Basic starter kit for 7mm REM MAG specifically

Welcome to the site from another Californian.

Reloading, as you have read here is as complex as you want it to be. Some posters are hunters (1MOA) and some want to put every shot @ .0001 MOA. You have to decide what accuracy you want then select your equipment to meet that need. As stated before, reloading components are hard to find at a decent price. Get the reloading manuals and read the sections on reloading.

For all you other readers, California has terrible restrictions on ammo sales/transfers and even giving ammo to someone. It takes up to four pieces of paper and a 'real' driver's license or a passport to buy a box of ammo. Reloading is the way to go, so far.

Hoping you and your spouse have a great time shooting....enjoy this site but beware of going down the rabbit hole re. reloading accuracy.
not to give them ideas but Iam surprised they don't label it elicit and cut us off for components. the strange thing we have been able to secure some components and loaded ammo at our chain stores that many of my family and friends in Montana and Idaho still can't get.

I forgot to mention, I had Lee grind a special mandrel for their collet size die, so now I have two different neck tensions to use. I still use an inside the neck expander mandrel following sizing because I get more uniform tension than I can with outside size dies. The beauty of the collet die is that you can rotate the case 90 degrees and size a second time, which will straighten case necks, so you have very little runout.
next question when you get a minute the rifle I am having built was a Ruger 22" .270 WSM I am concerned about the magazine restricting the overall cartridge length to allow me to shoot heavier low drag bullets, I am planning on a 26" 7.5 to 8 twist rate to allow that but started thinking about how deep I can seat those long bullets? I lined up a 6.5 ELD-X 147 next to a .270WSM brass it would need to be seated deep to clear the mag. Any thoughts ? Thanks

It's scary but at least one website says they will not sell projectiles (not ammo) to California residents. Don't know what they are smoking.

next question when you get a minute the rifle I am having built was a Ruger 22" .270 WSM I am concerned about the magazine restricting the overall cartridge length to allow me to shoot heavier low drag bullets, I am planning on a 26" 7.5 to 8 twist rate to allow that but started thinking about how deep I can seat those long bullets? I lined up a 6.5 ELD-X 147 next to a .270WSM brass it would need to be seated deep to clear the mag. Any thoughts ? Thanks
My first 6.5 WSM (6.5-300 WSM) reamer was set up for 120 Barnes "Blue Bullets" seated to the top of the shoulder. It would fit and move through a Model 70 3.2 inch OAL magazine designed for WSM cartridges. As the VLD bullets, became available, two reamers later, I think a standard 3.330 (300 Win Mag length, both designed to fit the 1950s Model 70) would be entirely appropriate for the WSM cased magnums. One of my reamers now is for "standard magnum length" magazines.

Hi everyone - wife and I picked up 2 hunting rifles last weekend - grew up shooting but its been 30 years.

We both got the last 7mm Rem Mag tikka t3x's at cabelas here nearby- beautiful pieces and incredible workmanship..

So Im curious about doing some home reloading and not quite sure what affordable units (100-200 range) would have the dies I need as well as be able to do the red tip ammo (forgot name), is it hornady edl-x? i read that it may need a special die or something to make-

I guess we will plan do do mid game hunting (deer etc) and move up as we gain experience..

Thanks!
As other's have said if hunting in California you'll need to shoot lead free bullets. I believe Tikka 7mm RM barrel twist rate is 1-9.5" so you'll have to stick with bullets with that suggest twist rate range. I started out with a progressive press but a single stage would serve you well, if not better. No worries though if you get a single stage press you can always use the progressive for brass prep. A digital scale isn't too expensive but a good beam scale for grains is fine. I have both digital and beam. Search garage sales for extra gear and get on So Cal firearms forums for extra gear. I'd go to the local used bool stores, there was a larger one in Glendale or Burbank and look for used load manauls. They are a good surce for reloading instruction. Get on youtube and look up RCBS reloading videos to start. I'd keep an eye out for pig hunting in California. But it's been over 20 years since I hunted down there at Tejon Ranch so I don't know what the cost or opportunity is like now. Have fun!!!

My first 6.5 WSM (6.5-300 WSM) reamer was set up for 120 Barnes "Blue Bullets" seated to the top of the shoulder. It would fit and move through a Model 70 3.2 inch OAL magazine designed for WSM cartridges. As the VLD bullets, became available, two reamers later, I think a standard 3.330 (300 Win Mag length, both designed to fit the 1950s Model 70) would be entirely appropriate for the WSM cased magnums. One of my reamers now is for "standard magnum length" magazines.
Funny I still have a few of those Barnes smurf bullets around. I am limited to 2.86 with short action mag and have studied Winchester factory 300 WSM/190 grain accubond just to get cross reference an idea and talked to them getting their thoughts on the overall and seating of the 300 ammo they sell and it does comply and fit in a short action case stating 2.845 , I am hoping to go as heavy the 147 ELD-X Match bullets and hunt with 130's,140's It's just foreign to me seating a bullet that deep into the case and volume of powder concerns too.. hope I am going in the right direction.

Last edited:
I
Funny I still have a few of those Barnes smurf bullets around. I am limited to 2.86 with short action mag and have studied Winchester factory 300 WSM/190 grain accubond just to get cross reference an idea and talked to them getting their thoughts on the overall and seating of the 300 ammo they sell and it does comply and fit in a short action case stating 2.845 , I am hoping to go as heavy the 147 ELD-X Match bullets and hunt with 130's,140's It's just foreign to me seating a bullet that deep into the case and volume of powder concerns too.. hope I am going in the right direction.
I would like to call to your attention. The marksmanship instructor for sniper schools, across all services, is a member of our club range. He shoots a lot of 6.5 Bullets. He told me that the Berger 6.5 156gr "Hunting" is the most accurate bullet he has ever shot and holds most of his personal bests. I have seen him shoot these bullets into a single hole on the benches I shoot off at 540 yards.

I am loading Berger 40 G for my .204 today, I am game to try out 156's but again wondering about that bullets intrusion into the case with my SA magazine restriction some claim its no issue ?. the rifle is in Pac Nors hands it isn't scheduled to be started for a while. it was a 270 WSM that I picked up that needed a new barrel so after a few discussions and thought over just putting another .270 WSM or going the 6x300 WSM the later won the battle and made sense. I intended to neck down my 300 plus pieces 270 brass but was able to order and secure some Bertrum brass marked 6.5WSM. the downside to this decision is the mag restriction. in a perfect world I later saw on this site what appeared to be a longer action for sale already set to this chamber but that was after I sent this rifle in, nothing is set in stone except I am excited to own and shoot this caliber one way or another.