Barrel contour question

timl

Can anyone tell me how a #5 contour compares to a Sendero contour? I found a mcmillan stock for a #5, I want to put it on my Sendero. Thanks for any info.

I believe a sendero is a #5 contour or close to it. A few years ago I ordered a Lilja barrel to match a sendero contour and they gave me a #5 which was a close match.

Shilen #5 muzzle dia @ 26" is .725. Remington Varmint contours measure .830 at the muzzle on the PSS, EtronX, VS, VSS and VSSF that I measured. Rock Creek PSS contour meausured .860 at 26". The Shilen and Douglas contours are pretty close. As stated above the Shilen 5.5 is equivalent to the Rem varmint(short action) and Sendero(long action). I beleive the Lilja #5 is a bit heavier than Douglas or Shilen #5 but you can look on their site. So boils down to probably removing a little material entire length of the Mickey stock verses the wait to get factory inletting!!! Shank dia and taper as well as muzzle diameter can vary between barrel makers some despite website listing but not by more than a few thousandths generally.

As far as Lilja barrels go, without actually ordering one of Dans Sendero contoured barrels, his #7 is the closest match to a Sendero contour. Only real difference is that the shank is a bit larger in diameter and longer in length.

Its a simple matter to open up a barrel channel for a larger barrel permitting the forend will handle the larger barrel.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.