“piece together” ebay reloading starter kit

sam.krapf

If you were to put together a reloading set-up starting with the press and going from there piece by piece, by chasing used eBay what would you look for? The purpose is for accurate hunting rifle ammo up to 500-800 yards.

Input would be much appreciated!

Depending on your preferences, I would jump right in with an RCBS rockchucker kit on sale from whatever your preferred retailer is and add a trickler. I got one six or so years ago and continue to make solid low SD/ES stuff with it. The beam scale is accurate and repeatable. The powder dispenser, primer seater, etc work as they should. That being said, if you're scared about upgrading items later there are a few things you may want to consider depending on where you see the hobby taking you.

You may find a digital scale more convenient.

If you're loading large quantity you may want one of the combo trickler/scales that automatically dispenses powder up to the charge you want.

If you plan on loading large quantity and/or pistol ammo you may want to go with a progressive press. 6.5 guys have some good YouTube videos on loading precision ammo on the progressive that make it seem like a valid option.

Also, I would definitely read a book or two on the basicd (and then more advanced) aspects of reloading. My local library had a few decent ones that helped lay the ground work. Buy some cheap journals (one for each gun/caliber) and start writing everything down. Set aside $100-$200 to build a solid bench that is setup to have a press on the front edge. I used plans from an old edition of shotgun news available online that was excellent. The front edge has a T built in that makes it perfect for resisting the force of the press, allows you to clamp things on the front edge (my trickler, trimmer, etc are all on bases that clamp onto the edge when in use) and is extremely stable. If you have the tools and the skills it should be under $200 in materials.

And finally, you may end up not liking it at all. I've taught a few peoope how to reload for them to end up realising they don't have the time or just flat out don't enjoy it. For me it is relaxing/enjoyable and I genuinely look forward to it. I love shopping for deals on components and trying new loads. Those are the only circumstances where it saves you money. If you don't have the time, don't find it relaxing, etc then you won't do it very much and you'd be better off buying factory ammo. To me the RCBS kit strikes a nice balance. It's affordable enough where you won't be out too much if you end up selling it due to lack of interest, but it's high enough quality that it will take you far in the hobby if you decide to continue with it.

Best of luck. If you're in CO and need help with the basics I'd be more than happy to help you get a feel for things.

Unless your budget is really tight or you have plenty of reloading experience I wouldn't buy much off of ebay yet. Many years ago before I knew better I bought a bunch of stuff that was missing this and that. No instructions or internet back then. Took me a long time to get it all figured out and hunt down the missing parts. You can get a rcbs starting kit when they are on sale or I have seen some used stuff for sale locally that you can go look at in person. Just be sure you know what your looking at and it's complete.

If money is a concern why don't you just get the best deal going on ebay: The Lee Challenger Anniversary kit. Comes with everything you need tool wise to get started except a set of dies. I would find a better scale but the one it comes with will do in a pinch. The kit is about 100 bucks and comes with press, priming tool, scale, funnel, chamfer tool and some other bits and bobs. I've had my kit for something over 20 years. They're not fancy or ultra slick, they're just inexpensive and they work.

I pieced together a reloading set off of eBay and it definitely isn't the cheapest route, but you get exactly what you want. I went with a Hornady lock and load press, a ohaus 10-10 beam scale and a rcbs powder thrower. I was mostly buying rcbs dies and shell holders. Then I bought a Hornady case trimmer and none of the rcbs shell holders will fit in the Hornady case trimmer, so I had to re buy all the shell holders in Hornady brand so they would fit. I am relatively new to reloading so I am still learning a lot about what I need VS what I want. Hope this helps

The thing about buying off eBay is that reloading presses are HEAVY! So shipping is going to jack the price right up to the level of a new (on sale) press. Might as well decide what you want (and the RCBS Rockchucker is hard to beat) and shop locally, where you don't have to pay shipping.

I would go the ebay route for dies (Redding or RCBS preferred) and a beam scale with a trickler. For case prep, Lee makes a case length trimmer that is inexpensive, fast and repeatable. I would not buy any other Lee brand equipment except perhaps a hand priming tool. RCBS makes a good hand priming tool, too. I prefer the RCBS mainly because it uses the same shell holder as their reloading presses.

Last edited:
If you were to put together a reloading set-up starting with the press and going from there piece by piece, by chasing used eBay what would you look for? The purpose is for accurate hunting rifle ammo up to 500-800 yards.

Input would be much appreciated!
you can save a lot of cash doing e-bay if you know what you want and need.old shooters die and the wife or kids sell there stuff on there. I would look at wilson

I did some research before getting into reloading and decided I wanted a single stage press. Brownells had one on sale that ended up being cheaper than any on eBay even with shipping. It is a great press. After that, I got a LOT from eBay, but we have a local shop that sometimes on some items is cheaper than eBay so I get it there, and keep my local shop in business! AND the of course there are the sales - Midway, Sinclair, etc. You should have a fairly good idea of what you want and what performance you are expecting before you buy from anyone. To date, the folks I by from on eBay are gun people, so that helps. Good luck, have fun, and be safe.

I did some research before getting into reloading and decided I wanted a single stage press. Brownells had one on sale that ended up being cheaper than any on eBay even with shipping. It is a great press. After that, I got a LOT from eBay, but we have a local shop that sometimes on some items is cheaper than eBay so I get it there, and keep my local shop in business! AND the of course there are the sales - Midway, Sinclair, etc. You should have a fairly good idea of what you want and what performance you are expecting before you buy from anyone. To date, the folks I by from on eBay are gun people, so that helps. Good luck, have fun, and be safe.
yes I find what I want then shop around, when on e-bay I do a search of the irem I want

That RCBS 304 scale is a good one, but that one is already at $220 when you include shipping. For less than $100 you should be able to get an RCBS 505, which is every bit as accurate. Your call, of course, but I think you can do better than that deal.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.