Barrel break - in ??? What do you do ???

Yesiamapirate

As I posted a couple of days ago, I have a new Savage 110 High Country in 6.5 Creedmoor .. For those who may not be familiar with this rifle, it has a spiraled fluted heavy barrel with a 1:10 RH twist .. I plan on sighting in this rifle Sunday or Monday with Federal Match 140 ELD. (I plan to use the Hornady Precision Hunter 143 ELD-X for any whitetail hunting.)

My question is how would YOU break this barrel in ???

Wedgy

You sure about that twist rate ? An 8 would be more likely.
There are a million barrel break in threads as well as on every barrel manufacturers website, easy search

1894C

Shoot clean repeat the first 10 shots. Then shoot twice then clean to 20. After that cleaning depends on the rifle. I have a couple hunting rifles that get cleaned once a year right after the season. Match rifles that get cleaned after ever match. Depends on the rifle really.

Yesiamapirate

You sure about that twist rate ? An 8 would be more likely.
There are a million barrel break in threads as well as on every barrel manufacturers website, easy search
I am not sure about many things... but the twist rate listed on the Savage web site is 1:10... And I did do a search for similar threads but seems like there was no definitive process to evolve from the ones I read ... Very little consensus on any one processes, so I decided to pose the question anew where I could interact wit those who choose to opine and pick their brain... Sorry to be repetitive but I want to do it right

FEENIX

LRH Team Member
You will hear plenty or versions. Others might even say it is a waste of time and money. "I" have a slightly modified version of Lilja's break-in procedure ...

For an effective break-in the barrel should be cleaned after every shot for the first 10-12 rounds or until copper fouling stops. Our procedure is to push a cotton patch that is wet with solvent through the barrel. This will remove much of the powder fouling and wet the inside of the barrel with solvent. Next, wet a bronze brush (not a nylon brush) with solvent and stroke the barrel 5-10 times. Follow this by another wet patch and then one dry patch. Now soak the barrel with a strong copper removing solvent until all of the blue mess is removed from the barrel. The copper fouling will be heavy for a few rounds and then taper off quickly in just one or two shots. Once it has stopped or diminished significantly it is time to start shooting 5 shot groups, cleaning after each one. After 25-30 rounds clean at a normal interval of 10-25 rounds. Your barrel is now broken-in.

Yesiamapirate

You will hear plenty or versions. Others might even say it is a waste of time and money. "I" have a slightly modified version of Lilja's break-in procedure ...

For an effective break-in the barrel should be cleaned after every shot for the first 10-12 rounds or until copper fouling stops. Our procedure is to push a cotton patch that is wet with solvent through the barrel. This will remove much of the powder fouling and wet the inside of the barrel with solvent. Next, wet a bronze brush (not a nylon brush) with solvent and stroke the barrel 5-10 times. Follow this by another wet patch and then one dry patch. Now soak the barrel with a strong copper removing solvent until all of the blue mess is removed from the barrel. The copper fouling will be heavy for a few rounds and then taper off quickly in just one or two shots. Once it has stopped or diminished significantly it is time to start shooting 5 shot groups, cleaning after each one. After 25-30 rounds clean at a normal interval of 10-25 rounds. Your barrel is now broken-in.
Thank you Feenix !! This is what I was looking for ... An exact procedure to follow...
Yes, it is 1:8"
Savage lists it as 1:10 on their website ????

Mram10us

LRH Team Member
There are a million thread about barrel break-in. You will see mr krieger "just shoots" his new barrels, even though their website lists a procedure. Lots of variants. I've done both ways but have gone back to a break-in.

Recent Posts