Proof Barrels And Shermans.....WOW !

Hey guys I am considering buying a Savage 110 Lite in 6.5 PRC with Proof carbon wraped barrel any problems with this barrel?
Nope. We constantly run into issues with an individual having a problem with a component. I won't try to discredit a person for expressing their opinions, but you will drive yourself crazy putting too much weight on a particular instance. Over the long run if a company is producing inferior products, they will generally cease to exist. It is somewhat of a crap shoot when buying a product where machinery and humans are involved in manufacturing it.

Hey guys I am considering buying a Savage 110 Lite in 6.5 PRC with Proof carbon wraped barrel any problems with this barrel?
That's like asking if you're going to have problems with a set of tires.

You will never know about how good a barrel is until you have 500 rounds through it and have done proper testing.

So many people I've helped that thought they had a bad barrel... when instead they were just bad at load development. Some are finicky. People are lazy.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Should we start a thread on how terrible CA barrels are at times and how they just don't shoot either? My Smith told me he has had to replace many barrels on CA rifle because of how poorly they performed. He had used Proof, Bartlien, etc as replacements. Problem solved.

My point is, you can start these threads and Bad mouth about any rifle company for poor performance. Don't you guys remember the old joke with Remington? Always buy a rife (R700) that was made on a Tuesday-Thursday because the workers on Monday were still hung over and by Friday they were too lazy that their Quality was terrible?

I wouldn't go out and just complain about Proof , without hard proof (no pun intended) . I wouldn't own a CA myself because I haven't been impressed while others would Calle sacrilegious for saying that. My R700 shoots insanely accurate, my DT factory Barrels shoot insanely accurate , my Proof on my Warbird shoots insanely accurate. This can be said for every gun manufacturer and or barrel maker out there.

I personally have heard more issues with Shreman's claims then barrel issues, but again it all depends doesn't it. But interesting thread

Last edited:
I have had quite a few proof carbon barrels over the years and from what I have seen with the last ones quality is slipping. When you pay that much for a barrel you expect top quality, there are to many other good ones out there to take your chances.

Could there be any truth to you get what you pay for? I believe proof comes in at a lower price point. I know there are bargains to be had and some companies may overprice for thier name. Though, I think the above statement is true. A barrel company that always buys the best steel, trashes reamers when they are out of spec, and has good QC will not be able to compete at the lowest price point and remain solvent.

I just had to go over there and take a look. Lot of comments….
I have 2 proof barrels, one in a 338SS, and I have no complaints. They group well, shoot to distance and are on par with the speed other people get.
I also have a 25SST in a Bartlein carbon and it is SLOW. In fact, my regular old 25-06 shoots faster than it does. It still shoots great, and it's my favorite gun to shoot at the moment, but just at a slower speed than everyone else gets with theirs.
Some barrels are just slow I guess.
Man I'm glad this post was at top.
Both Sherman's I had done with proofs hit speeds that I'm told are 2 billion psi.
Both shoot great to 1k in ultra light rifles.

Yes, but the Sherman crowd is quite knowledgeable and knows what to expect from a custom wildcat and the Proofs have come up very short of the consensus velocities reached by others. They specifically built a Sherman XXX to 3,200 fps and are only getting 3,000 fps. I don't think the guy building a standard 7 RM knows where his velocity is going to be and won't be as inclined to find out why his barrel is slower than normal.
You're absolutely correct guys that drive red Camaros are extremely knowledgeable probably more so then those that drive black ones. In fact the guys that drive the red ones know that there is special polymer in that red that Dain's the .2 tenths faster in the quarter mile.

You're absolutely correct guys that drive red Camaros are extremely knowledgeable probably more so then those that drive black ones. In fact the guys that drive the red ones know that there is special polymer in that red that Dain's the .2 tenths faster in the quarter mile.
Great point. It automatically defaults them to be smarter than someone that bought a creedmoor if you can believe that.

My perspective: The noteable problem, and the customer base turn-off, with the OP's experiences with Proof is not that they send out a number of poorly QA/QC controlled bore diameters. He never claimed every barrel should be perfect. He was communicating with Proof, trying to work through the problem.

Proof decided to blame his chamber, rather than improve their QA/QC control, over the diameter of their bores. And then ceased communications altogether. Pretty sure elkaholic's goal was to resolve the ongoing issue so his customers could feel good about purchasing and using Proof barrels, with his positive recommendation.

His experience with Proof barrels directly, or thru feedback from clients and their chosen gunsmiths, may exceed the experiences of all others responding to this Thread, combined. This is clearly not a case were only one, two, or even several, bad barrels were identified.

So the excuse no barrel manufacturer is perfect, or it's normal for barrel manufacturers to have a few bad barrels slip thru QA/QC, doesn't apply. Isn't a legitimate excuse.

Lots of examples where a company establishes a domineering share of the marketplace, and then fumbles. Drops the ball.
Leupold scopes come to mind. Kept making money with sub-par quality optics for quite a few years, based on their prior US marketplace dominance alone. Thankfully, they seem to be back in the game again, competing well, with improved optics.

Remington's management never learned, cared, or both. Hoping Rem Arms has learned from prior Remington management's mistakes, and maintains a successful business.

Last edited:
I'm no barrel maker but if a run of barrels is being made on the same machine, with the same material, how can some be "tight"?
I have heard that it's not always easy to get good raw material and possibly this could be responsible for the great tolerances within the finished bores. Maybe a metallurgist will chime in on this.