Remington 700 barrel swap

If this is a once and done situation take it to a gunsmith
If it's possible you may want a barrel/ caliber swap get a Remage barrel and and the necessary tools. Going the Remage route is really pretty easy. Just figure out what your priorities are beforeyou commit. If you do decide to go Remage it will forever change how you view bolt actions. Just ask the guy who has16 different calibers...

Ross is right on with his post, here is mine.

It can be done and its done often. If you have barrel to bolt clearance sometimes head space can be adjusted by thicker or thinner recoil lugs. Be prepared for your lettering to be indexed incorrectly. If that botthers you you will need help to set the barrel back.

SAAMI HS for a .308 Win is +.01" so you dont NEED the custom action tolerances to make this work. But .01" head space will be hard on you cases.
I was just going to say this, if its off figure out how much and order the correct thickness recoil lug. You didn't say what stock it was going in but you should plan on bedding the action also.

A surface grinder? What are you going to do with that?
What don't you understand about what I said?
If headspace is long with factory lug, replace with a thicker lug GROUND to the necessary thickness. If headspace is short factory lug can be ground provided not much needs to be removed.

It's not complicated.

What don't you understand about what I said?
If headspace is long with factory lug, replace with a thicker lug GROUND to the necessary thickness. If headspace is short factory lug can be ground provided not much needs to be removed.

It's not complicated.
I understand all about it, I worked for a rifle builder doing nothing but barrels all day long. You start changing lug thickness, Now you have changed bolt nose clearance, Shoot a good string, Things get warm and now your bolt won't close. Put your action with bolt installed face up in a padded vice, Place your lug on the face, Take your measurements with a depth mic, And remove material from the breech face, Tenon shoulder and counterbore, Use your reamer Etc.

Last edited:
I had a rifle that came in my shop from a client that had a "Gunsmith" fit a barrel to his receiver. The problem was he had bulges at the rear of the case. I checked it with a Go Gauge. I wasn't until I took the barrel off and measured the receiver that I could see the "Gunsmith" cut the barrel tenon about .160 too short. Therefore the chamber was not chambered at full depth in the barrel. Not to mention the throat was crooked as a do it yourself hair cut. When fitting barrels you need to measure the receiver FIRST .Then measure the barrel you are trying to fit. I think some shooters on this forum think just because it checks out with a go and no go gauges every must be right. WRONG. We can't expect the OP to understand how to fit barrels without basic knowledge and tools. We don't have the parts in our hands to measure them first, Then give him the right advice. There is a big difference between Riflesmithes and Gunsmiths. I see it all the time from the " Gunsmiths" around 200 mile radius around my shop.
I for one don't want 55,000- 65,000 psi up by my face hoping my headspace and clearances are right by just using a go and no go gauges.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your help.ill probably end up going g with a new remage set up or just take it to a smith and have them put a barrel on it.i started checking the barrel out that was gave to me alittle more and I've decided it doesn't fit my needs for the build I'm wanting to do.i will use the barrel later on but not at this time.i do appreciate all the help

I have done it several times and more often than not the take off barrel will headspace correctly.
You do need a set of head space gauges. The biggest problem is getting the old barrel off. Sometimes they can be a bugger. I do have several recoil lugs on hand and sometimes switching them will get you within the headspace you need.
I will add sometimes they don't work and you either need a custom recoil lug or a gunsmith. Someone above offered recoil lugs in varying thicknesses. So there you go.
I have also replaced factory take off barrels on M700 actions. I was surprised when the first one head spaced perfectly, but I learned on subsequent replacements, that was almost always the case. The only problem I encountered was that the stampings on the barrel wasn't in the correct position.I found that if the receiver was also virgin factory it almost "always" worked. I also found out that if I had to true the receiver face, I could true the recoil lug on a surface grinder and correct the head space.

Recent Posts