Confused about barrel contours ???

Varmint Hunter

I am looking for a new stock for a future custom built whitetail rifle. I am considering a #4 contour barrel chambered in .308

McMillan has stocks that accomodate "up to":

#3 contour
#3 custom barrel contour
magnum rifle barrel contour
#5 contour

Which of these stocks will accomodate a #4 contour barrel? Only the #5? I'm leaning towards a Broughton 5c barrel.

To be honest, I didint know there was a differance between #3 and #3 magnum. We can assume that a #3 magnum rifle has more of a pronounced bulge (for lack of a better term) at the breach end. # 3 standard maybee less of a bulge. Again, not sure of the specifecs about your referances.

What barrel are you trying to get and which stock?

A link below will show you what Lilja's contours are like.

http://www.riflebarrels.com/products/contour_data_lilja_precision_rifles.htm

From McMillan's site:
[ QUOTE ]
It will accept any factory barrel contour up to the magnum or a #3 custom barrel. Available in right hand only.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes factory barrels and custom barrels rate their sizes differantly. I assume what they mean here is that any custom barrel with the contour #3 attached to it will work as well as any factory magnum contours (other than heavy barrel) with that pronounced bulge.

This is only my best guess. The last project I worked on with a McMillan stock was good for #8, so I didnt have much to worry about.

To enhance accuracy potential, I was thinking of using a contour that was just a bit stiffer than the standard #3 contour. This will be a walking rifle and I don't want it to be heavy but do want to maximize accuracy.

I originally considered a McMillan HTG which would accomodate an 8 contour but then figured it is probably heavier/wider than needed. I currently have a model 7 McMillan stock but it will only accept a #3 contour barrel.

I think I'll look at the models that fit a 5 contour. Are they necessarily narrower or lighter than the stocks that accomodate an 8 contour?

It would be nice if I could just go somewhere and see the various stocks. The internet is only so helpful.

Thanks for your responses.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.