Bartlein 3b at the range

Hello,

I'm looking to put a 6mm Bartlein barrel on my X-bolt with a Game scout stock. It will be mostly for the shooting range but I'd like it to be capable for hunting as well. I've read a lot on the different contours but it looks like the stock isn't recommended for anything larger than a 4 or 5 contour.

My question is, does anybody use a 3B for the range and if so, how bad does it heat up vs a regular hunting barrel in 2 or 3 contour?
Mine didn't heat up nearly as much, and Cerakote helped that even more. On the flip side, when it does heat up, it will take longer to cool down. Hit mine fluted this time.

I switched from barrel cooler with batteries to a a cheap 12v mattress pump. Stick a short piece of tube on it and plug into my 12v source (jackery). Many times the air flow of regular barrel coolers.
I also started with a battery powered unit and switched to a 12V portable power sourced unit. I put my bore guide (for cleaning rod) in the action first and attach the hose to that.

Subbed .......I put a Bartlein #3 together on a 700 action in 6.5 creed and don't have a place to shoot right now.
Had the same caliber on the same action w an Excalibur sindero contour and heavy chassis that shot lights out, but it was HEAVY. Swapped to the bartlein #3 and a magnesium chassis and love the weight now. Just no place to shoot . Anyone want to adopt an old divorced man to live around a range ? I can watch the.place, gather brass, and keep other old men away unless invited , lol .

Best barrel compromise profile for range and hunting in my opinion.
I have a 3b Bartlein 26 inch on a rem 700 and HS precision stock in 8 twist 6.5x284 shooting 140 vld Berger's at 2905 and shoots great at 100 .23-.24 gun with leupold vx3 long range tactical 6.5x20x50 weighs 8.5pounds. Great for hunting and range. Made my longest kill ever attempted with it at 1115 on a big whitetail. Dead in 30 feet. Bullet under skin on offside shoulder couldn't ask for better performance. I picked the 3b as a compromise between my heavy sniper rifle and my lightweight hunting mountain rifle and haven't regretted it. I left mine 26 inches and it is .64 at the muzzle. I got the fluted barrel. IMO from what you are wanting this is a great choice.

I have a 3b Bartlein 26 inch on a rem 700 and HS precision stock in 8 twist 6.5x284 shooting 140 vld Berger's at 2905 and shoots great at 100 .23-.24 gun with leupold vx3 long range tactical 6.5x20x50 weighs 8.5pounds. Great for hunting and range. Made my longest kill ever attempted with it at 1115 on a big whitetail. Dead in 30 feet. Bullet under skin on offside shoulder couldn't ask for better performance. I picked the 3b as a compromise between my heavy sniper rifle and my lightweight hunting mountain rifle and haven't regretted it. I left mine 26 inches and it is .64 at the muzzle. I got the fluted barrel. IMO from what you are wanting this is a great choice.
I have that same glass on the gun in my post above. Its a great lightweight glass imho

I'm not worried about the 3b being too big, just was wondering if a Rem Varm would be a better move. But leaning towards 3b now.
I have both and the REM VAR is definitely not a easy carry hunting rifle contour in my opinion. Maybe if your walking to a deer stand and siting and then walking out. Besides my 3b shoots as good as the REM Var.

I have both and the REM VAR is definitely not a easy carry hunting rifle contour in my opinion. Maybe if your walking to a deer stand and siting and then walking out. Besides my 3b shoots as good as the REM Var.
Appreciate that.

So the next question is, what do you guys do with the new barrel, just leave it bare metal or cerakote? The thought never crossed my mind to need to coat it but that's pretty much the only option I'm guessing.

Appreciate that.

So the next question is, what do you guys do with the new barrel, just leave it bare metal or cerakote? The thought never crossed my mind to need to coat it but that's pretty much the only option I'm guessing.
If it is stainless, you don't have to do anything if you want. Coating are purely cosmetic. Some of mine are bare finish, bead blasted and some have been Ceracoted.

Not clear on the muzzle thread for the use with a 6.5 but with use of .30 mag calibers the minimum dimensions for a 5/8x24 is .725 barrel. At 26 inches a #4 Bartlein is .750 so 5/8x24 should work. The issue with mag calibers with smaller dimensions is belling. using a #3 most I have spoken with use a 9/16x24. I'm sure there are people on this site that are more familiar with the muzzle dimensions minimum appropriate for barrels . The Bartlein 3,3b,and the 4 all have the same breach dimensions the dimensions change at 6 inches forward.