Melonite vs Nitride vs cyro treatments on barrels.

Wouldn't matter where a barrel was chambered as long as all machine work was done before the treatment. It needs to be pointed out that barrels with any fire cracking at all are not good candidates for nitriding. Copper, or other fouling left in the bore, can be detrimental, also. Best to bore scope, checking for cracking and cleanliness, before shipping. Barrels coming back from treatment require a lot of scrubbing to be sure all residue from the treatment is removed, before being fired.

Shortgrass,

I have two Krieger barrels on order. One is a 30" 6.5 Standard Palma and the other is 32" .338 heavy Palma.

I want to Nitride both barrels after they are chambered. Everything that I have indicates that barrel needs to be shot a few times to remove burrs from the chambering operation. But as you state above, any fire cracking at all is not a good thing. Both of these barrels will be AI's. 6.5 Sherman short mag and 338 LAI.

Would lapping be an option without firing rifle before Nitriding process? If I do need to fire rifles would 2-3 rounds be sufficient? The 338 concerns me the most as it is going to get the most heat.

Both of these barrels are 416 R S/S

Thanks,

Ray

Thanks for all the help. I do appreciate it. I will have barrels to send off and get treated if anyone wants to jump in. I am think about two weeks out.

Shortgrass,

I have two Krieger barrels on order. One is a 30" 6.5 Standard Palma and the other is 32" .338 heavy Palma.

I want to Nitride both barrels after they are chambered. Everything that I have indicates that barrel needs to be shot a few times to remove burrs from the chambering operation. But as you state above, any fire cracking at all is not a good thing. Both of these barrels will be AI's. 6.5 Sherman short mag and 338 LAI.

Would lapping be an option without firing rifle before Nitriding process? If I do need to fire rifles would 2-3 rounds be sufficient? The 338 concerns me the most as it is going to get the most heat.

Both of these barrels are 416 R S/S

Thanks,

Ray
4-5 rds. shouldn't hurt, especially on a well lapped barrel like the Krigers are. That's just enough to shoot the 'fuzz' off the new throat. Just be sure to have the bore 'squeeky clean', 'cause copper or any fouling left behind can be detrimental to the process and the bore.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.