Barrel Conditioning "Wow"

Forget about it. I use to live close to the U.P. and I like a good cheese curd.

The rifle is no longer keyholing and it will be a fine shooter.

Maybe you got some duracoat into the muzzle ? I find it hard to imagine that there is a 223 on the planet that can't stabilize a 40gr Vmax ? I had a Remington with a 1:12 twist and I shot 55gr from that. Now try 75gr + particularly VLD's and it is a different story.

Whichever way, there is no substitute for a proper match barrel. Howa are made in Japan, so they probably beat Remington and Savage handily on quality, but there are no Shilen.

Corn cob factory barrel, behold:

Do you think any amount of polishing is going to fix this one ? I have heard of this being found on more than 1 6.5mm Savage barrel of late. I own several Savages BTW.. And I have yet to pay more than $350 for a Shilen Select Match barrel to avoid this kind of shite.

And cucumber does not feature in my diet..

Throat-1-C-RS-1.jpg

6inchesfrommuzzle-2.jpg

images

Thats what my Daughters Savage looked like! I used the Tubbs FL kit on it, no more file called a barrel, cleans much easier now. lol

My Savage 243 barrel was so bad that Tubb's couldn't fix it. Sent it back to Savage and they replaced the barrel for free.

Wow! That is some seriously screwed up rifling! That looks like it would be plainly visible to the naked eye.

As for 40 rounds "breaking-in" a barrel from keyhole to bughole.... I don't buy it. Clearly you just experienced it, but something (like cerakote) must have gotten in there.

That's why the title is wow!
I do stuff ear plugs in the muzzle and foam rubber and frog tape off the inside of the action.
I can't explain it. Just glad it stopped. I have never experienced it.

That's why the title is wow!
I do stuff ear plugs in the muzzle and foam rubber and frog tape off the inside of the action. I burnished the crown to remove the dura-coat.
I can't explain it. Just glad it stopped. I have never experienced it.

Your killing me... Since when is a 40gr 223 bullet a boat tail ? I have loaded lots of 55gr Vmax bullets and if there is a boat tail it is smaller than what I can recognize ?

22271.jpg
55gr

22241.jpg
40gr

Admittedly, the 40gr image shows what looks to be a visible boat tail, but in the 55gr literature they claim a boat tail too...

Oh Well...

Your killing me... Since when is a 40gr 223 bullet a boat tail ? I have loaded lots of 55gr Vmax bullets and if there is a boat tail it is smaller than what I can recognize ?

22271.jpg
55gr

22241.jpg
40gr

Admittedly, the 40gr image shows what looks to be a visible boat tail, but in the 55gr literature they claim a boat tail too...

Oh Well...

I don't want to kill you, let's call it a semi-boat tail.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.