Tikka Barrel Swap

mibowhunter

Hello All, I purchased a Tikka T3X lite used from a reputable member of another forum. The package included the factory barreled action in a Grayboe Phoenix stock, a bunch of ammo and reloading supplies as well as a Carbon Six (C6) prefit barrel that had never been installed.

I swapped the barrel from the factory to the C6. I borrowed a Clymer go gauge to check for headspacing. As many do I applied layers of tape to make the go gauge a no go gauge. The bolt would close. I removed the C6 barrel and returned to C6 to have it checked. They said everything was in spec and even on the tight side of spec and suggested Clymer gauges are not ideal. During this time I ordered a set of go, no go, and field from Pacific Tool & Gauge (PTG). They have a long lead time on non stock gauges. The barrel returned from C6 and I grew impatient so I rented gauges from Reamer Rentals, they have Pacific Tool & Gauge products. Once the gauges arrived I again installed the C6 barrel, torqued and checked with the rented PTG gauges. Bolt would not close on the no go so I finished assembly of the rifle and mounted a scope. I have been busy since and have not fired it. A month or so goes by and the set of gauges I had purchased from PTG arrived. Out of curiosity I decided to check the rifle. The bolt easily closes on the no go gauge......

Now what?

Hard to believe there's that much differences in No-Go Guages... But...There's probably .0005-.0015 differences in the guages and I've heard of that happening before between different brands.

I would measure both guages to see the difference and fire a round thru the C6 and measure that case compared to a factory new case to find out how much case stretch you will get on the first firing.
Then... bump the shoulder back just enough to close the bolt and set your FL die stop there and rock on.

I have a couple of rifles like that.

Hard to believe there's that much differences in No-Go Guages... But...There's probably .0005-.0015 differences in the guages and I've heard of that happening before between different brands.

I would measure both guages to see the difference and fire a round thru the C6 and measure that case compared to a factory new case to find out how much case stretch you will get on the first firing.
Then... bump the shoulder back just enough to close the bolt and set your FL die stop there and rock on.

I have a couple of rifles like that.
I'm surprised there is a significant difference in the same PTG brand.

Do you mean measure the difference between then different no go gauges? I only have the one I purchased now. I ordered the proper bushing so I can properly measure the gauge I have as well as fired and factory cases.

I had a Forster and PTG of the same caliber and there was a difference …very slight difference when using a comparator gauge.
I mostly use go-gauges and use tape or a thin walled aluminum beer can ( plenty available around here!! Lol) cut to fit guage head as a no-go .
That's what someone else was speaking about when using tape earlier.

Works well so far.