Issues with a barrel

bushwackr

I had my gunsmith chamber my rifle to 264 win mag. Well he ordered me a barrel that was threaded and chambered. Well all seemed well, I loaded rounds at the standard oal. Shoots ok not great. I figured I would play with some 140 bergers so I grabbed my gauge case and stuck the tool in the gun figued I would see how long I could load them well the chamber is so long that the 140 will fall out of the case before it touches the rifiling???. I have never seen this before. Can somebody enlighten me as to what goin on with my rig.

I have heard that with that cartridge, the "free bore" is long to suppress the pressure peak. Provided the diameter is a good fit to the bullet, it need not be a problem. It is the fastest wearing part of the barrel anyway.

Really so this isnt an issue then? I just didnt know what to think when I pulled that tool out and was goin to measure the oal and the bullet kept falling out.

if your using the hybrids than it shouldn't be a problem you might get better velocity because of the freebore might allow a little higher pressures"maybe"....

BW, same thing happens with the Weatherbys with their freebore. All of mine are sub- MOA and not even close to the lands. Follow rule of thumb for minimums on seating depth for safety and it should shoot quite well. Good luck

gohring3006 , I think I might have to look for some of the hybrids, I just have the orange box 140 vld hunters. I didnt realize they made a hybrid for these. Ive seen them in the 243 . I will look around.

Dosh, I usually just load hunting rounds to 3.340 so they will feed good if I have to take a quick follow up shot.

The only thing Im kind thinking about now is with that long of throat the barrel will be a one hit wonder , when the throats toast I will be getting another tube.

I would try the VLD's and see how they work, they will function better on game than the hybrid in the 6.5! I've never had an issue with a VLD vs the Hybrid I load the one that functions best on game, I've done fine getting a load dialed even in freebored rifles.

westcliffe01, I tried the pdf they dont work for me either. I will call him up on monday

bigngreen I will just try loading up to the max mag length , I am willing to try it now that I know my rifle is more than likely ok.

Im such a dork but im just excited I found out that I can just resize 7mm rem mag brass in the 264 dies and load them up. :D I picked up about 300 of them off the ground at the range last fall. Im sure this isnt anything new to most of you but sure is to me.

Go to the SAAMI website and look at the chamber/reamer specs for your cartridge
http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC_Drawings/C and C Dwgs - TOC - Rifle.pdf

I use Firefox and the links in the PDF file do not work for me. Maybe you will have better luck with a different browser.

Unless the smith has a very good reason, your chamber had better be cut to the SAAMI spec.

gohring3006 , I think I might have to look for some of the hybrids, I just have the orange box 140 vld hunters. I didnt realize they made a hybrid for these. Ive seen them in the 243 . I will look around.

Dosh, I usually just load hunting rounds to 3.340 so they will feed good if I have to take a quick follow up shot.

The only thing Im kind thinking about now is with that long of throat the barrel will be a one hit wonder , when the throats toast I will be getting another tube.
those hybrids can be less sensitive to seating dept so it might be more forgiving with your freebore also I have had good luck with sierra gamkings by jumping them to the lands

I'm sorry I just figured they did I use them in .308 and .284 cal. That's what I get for trying to help on something that I don't truly have knowledge of I'm sorry for that...

oh no biggie , as long as theres something I can stuff in a case and send on its way im happy

I agree. I just wanna shoot and do it with accuracy. Don't over look those sierras they are forgiving no matter what caliber.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.