Bass pro shop has bought out sportmans warehouse !

Gander in Greensboro closed years ago, lots of clothes but not much else.
Dick's is crap and I won't even go in the door. They owned another chain (sports afield?); crap too).
I won't touch BPS!
Then Sportsman Warehouse, and they've BEEN decent (downhill now).
Academy is 18 months old here and doing decent business.
my take: Support the local stores and shops! They are decent and prices beat mail order.

Of course, the nearest store to me at about 10 miles is Bass Pro. SW is about 18 miles away, and Cabelas is 30 miles away, I have no idea how far the nearest Academy or Scheels are, HUNDREDS of miles no doubt.

We have a bass pro about 30 minutes away and the Cabelas closed last year. We do have an Academy but the current stock in the guns, ammo, reloading departments are pretty much non-existent. There is a local DSG but haven't been in it for years and the closest SW is an hour away. Our little local shops look like the TP aisle in grocery stores a few months back. Can only hope Scheels would open in the NE TN area but don't see that happening any time soon.

As everyone has already clearly stated, Cabelas was ruined when they sold to BPS. Cabela's used to carry brand options and now you can pretty much only buy their private label brands. Inventory levels and selection is limited.
They say the sell was to help "buying power"? BS. Sportsman's does not need help with "buying power".
The firearms industry is a tough place to be now. Lawsuits, anti 2nd A people, internet sales, not being able to order guns, ammo, reloading supplies, etc. makes it hard to run an operation when you can't keep your shelves full.
Take the money and get out and leave the headaches to someone else.
Sad day for the consumer!
RIP Sportsman's Warehouse.

I may as well jump on the train too as I concur. I liked Cabelas for the American made products, customer service and great return policy. It was slipping when BPS scooped them up and went in the dumpster. I would still visit them a couple of times a year when I had to go to Spokane and rarely purchased online from them. I am surprised that Sportsmans here in Lewiston (ID) has stayed open and will likely close if this takes place. Shop local, and if you can't find it places like Midway will gladly fill the void -like they say "Thank you for your business"

This is so sad to hear ! When bass pro ruined cabelas , I stopped going there ! I was disappointed but the silver lining was that it was going to push more business to S.W. Which is my go to ..... fingers crossed now ?!?

My one post about Grand Juntion and Gene Taylor's got a reply that basically said "Nooooo!"Please a little more info.

I hate to hear that bass pro shop has boyght out sportsmans warehouse .They by far had the most reloading and ammo in their stores .They never sold any junk either .I always found what I was looking for when I lived in Alaska in their stores .Bass pro ruined cabelas clothsband other gear when they took them over too .I hate to see just one store owning all the sporting good and shooting supplies it's easier to lose the whole thing and they usually get their prices way higher .The people working at sportmans really knew their stuff too !
I agree 100%! As soon as they bought out Cabelas, Cabelas went down hill and became just another cut rate fishing store with no inventory! I hate to see Sportsmans going the same route! One good thing is they are putting in a Scheels in CO Springs! Still a drive but will have to do it.

Wow, Basspro isn't that bad. There reloading section is limited but they offer ample supply of Christensen, Fierceand Kimber firearms as well as Glock and FN and many others. Many of the employees offer great help and yes some answer questions based on their limited knowledge or stubborn beliefs, but what large retailer has everything perfect. I dont go to any retail store to learn, I go to purchase what I know I want.

And hey, I work work at Basspro in Rancho Cucamonga California in the Firearms department and I can tell you that Basspro has gone way out of it's way to facilitate the craziest environment of this 2020 Covid-election year insanity.

Anyway your opinions are what they are I just thought I'd chime in with another perspective....lol

It totally sucks we lose all the way around .They are talking banning all internet sales with Biden and Remington is gone .They are also talking about one box of ammo a month and ammo and gun taxes to pay for crime criminals do .I thought the world of sportmans warehouse .I have never had to return anything I bought there always good stuff .I almost got killed by a Chinese made API tree stand from bass pro shop .I saw bass pro shop keep selling treestand and cva muzzleloaders with recall notices in front of them .Bass proshop became the Wal-Mart of hunting and fishing stores !

I hate to hear that bass pro shop has boyght out sportsmans warehouse .They by far had the most reloading and ammo in their stores .They never sold any junk either .I always found what I was looking for when I lived in Alaska in their stores .Bass pro ruined cabelas clothsband other gear when they took them over too .I hate to see just one store owning all the sporting good and shooting supplies it's easier to lose the whole thing and they usually get their prices way higher .The people working at sportmans really knew their stuff too !
I'm totally with you, as it hurts competition. How will we, especially with the potential of negative political winds in the offing, ensure us an opportunity for selection. Can you imagine being a smaller camp company or whatever trying to sell their product. This is monopoly like action. I was thinking about First Lite, although I am not big mail order, now it looks like the best way to ensure other companies stay afloat.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.