Reloading starter kit?

bigharge

My 12 year old has peaked an interest in reloading his own rifle ammo. I told him I would help him get a starter kit setup. Is my best option to just buy one of the all in one beginner kits or should I try to piece together specific items.

For now he will only be loading rifle ammo. He sat down and made a list of everything he thought he needed and it seems those kits will get him on the right track. So I guess my question is if those kits are the best way to get started and if so, is there one that is better or is there a specific one I need to avoid. Appreciate your time and input.

If you know reloading basics you can piece together a kit for him as well. It seems one company don't make all the favorite pieces, I preferred lyman case prep tools and trimmer while forster dies were another goal. Lot of good presses out there, I like kinetic bullet puller's, and RCBS or Frankford Arsenal hand primer's. MTM makes a good set of funnels, you can spend a lot or very little on lube and brass cleaning equipment. Good caliper's and a balance scale with a cheap digital scale for weight sorting. I hope he does well.

Yeah that's my thought also? I feel like it's something he will enjoy and continue to do, Didn't want to spend a fortune but didn't want to buy a bunch of lower end junk that will be needing upgraded shortly. He's not trying to do anything special right now, just wants to hand and reload his own ammo for a semi custom 6.5 he's putting together.

this comes up fairly often . I made a list of what I feel is needed . I'm sure there are items I've forgotten . it's a good hobby . I started at 14 years old , and still enjoy it .

have to have ;
press , dies , shellholder , trimmer , bullet puller , calipers , scale , inside & outside debur tool , lube pad & lube , stuck case remover , loading tray , tweezers , powder funnel ( I recommend a drop tube funnel ), I use the Lee powder spoons to get my powder on the scale . I don't think the powder drop / measure is worth it . to much messing around to get it set .

nice to have ;
hand primer tool , primer flipper (if needed ) second caliper , case prep center , annealer ,

should have ;
headspace measuring tool , powder trickler , redding competition shellholder set .

RCBS or Lyman is my vote for kits. I have not looked at them lately but Lyman use to have a kit that had more needed stuff like a case trimmer with it for a bit less money. Make sure the press is a steel not an aluminum one. Yes I agree that you don't need a powder dropper right now. You can use a dipper of some sort or even just a spoon to put powder into the pan of the scale. If you use something like the Lee dipper you can drop almost the whole charge weight in the pan then put a little powder in the dipper and hold it until the powder is about to pour out and then just tap the measure handle with your finger and just a little will trickle out at a time to finish off the charge. If using stick powder you don't even need a powder trickle. I have just put my powder into an old plastic bullet box and use the Lee dippers that are close to charge I want and then just pick up a pinch of powder in my fingers and trickle what is needed into the pan. One piece of advice I will also pass on is get a good loading manual like the Sierra and read the part about loading at least twice. Then double check everything that is done. Stick with finding accuracy and don't worry about getting the highest velocity possible. The Suggested accuracy loads in the Sierra manual are a good place to start as to powder choice and charge no matter what bullet make you are using but always back off and work up to the load. I have been hand loading over 40 years and started out with the Lee hammer style loading kit in 30-06. Good luck in your endeavor.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.