Barrel twist equals stabilization: Truth, lies, myths, total BS, basic guidelines or some is and some aint?

If he's A+ with 4000 positives... He would at least take it back or provide you a new barrel blank.
That was a big mistake on his part. That's not even close to an 8T.
I'm sorry for you brother.
That 10+ twist will not shoot your desired projectiles.
I guess I'll have a couple hundred 110 SMK's to play with in my RPR. I hate the feel of that rifle, but it is most definitely the best shooter I have. And even the less than $600 savage's I have will shoot well under 1/2" if I do my part.
What matters is bullet length. you could have a 87gr bullet but if it's 1.4" long you're going to need a much faster twist than you would with a 100gr bullet that's only 1.2" long. The spin has to be fast enough that the moment arm created is sufficient to counteract the desire of the bullet to go booty over teakettle. With long pointy bullets the center of gravity is well behind the middle of the bullet. The longer and pointier the worse the situation and the more spin needed to stabilize.
Thank you. I know exactly what you re saying. That's my I have a 7 twist barrel n my AR. :-0

I'm pretty sure the barrel in question will shoot my 85/87 grainers just fine. But I already have two that do that. But I was hoping and wanting to own a conventional looking rifle that will shoot 110's and 115's as well as my RPR. So far, I have not been fortunate enough. Probably should have sent one of my 700's off and had a 7 or 6.5 twist barrel put on it and been done with it. But that's like trading a gun for a gun. I hate getting rid of any of my guns.

I once bought a take-off Savage 7mm-08 barrel thinking all Savage 7mm-08's were 9 1/8T.
Apparently they had an 11 or 11 1/2 at one time.
Guess which one I got?
I fussed and cussed because it wouldn't stabilize what I was shooting.
While cleaning, I decided to measure and... yep... 11 twist. 😞

I once bought a take-off Savage 7mm-08 barrel thinking all Savage 7mm-08's were 9 1/8T.
Apparently they had an 11 or 11 1/2 at one time.
Guess which one I got?
I fussed and cussed because it wouldn't stabilize what I was shooting.
While cleaning, I decided to measure and... yep... 11 twist. 😞
I might be wrong, but the fastest twist for a factory 6.5 CM that I have seen is 8:1. With all the newer and higher BC .264 bullets being made why doesn't one of the companies offer a 7:1 twist and run the table on the others. Same thing with a .243. Again I might be wrong, but the 6mm CM's come in 8 twist. Why not a .243 Win?

I have several hundred 58 grain 243 Z-MAX loads running about 4100 fps. I wonder if my new hot shot barrel will stabilize them like my Ruger?

Attachments

• IMG_2200.JPG
    IMG_2200.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 12
I might be wrong, but the fastest twist for a factory 6.5 CM that I have seen is 8:1. With all the newer and higher BC .264 bullets being made why doesn't one of the companies offer a 7:1 twist and ...

Krieger does, for one. So do Bartlein, Brux, Shilen, Douglas, Hart, Criterion.

I'm sure many of the other "top" barrel makers also do.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I've got an rpr with the 7.7 twist that will shoot the 108 Hornady into the .1s and .2s, never could get the 110 smk to shoot under 2", most groups were more like 3-4". Tried 3 different powders, 2 different primers, and 5 different seating depths.
No obvious keyholes, but something wasn't right

For what it's worth, I've got an rpr with the 7.7 twist that will shoot the 108 Hornady into the .1s and .2s, never could get the 110 smk to shoot under 2", most groups were more like 3-4". Tried 3 different powders, 2 different primers, and 5 different seating depths.
I'm going to try my 110 SMK's out of my RPR in the morning and I'll post a pic or two with some groupings. I hate pulling bullets, but with the price of powder and primers now days, I sure as heck won't burn them up or let them sit on the shelf. I'll pull, dump and resize the case and load them again.

thanks for

Well, I was on the range and set up to shoot before 7 this morning. I shot two 5 shot groups with two different loads of powder. Both within 10 fps of each other and seated exactly the same. 2.850" That's the longest any of my mags will hold more than one of. Chamber will hole 2.900". So I guess the next night I wake up at 1 AM and can't sleep I'll pull about 270 110 SMK's and save the power and resize the necks for reloading.

About 45 minutes after I shot the 110's, I checked zero with the 107 SMKs and backed up to 880 yards. twisted the come up knob around and sent 5 rounds down range. I was elated when I drove up to the target and saw what looked to be about a 3" group. I forgot my cell phone this morning and didn't get a picture of it. But I will certainly take a dozen or so in the morning!

Attachments

• IMG_5231.JPG
    IMG_5231.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
3" @ 880 yards!!
Heck of a group!!
Good shooting!!
Thank you. I know that it was pure luck that I did it. But I also know the more you try, the more lucky you are. I'm just proud that I own an out of the box gun that was put down and discontinued and one that will shoot my hand loads into a group like that. I've shot 1" groups +/- a tenth several times. But at half a mile I tend to clinch my teeth and put a lot of pressure on myself. This morning I guess I didn't have too much coffee ;-)

Last edited:
Not many "out of the box" factory rifles will hold under .5MOA!
That one is a keeper!
I have a "factory" Rem 700 Police 308 with 5R barrel that will shoot like that on a 5 shot group...but will swing slightly with heat on a 20 round relay in F/TR.
The cold bore shot is absolute bullseye if I guide it right! LOL

That one is a keeper!
I have a "factory" Rem 700 Police 308 with 5R barrel that will shoot like that on a 5 shot group...but will swing slightly with heat on a 20 round relay in F/TR.

That one is a keeper!
I must have been born under a lucky star. I have two 700's (243) that will shoot .25", a savage 10 and 10 stealth in 6.5 CM that shoot well under .5". I have a Savage 10 xxx in 308 that shoots close to .25 and they are all out of the box guns under $1000. Most expensive scope i have is probably under $600. I've been reloading for almost 50 years. I'm not pro at it, but I do the basic stuff very well.

I say all the above to say that I am lucky, not gifted or own expensive guns. )-: Beez

That one is a keeper!
There is a lady shooter that uses R&R Shooting Range in Geneva AL and I think I read that she was shooting dimes, quarters and golf balls, cold bore at almost 900 yards. I have attached the link to the range on FaceBook.