Barrel break - in ??? What do you do ???

Shoot, oil patch, dry patch, repeat and let the barrel till you it's broke in. Never brush a barrel that doesn't need it. Feel the patches as they go through the bore. The bore should start getting slicker as you patch. Also patches should start staying cleaner, not as dirty. Each gun is deferent, let the gun tell you!!!

Shoot, oil patch, dry patch, repeat and let the barrel till you it's broke in. Never brush a barrel that doesn't need it. Feel the patches as they go through the bore. The bore should start getting slicker as you patch. Also patches should start staying cleaner, not as dirty. Each gun is deferent, let the gun tell you!!!
Thank you !!!

I know this is an older thread but I just found this.
Many don't break in a barrel but here is a link from Christisen on barrel break in :

Proper barrel break-in will smooth the bore of your barrel to creates better consistency and accuracy. With today's demand for accuracy, most high-quality barrel makers lap their barrels to remove minor tooling marks and create as uniform a finish as possible. This is generally done when the barrel is at the "blank" stage before the barrel has been contoured, crowned and chambered. While this lapping technique provides great results, the post-lapping machining during the chambering process adds additional tooling marks. However it is possible to lap the barrel after the chambering process, it is very difficult and can damage the throat or create uneven gas venting behind the bullet which can lead to poor accuracy. Live fire barrel break-in can minimize these potential problems and is much more fun!

Proper barrel break-in consists of a series of shooting and cleaning sequences. Although many different break-in sequences exist, the following has been developed over the last 15 years, and is very simple and has given excellent results.

Last edited:
I've done the break in procedure on some rifles but my last two I've just cleaned after every 20 or so rounds and have noticed no difference. I feel a rifle will or won't be a shooter and proper break in is overrated but to each their own.

When it's brand new run patches until they come out clean. Then I load and shoot a pressure ladder test, usually 10 rounds. I go home and clean and load and shoot seating depth test with my chosen powder charge, usually 30 rounds. Go home and clean. Now I load and shoot 150-200 rounds allowing the barrel to speed up, I'll usually clean in the middle there somewhere and then again after. Then I re-do my load development.

I have found that in my factory rifles they deposit less copper with proper break in.
My wife bought a new Weatherby Vanguard in 300 weatherby mag for our anniversary and I went into the hospital so my brother in law said he would break it in and shot 1 1/2 box's of my factory ammo without breaking it in.He said he always just shot it until 1 1/2 box's were done and stopped.
Took 3 days to clean it!I'll never know if breaking it in properly would have helped or not so I always break new factory rifles in.

Old Rooster,.. DON'T give up, YET as there's, STILL,.. "Hope" !
1) Soak the barrel with, a STRONG Copper Remover ( Barnes C-10 or Sweets ) for, 1/2 an Hour ( no more ) and Bronze Brush it, 10-12 Strokes "Wet" with, the Cop remover on, a bronze brush ( then dry ).
2) Place, a Cotton Patch, swabbed / slathered, heavily with JB's over, a Bronze Brush ( fairly Tight Bore Fit ) and give the Barrel another, 10 - 12 Strokes ONE way, THEN,.. Clean, thoroughly / light oil, done, Dry Bore before, shooting ! ( 3 ) Maybe, you'd want to, shoot another, 10-15 Rounds and re-clean the Rifle again ( NO JB's this Time ), JUST to be SURE that, the Barrel's been, fully,.. "smoothed out" !
My Factory, Tikka Barrels, SHINE like Chrome using this Method and and do NOT, "Hold" much, Carbon or Copper, Fouling, when done THIS way.
All 3 of my Tikka's shoot, SUB, 3/4 MOA and SUB,.. 1/2 MOA on My,.. "Good Days",.. Good Luck and Let us Know how it,.. goes !

Last edited:
The factory Remington's shot core Lock's and I shot Nosler Accubonds,no barnes.May use Hammers if I can get good accuracy with them.
I went through 2 can's of Wipe Out and used the Accelarator with it and no luck at all.
Like Idaho Lefty said I soaked it with several different copper solvents and scrubbed like heck and finally got it clean.Took 3 days and soaked all night with Wipe Out.
I'm now careful not to shoot too many in one outing just so I don't spend 3 days again cleaning.

The Wipe-out, probably isn't Strong enough,..
I use,.. Barnes C-10 or, Sweets 7.62 and a 1/2 Hour gets it,.. Done !
Try the JB's method that, I posted above, to get your Barrel's Throat "area" and Rifling,.. deburred / Smooth !

JB's cuts the time for sure.I use it now all the time on that factory rifle.
I had a 30-06 rebarrelled with a Shillen select and it cleans like a charm.15-20 minutes and its done!That includes the bolt and going over torque specs.