Barrel Makers

WarKitty

I am looking for a cost effective barrel. There are a lot of makers out there but I am really just looking for best price. I have a Remington Model Seven chambered in 6MM Remington with an 18 inch tube. I would like to make it a 24 or 26 inch maybe even of the heavy varmint variety with as little gunsmithing as possible. I don't see anything I like on GunBroker, Ebay or other such places.

I am really looking at cost here. I don't want to break the bank. The 18 inch tube really does a disservice to the bullets potential where a 24 inch barrel can launch a 100 grain slug at around 3100 ft/sec I think the 18 inch can only do it at 2700 or 2800.

Can I get a recommendation for a cost effective maker? I pretty sure all the makers out there work. Who is known for affordability?

If me, I would go 22-23" MAX, a standard sporter or Magnum contour, along the lines of a #2 or 3 contour, and ONLY in an 8" twist.

While at it, I'd use a 243, factory ammo can be found everywhere and run in a pinch. That's just me........

Pinching pennies on a good barrel might be rolling the dice.

Ruger has their American Rifle in 243 in a twist that will handle 105s and anything else.....cheaper than getting a barrel put on, and likely will shoot as well or better. You could sell or trade and be out nil.

It's what I would do........they make their own barrels now, and good ones.

After looking at a few sites and playing with the order forms I am looking at $300-$400 for a barrel. I don't think its possible to pinch pennies going through the various barrel makers. I think the quality will be going from better to best rather than crap to good. As far as using a 243 barrel as someone suggested I don't think so. 6MM is far superior to the 243 its not even a debatable question for me. The 6MM Remington is the most versatile round you can shoot and its one of the easiest to shoot. You can kill anything from a gopher to an elk with a 6MM. The only other caliber with as much versatility is the 30-06.

Thank you for the replies.

Kitty

After looking at a few sites and playing with the order forms I am looking at $300-$400 for a barrel. I don't think its possible to pinch pennies going through the various barrel makers. I think the quality will be going from better to best rather than crap to good. As far as using a 243 barrel as someone suggested I don't think so. 6MM is far superior to the 243 its not even a debatable question for me. The 6MM Remington is the most versatile round you can shoot and its one of the easiest to shoot. You can kill anything from a gopher to an elk with a 6MM. The only other caliber with as much versatility is the 30-06.

Thank you for the replies.

Kitty

If you do some research on ballistics and reloading you will realize there's not much difference. I know two guys who just built custom long range .243s and they did this because you can get Lapua brass for them and a match reamer. One also had a long range 6mm Remington that was also custom built but he preferred the .243 so sold it to fund his new rifle. So the 6mm is not far superior to a .243, it has little to no advantage as far as velocity. The .243 is more efficient though.

Warkitty - you're confusing caliber with "Chambering"
My furthest deer kill was 400 yds using 28.5gr under a 6mm 105 Amax

Cartridge/Chambering was 6BR

A 6 Rem is a good round. "Far Superior" is an opinion unsupported by facts.
Head stamp is irrelevant.
What matters is bullet choice and placement.

I'd happily kill mice to Moose with a 6mm...BR ;)

It's your money but consider my advice above.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts