Barrel Nitriding...

desertcj

Shoot a few first to break in or just have it done with an unfired barrel? I've heard of both being done with good results. What is the consensus? Certainly a bit more work to assemble, break in, dis-assemble, send off and then re-assemble. Appreciate your feedback.

It depends on the round and how aggressive it is and it depends on the gunsmiths methods for chambering and post chambering process, for me if it's a mellow round I run a few through and make it spotless and send in, if it's aggressive I lap and send in.

When I looked into it a few years back everyone, including three different outfits I talked with about doing it said I should put it through a proper breakin first, then have it done.

We did have one member here have a bad experience with a barrel he had nitrided but everyone else I know of has been very happy with the results.

It's hunting season and the days are getting shorter so most of us are spending more time in the field than hanging around here so bear with us.

I have three barrels I have had nitrided, 6.5 Sherman, 6.5-284, and 7stw. All were broken in with around 20 rounds +/- prior to nitriding. Then super cleaned, before shipping to H&M in Houston.

All are excellent shooters and I hope to get added life life from the barrels. You need to know that any burr or flaw that's in the barrel, after nitriding, will be there for a long, long time. I spent a long time inspecting the barrel & chamber with my Hawkeye borescope before nitriding.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.