Proof Barrels And Shermans.....WOW !

You really believe there's not a way to produce an inconsistent bore, or any other machined steel product, in a machine shop or production facility?

If it were that easy, no QA/QC inspection would ever be required at most machine shops / plants.

I've got a Bartlein with 2 of 5 grooves measuring out of spec deeper than the other 3. Bartlein says it's not possible with their manufacturing equipment. It shoots like a turd. Two of the cut grooves are visible by bore scope across the throat. Chamber reamer couldn't clean them up. Nor did a PTG uni-throater clean up the grooves across the throat, and that tool only centers off the lands.

If there's a human, a human manufactured tool, a human programmed machine, or a human operated machine involved, then there's always opportunity for cluster.
Did Bartlein replace your barrel?

Ok, I have 14 proof barrels on rifles. All 14 of these rifles shoot .3 moa or better. I have 3 that will shoot in the 0.1 moa territory. All were pretty close on velocities from barrel to barrel on the same caliber rifles.

That all being said I ordered a total of 15 barrels. One the the barrels out of the 15 was a dud. Flat out. The chamber was cut for a 300 win mag. I would not hold any kind of groups. Called Proof they said to send it back to them but with the action. Strange I thought. So sent it back to them and they called 2 weeks later said there was nothing wrong with the barrel and their test showed the rifle cleared their tolerances and as a .4 moa barrel. Then they tell me that the defiance action lugs were not true so they took it upon themselves to true the lugs. What!!! you just screwed my headspace up on that action!!! Got it back still the same. Nothing better that 2.0 moa out of it from a seasoned reloader and shooter. So took the barrel off the action and screwed it on to 2 other actions with the same results. So now I have a tampered with action from defiance and a carbon barrel that is good for a fence post if it were long enough.

I'm pretty sure that I may not order another proof barrel for a while. And I know for a fact and heard it from the horses mouth that one of the largest rifle builders proof has is phasing out proof barrels. So there is smoke there for sure.

As far as the Sherman line. One of mine is in a 6.5 Max and it's a freaking laser shooting in the .1's every time. Wouldn't trade for it. I'm sure that Proof's problems with their bores do not let the full potential of the Sherman line to excel. My two cents'.

Ok, I have 14 proof barrels on rifles. All 14 of these rifles shoot .3 moa or better. I have 3 that will shoot in the 0.1 moa territory. All were pretty close on velocities from barrel to barrel on the same caliber rifles.

That all being said I ordered a total of 15 barrels.
I applaud your methods. Few are willing to play at the level needed to quantify something. Bravo good sir.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

From Rules:
This is a privately owned site developed to foster discussions about Long Range Hunting between like minded hunters.
  1. We do not discuss ethics. To do so will result in the post or posts being edited or deleted.
  2. Public personal attacks between board members will not be tolerated. Fight via e-mail if you wish but not in public.
  3. Troublesome individuals (trolls) or members that appear to be fostering arguments or disagreement will be dealt with in various manners from permanent removal to censorship.
  4. Foul language serves no purpose here and is not appreciated; This applies to inappropriate pictures as well. They will not be allowed.
  5. Racist remarks will not be tolerated.
  6. Posts that are in obvious violation of the law will not be tolerated and the offending member will be reported to the proper authorities.
  7. There will be no threads started for the purpose of airing your problems with companies or individuals you have done business with. (Complaint Threads) Handle those issues privately. This rule applies whether the complaint is against a LRH Sponsor or not.
  8. No posts of a religious nature.
  9. Politics Of Hunting And Guns can be discussed but not General Politics

Last edited:
Just posting up rules that seems to go missing at times. We all have had bad experiences with somebody at one time or another. Its inevitable. I have a "list" of companies, websites, ad nauseam that I keep records of that I will never do business with for variety of reasons. I won't publish it since many have had zero issues with them. JMO

I see you posted while I was carefully considering my response. We are in total agreement, I feel that the many who would be better served shooting factory ammo are making the situation much more difficult for all involved - especially Mr. Sherman and Proof.

I had a Freedom Arms .454. I always seeded to run about 100 feet per second behind magazine published loads or internet loads. It was no big deal to me. It worked for hunting and that was that.