Barrel is cactus?

NorthOz

Gday, i have been using a Parker Hale 300 win mag as my "go to" rifle for pigs and other ferals for some years now. I purchased it 2nd hand a long time ago and have no idea how many rounds have been put through it. I have just started to reload for my rifles. I neck sized a once fired round and put a 168grn barnes tsx bt in the case mouth and chambered this to try to find my ogive measurement. This measured 3.011". This makes my coal at 3.625" which is about 0.285" to long and the rounds wont go even close to fitting in the mag. If i get my coal correct i am going to have a massive jump to the lands. Barrel must be cactus eh? I have noticed the accuracy dropping off the last 2 outings where i have used this rifle. What do you fellas reckon? Am i making some sort of silly new boy mistake?

I can push a bullet out of my Hornady OAL gauge right out the modified case in my mate's .220 Swift.
It still puts 5 into under an inch at 200yds.
If the rifle was shooting fine only a couple of outings back, I'd look elsewhere for the cause.

It's common to have a .30 jump or larger on a factory gun. Wyatt and others make after market bottom metal to solve this problem. As Oddbod said I would look other places for the new issues your having sometimes I just don't shoot as well as others.

Gents you are spot on. I took the rifle into the local gun smith and he said the throat is in good condition. Looking over the rifle he found a small mark in the end of the barrel. He is recrowning it for me now. I must have hit the end of it on something reciently.

Thanks SLV.
The gunsmith is also looking to see if he can take some material out of the magazine box so i can load them longer. He seems to think i might get 1/8" more clearance. He said i could also cut two threads off the barrel end and rechamber it. I would like to put another barrel on but cost is out of my budget at the moment.

This is about the best way to find your lands, since it is easily repeatable. Tedious but worth it.

Please explain the cactus reference. I understand it means it's shot out, but this is not what what we are used to hearing in this side of the pond. Thanks!

Gday MLN,
Cactus is a fairly regulary used term this side of "the pond". If i had of said "she is knackered", "its buggered" or "its gone west" would your side of "the pond" be all over it?
On a more fair dinkum side of things i would like to thank all you blokes on this forum for the awesome info and genuine good will that is freely given out here. It is much appreciated by a new boy on the block.
Cheers
Gp

I've heard this references before, just never cactus. Now fair dinkum you will have to explain to this bloke. Lighter, happy?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.