Barrel swapping

I have done this once in the past and always use headspace gauges to check! I also used witness marks.

Good luck and be safe
If both barrels were chambered for the same receiver...... you were o.k......
now if those barrels were fitted for a different receivers..... gauges or micrometers are in order....
Changing barrels at matches is not unheard of.....

now if those barrels were fitted for a different receivers..... gauges or micrometers are in order....
Thanks Bill! Both barrels were on same action and same bolt.

Would it be a bad idea to do a switch barrel setup along these lines or would a guy be better off going to something like the terminus zues type setup? Only draw back I am seeing is setup time and a few extra tools. ???

Whole lotta complicated answers for the simplest question...
YES.
Punch a witness mark across the barrels/receiver. When removed, torque until the marks line up.
You cannot rely on "I used 50 ft lbs initially, so I'll use 50 ft lbs again". Torque can/likely will vary to get the marks lined up each time.
It's not the torque that matters (within reason)- it's getting the rotation of the barrel precise so that the headspace is repeatable.

Yes, they are both chambered for the same rem 700 receiver.

Thanks Bill! Both barrels were on same action and same bolt.

Would it be a bad idea to do a switch barrel setup along these lines or would a guy be better off going to something like the terminus zues type setup? Only draw back I am seeing is setup time and a few extra tools. ???
All you need for a barrel swap is 2- c-clamps,barrel vise,action wrench,2 cheater bars,wrench to tighten vise,tube of never seize..... all of mine fits in a 30 cal.ammo can...

I wonder how many people responding to the OP's question have actually swapped barrels?

Every rifle I own is a switch barrel, shouldered, and barrels that use a barrel nut, for the same action.

When you are talking about a Shouldered barrel, the gunsmith sets the headspace when chambered. If you have two, three, or 4 barrels that were chambered for the action, they screw on and headspace when the barrel and Action butt up against each other. NO headspace gauges are needed. The same thickness recoil lug has to be used on the barrels they were headspace with, and it is a world-class idea to not mix that recoil lug up with any other recoil lug.

When you tighten up the barrel, it stops solid, like hitting a brick wall. You can stretch the elastic limit of the threads when the shoulder on the barrel contacts the action face.

ON barrels that use a barrel nut, you need a headspace gauge or use a case that you fired in the barrel previously that did not need full-length sizing. I usually cut the neck off of a case that is going to be used as a headspace gauge.

I use a foot /pound torque wrench, there is no movement between 80-100 foot-pounds.

You need a barrel Vise and an action wrench, plus a Nut wrench for the Nut jobs. On Remingtons, I use a Kliendorst recoil lug locator to position the lug in the same spot, and none of my actions have pins to locate the recoil lug and action after I broke one off.

When buying a rifle, look at the purchase as a Platform you are buying or building off of. You have a great action, great trigger, great scope/bases, and great stock. You can have a multitude of calibers and barrels that just screw on and off the same action as long as the bolt face is compatible with the caliber. Some have a large and Magnum bolt face for the same Rem long action, and others have a small and Medium size bolt face for the same Rem short action. I have different stocks for the same action, that accommodate different barrel sizes.

By remaining flexible, you save a butt load of money chasing your obsession!

When I was shooting so many p. dogs, I had a barrel vise welded on the grill guard of my pick up. I would switch barrels and use a p. dog as a sight in target. Point of impact was never far off. Aim at the p. dog, watch the bullet impact, dial the scope to that hole in the ground, get back on the party animals.

Recent Posts