going . The original OP bailed after his post ...???? I'm not one who gets upset if goes off topic. It keeps you interested and can sure learn things from others. Carry on and
God bless you all.

Hello
Next season I plan to hunt deer in Arkansas. I am told that from time to time bears pass through the lease. With this in mind, what is a good, dependable handgun (that won't break the bank) to carry for protection? I hear that the Glock 20 (10 mm) is a solid choice. Any other guns to consider?
OP's post, # 1 ,.. ^^^^
YUP,.. your 10 MM, IS,.. FINE !!!!!!!!!
A SOLID "choice" with,.. Solid,.. Hard Cast,.. Bullets !

Hello
Next season I plan to hunt deer in Arkansas. I am told that from time to time bears pass through the lease. With this in mind, what is a good, dependable handgun (that won't break the bank) to carry for protection? I hear that the Glock 20 (10 mm) is a solid choice. Any other guns to consider?
I'm a big fan of the Springfield XD tactical

Thinking that, IF we try REAL hard,.. can we get to, 25 Pages ???
That,.. pisz-Ant 10 mm with,.. JHP's ???
Will, those Chitty Glock's,.. missFire ??
Can IT,.. "do" the "Job" ???

Here are two threads that got into this, might prove helpful:

I agree with others that two legged predators are much more of a danger in black bear country. Black bears have a much different mentality than a brown or grizzly and unless you get between a sow and cub, or do something dumb with food at night an attack is very, very unlikely.
I have both the 10 and the 41magnum and they are not the same I can't hit a target at 100 yards with the 10 but can drill it with the magnum. Like shooting a bear verses hunting them with a pistol🤠