Reloading starter kit?

The one thing I would recommend is to invest in a good quality caliper and or 1" micrometer. There really is a lot of measuring involved in reloading....and though it can be done without these tools, it might help with the accuracy, and all boys/men love small groups...and safe reloads depend on making sure of the right dimensions. If worse comes to worse, they can be sold on a sales site...rsbhunter

My 12 year old has peaked an interest in reloading his own rifle ammo. I told him I would help him get a starter kit setup. Is my best option to just buy one of the all in one beginner kits or should I try to piece together specific items.

For now he will only be loading rifle ammo. He sat down and made a list of everything he thought he needed and it seems those kits will get him on the right track. So I guess my question is if those kits are the best way to get started and if so, is there one that is better or is there a specific one I need to avoid. Appreciate your time and input.

I started reloading at age 14 sixty-four years ago with a CH C Press, a Redding scale, some CCI LR primers, a can of Hercules High Vel powder, and a Lyman primer hole reamer (to remove the crimp from some of Dad's 1934 military headstamp '06 caseings) and a box of Hornady .30 caliber 150 bullets - what a great Christmas present!

I have six presses now and reload for 51 different calibers. I suspect I have just about every reloading tool in the book and three 20' shelves of manuals (back to 1875) and info to go along with the tools.

I suggest going with a Lee Anniversary type kit. It is simple to use and has all he needs to start out. The Lee Manual is very good. He can add an inexpensive Lee case trimmer later on.

My 12 year old has peaked an interest in reloading his own rifle ammo. I told him I would help him get a starter kit setup. Is my best option to just buy one of the all in one beginner kits or should I try to piece together specific items.

For now he will only be loading rifle ammo. He sat down and made a list of everything he thought he needed and it seems those kits will get him on the right track. So I guess my question is if those kits are the best way to get started and if so, is there one that is better or is there a specific one I need to avoid. Appreciate your time and input.
RCBS kit makes a nice gift package and gets him started. The most important thing you can give him is your interest in his interest. Foster that. Invest in that bonding thingy, and you'll have a buddy for life. Find a way to buy whatever you need together to have a safe, enjoyable time together. Best investment you will ever make.....and far less expensive than a lawyer to get him out of jail if he goes another way with the wrong influences. Maybe invest in a reloading course at local gun shop or gun club to get the safety direction set.

I started reloading at age 14 sixty-four years ago with a CH C Press, a Redding scale, some CCI LR primers, a can of Hercules High Vel powder, and a Lyman primer hole reamer (to remove the crimp from some of Dad's 1934 military headstamp '06 caseings) and a box of Hornady .30 caliber 150 bullets - what a great Christmas present!

I have six presses now and reload for 51 different calibers. I suspect I have just about every reloading tool in the book and three 20' shelves of manuals (back to 1875) and info to go along with the tools.

I suggest going with a Lee Anniversary type kit. It is simple to use and has all he needs to start out. The Lee Manual is very good. He can add an inexpensive Lee case trimmer later on.
I had to save this post for people that look at me funny when they see my reloading room. I only have three presses and only load for 23 or 24 calibers at this time. Reloading is a great hobby and pass time. I have got two of my sons and one son-in-law into reloading.

Great to see a young person want to reload his own ammo. I start at age 14, due cost, and wanted to build my own ammo. Both of my sons reload and, looks like a Grandson is headed that way too. Looking at handing down a rifle to the oldest grandson here shortly. Just make sure you work with him. Hard to double load powder in a rifle case, but wrong powder could create a big problem. I learn on my own, but not all can. Been hand loading for a total of 58 years now.
Good Luck, and my hat is off to you and your son.

I just restarted reloading after a 50 year break, I bought most of my stuff second hand which included a Lee 4 position press, rcbs case cleaner, rcbs balance scales, Lee 308 dies, rcbs 357 mag dies.
The equipment I bought new was a set of 4 223 lee dies including neck size die, a 308 lee neck size die, lee case trimmers, lee hand capping tool with several shell holders. Also bought a lyman large rifle primer reamer for the military cases I have.
I weigh all my charges as I only reload about 50 rounds at a time, except for the 357 before I sold the gun.
Don't know if anyone else has mentioned it but rcbs bullet cases and shell case holders are essential.
The whole kit and caboodle cost me about $200. I already had a couple of calipers and a 0 - 1" and 0 - 6" micrometers
My lee press is over 20 years old and when a part broke (due to my ignorance) lee replaced it foc.
I use a lee manual and various makers websites for info and johnny's reloading bench on Youtube. I also bought a new magnetospeed sport chrono which is worth it's weight in gold even though it cost just as much as the whole of my reloading kit.
Forgot to mention, bought a 100cc bottle of liquid lanolin and a litre of isopropanol, mixed together and stored in a fridge. A good shake and a dessert spoonful into a ziplock bag with 50 cases after cleaning shake them real good and lay them out to dry and you've got all the cases lubed. After decapping and necksizing I then wash them in another zip lock bag with some washing machine gel and hot water and then rinse each under a faucet then dry overnight on a few layers of tissue before priming.

Last edited:
Just a quick heads up, if your partner/wife/mom is out for a coupla hours 223 rem and 308 win cases fit primer side up over the plate separators in dishwashers, at least they do in mine, a hot wash gets them really clean but run another hot wash after you take them out to remove all evidence. 357 cases get blown off of the spines. there's about 80 odd spines in our dishwasher, plenty for me. Oh and you don't need to put a tablet in as they can etch brass. I only use this method to remove case lub aka lanolin.
I didn't tell you this and would plead 5th amendment.....

Just a quick heads up, if your partner/wife/mom is out for a coupla hours 223 rem and 308 win cases fit primer side up over the plate separators in dishwashers, at least they do in mine, a hot wash gets them really clean but run another hot wash after you take them out to remove all evidence. 357 cases get blown off of the spines. there's about 80 odd spines in our dishwasher, plenty for me. Oh and you don't need to put a tablet in as they can etch brass. I only use this method to remove case lub aka lanolin.
I didn't tell you this and would plead 5th amendment.....
I put mine.in a vibrating tumbler with corn cob

I use a vibrating tumbler with media, before when I used to lub the cases (for once fired cases I bought). After the initial deprime and full length resize I washed them out by hand. I then used the above procedure to remove the lanolin internally and externally. I don't need to lub anymore as I just neck size as my rifles are rugers #1 and #3 in 308 and 223 respectively so cases don't need lub. I still lob them all in the tumbler before any work as I find the primer holes don't get media in them and I use a lee pocket cleaning tool to get any crud out after depriming.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.