Proof Barrels And Shermans.....WOW !

Wedgy

From the Sherman FB page;

PROOF BARRELS
ok, its time to get real with whats going on!!
I'm tired of having to talk to one client after another because of problems with Proof barrels! Im going to use the "Proof narrative" here. "Proof barrels dont work with Sherman cartridges"! " We've had a lot of troubles with those Shermans"! And just last week "Build a real cartridge"! So, i would advise everyone to do what Proof says and DON'T build any on Proof barrels!
Here are the facts: we have had more problems with proof than "ALL OTHER BRANDS COMBINED"! The same reamers that cut the Proofs, cut every other brand. The symptoms are ALWAYS the same. Pressure as much as 3-4 grains below average and low velocity. The barrels have tight spots (chokes) or are just plain undersize from chamber to muzzle, or both. Even WHEN Proof replaces the barrel, the client is still out hundreds of dollars for a redo and a lot of time.
I tried giving Proof the benefit of the doubt by working with them. In December, we had a 3 way conversation over the phone. Right off, they said " we've had trouble with the Shermans! I reminded them that the only
Sherman part was the chamber AND I had gunsmiths all over the country telling me they were having the same problems I was having.
They then said "well, we have had some issues, but we're working on them"! Because they finally admitted it, I thought, ok, I can live with that answer and we can move forward.
We agreed to cooperate with testing and data exchange so They bought a 7ss reamer, some brass and dies with the promise of building 4 rifles and doing extensive testing. GREAT!
Testing was to begin between Christmas and New years. Finally, after calling them a couple times, they told me they had one chambered and some time later after me calling them for an update, they said they had shot one with 180's using H1000. He said it shot very well and he ran it up to 2880 ish. Whoopee!
We talked about trying some more powders and running them up to pressure and getting velocities and grouping, etc.
Never ONCE have they called me or submitted any data at all since then. In the last month, Ive called them twice and they were always unavailable and they never bothered returning my calls.
In the mean time, I had a client with a problem who stopped by their office, and in their conversation, he was told " build a real rifle", etc.
Soooo.....last week, I emailed them and officially told them that unless I received some correspondence that would change my mind, i could not, and would not work on anything with them, and furthermore, would advise my clients to use their narrative that Shermans and Proofs dont get along.
So you guys can make up your own minds what you want to do, but ive lost all respect for that outfit! Everyone has issues to deal with, including me, but thats what you do; not pass the buck! DONE!

I may be reading or interpreting this the incorrect way. Just don't understand why any cartridge chambering would be different in a barrel. why a Sherman designed cartridge is having issues. Sherman cartridges are basically a Short Mag - different shoulder or a WSM - short magnums.
Yep. My 264 Win Mag Improved has NO issues shooting in a Proof barrel. Groups in the .1s and fireforming velocities just under 3300fps with 156 EOLs.

I just had to go over there and take a look. Lot of comments….
I have 2 proof barrels, one in a 338SS, and I have no complaints. They group well, shoot to distance and are on par with the speed other people get.
I also have a 25SST in a Bartlein carbon and it is SLOW. In fact, my regular old 25-06 shoots faster than it does. It still shoots great, and it's my favorite gun to shoot at the moment, but just at a slower speed than everyone else gets with theirs.
Some barrels are just slow I guess.

Im also confused how a sherman would change anything. Ive had great luck with all proofs.
A lot of us are confused! If you read through all the posts on the Sherman page, you'll see that a LOT of people, including smiths, came out of the woodwork on all the problems.
Yes, some are normal and shoot well but MANY have tight bores/and or spots and pressure up VERY early!

Im also confused how a sherman would change anything. Ive had great luck with all proofs.
The more recent batch of Proofs seem to be tighter and guys have been very disappointed in the velocities they were getting, even after break in they were still well below what other barrels are getting, much slower than earlier Proof barrels also. Proof seemed to blame Sherman, Sherman tried to work with Proof but didn't seem interested in following up. The Proof barrels that I have had were perfect but I haven't had one recently and I now run a faster twist than they make( well over a year to get a custom from them). There are a lot of quality CF options available these days.

But wouldn't it be a barrel problem if that barrel was chambered with anything…
Yes, but the Sherman crowd is quite knowledgeable and knows what to expect from a custom wildcat and the Proofs have come up very short of the consensus velocities reached by others. They specifically built a Sherman XXX to 3,200 fps and are only getting 3,000 fps. I don't think the guy building a standard 7 RM knows where his velocity is going to be and won't be as inclined to find out why his barrel is slower than normal.

Maybe it's the Sherman line of cartridges and they cant really do what you say they can safely????? Maybe it's A brass issue???? Maybe it's a powder issue???? Maybe it's a bullet issue???? The list goes on and on and on. It's gonna go around in circles with everyone pointing the finger at each other
Take one of those so called "tight bore" proofs and chamber it in a PROVEN cartridge and see what happens

I thought this was widely known? People struggling with proof barrels has been talked about quite a lot over the years in the circles I run in. I thought everyone was just happy that we had a company that could produce such a wide range of barrels for so many different configurations and come in at a pretty cheap price point. I've got a proof on one of my .20-223AI's right now, and it's literally the best shooting proof I've ever owned. It was not easy to find a load for it... (which has been common on the proofs I've worked with) but wowzer it sure does like 55gr bergers and H4350. Cranks them out at 3170fps too, which is not slow from a 20" barrel. All the proofs I've worked with could be made to shoot well enough for a lot of people's standards... just not mine. Until this .20 cal that is. This thing flat out shoots. It's sub-1/4moa. If they did this every time, they'd be the only barrel maker left in the USA. lol

Sub-1/2 MOA has been easy enough to achieve from every proof I've worked with. They just don't seem to be as easy to get that 1/3 to sub-1/4 MOA as a few other manufacturers barrels are. Still, for how their pre-fits perform for the dollar spent to get them... lots of happy folks running around with proof barrels on their rifles. That's not an anomaly, that's a real thing. Were it not so, they wouldn't be as popular as they are.

So I think cooler heads will prevail here. Proof has a place in the industry, and obviously they are going nowhere. They'll be around for quite a long time I imagine. I'm happy that Benchmark started making carbon barrels a few years ago, and they are my #1 manufacturer of choice for both carbon and steel barrels. So forgiving and very consistently forgiving. I've only ever had one bad barrel from them, among hundreds. That barrel had bad rifling which could be seen with a bore scope, but it still shoots amazing!

No barrel maker can be all things to all shooters. Be calm. Be respectful. Be understanding. Don't condemn people, businesses, or their products unless your own first hand experience leads you to do so. Even then, it's usually not worth it. Just talk about what you like, and not what you don't like. It's hard, but its easier than the alternative.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Maybe it's the Sherman line of cartridges and they cant really do what you say they can safely????? Maybe it's A brass issue???? Maybe it's a powder issue???? Maybe it's a bullet issue???? The list goes on and on and on. It's gonna go around in circles with everyone pointing the finger at each other
Take one of those so called "tight bore" proofs and chamber it in a PROVEN cartridge and see what happens
WHAT HAPPENS is they are often very slow regardless of the chamber! I have dozens of gunsmiths around the country that chamber all chamberings.
When gunsmiths have to use the smallest bushing they have on their reamers to get the pilot started, its tight.
When even Proof admitted 10% of their barrels are tight; they're tight.
When loads 3-4 grains under normal loads in other barrels over pressure; theyre tight!, Etc, etc

Last edited:
WHAT HAPPENS is they are often very slow regardless of the chamber! I have dozens of gunsmiths around the country that chamber all chamberings.
When gunsmiths have to use the smallest bushing they have on their reamers to get the pilot started, its tight.
When even Proof admitted 10% of their barrels are tight; they're tight.
When loads 3-4 grains under normal loads in other barrels over pressure; theyre tight!, Etc, etc
I'm no barrel maker but if a run of barrels is being made on the same machine, with the same material, how can some be "tight"?