Barrel break in true or not?

Have you watched a GOOD button barrel being made?
Theres some bad info going on.
Yes - I have been part of the process for both of them being made, first hand, both in volume and in custom manufacture. For me and my thing - cut rifle will be my choice.

To be clear, I never said button wouldn't shoot nor have I said they aren't great barrels, I simply stated what I know to be true. Buttoning does create more stress, does require more finishing, and are faster and cheaper to be made than cut. Barbourcreek kinda confirmed that with the Benchmark process - I also stated that no matter cut or button, breaking in a barrel causes no harm and has no true downside so if it could help, why not do it while you are working up your load, zeroing, and setting up your new barrel for optimal performance

Yes - I have been part of the process for both of them being made, first hand, both in volume and in custom manufacture. For me and my thing - cut rifle will be my choice.
That is everybody's choice, but to say one is better than another is wrong.
The process of both is wether its a good or mediocre barrel.
The last step to a cut barrel is the finish lapping for a reason.
With the proper tooling and " Pre-lapping on a button barrel which should only take 30 hand laps if the drilling and bore reaming is done correctly, only cleaning and stress relieving.
After the button is pulled there should be no lapping that has to be done, that is were the follower comes in if its right.
The late Stan Taylor from Douglas did not finish lap there barrels either.

I have 1 that once you hit 15 rounds it needs to be cleaned. The copper layer is thin but the group opens up. Takes only 10 minutes of cleaning to get it back to tight groups
Your Barrel is, a GOOD Candidate for,.. LAPPING ( Lite,.. Polishing ).
Clean all, Copper / Carbon out, THEN, "Slather" some JB's on, a Patch over, a fairly Tight, Bronze Brush for about, 10 to 12 "Strokes", ONE Way thru Bore, then,.. CLEAN thoroughly, before shooting. I do this to, ALL of, My New,.. Factory, Rifles, They "Shoot" great and, CLEAN Up,.. Easily !
Just make sure to, CLEAN,.."Well" after, doing this ! Lots of Competitive shooters, Clean and restore Accuracy with,.. JB's or, IOSSO.
Saves Me, a LOT of Ammo to, DO it,.. this way !

Last edited:
All benchmark barrels (button) are double heat then Cryo-treated.
Hey James,

just clarify to all the doubters if you get special treatment from Benchmark or the gunsmith selects only the higher graded barrels for you. This is what I am reading in between the lines from some of these post. So, I guess I wanted to hear it straight up.

Thanks,
Rick

If you have a good barrel and a good gunsmith, there is no reason to perform some sort of break in procedure. Just go shoot, get some zeroes, if it is is new caliber, do a little preliminary load development, if not check your existing loads. The 'wearing in/breaking in' will take care of itself.

I'm also skeptical that a crappy barrel or crappy gunsmithing can be improved with any sort of break in procedure.

When a Barrel is Chambered, the "Throat Area", HAS Minor "Burrs" from, the Reamer and Un-Less, Polished / Lapped, that area can be, Problematic and, "can" accumulate,.. Carbon and Copper ( It's NOT,.. "Rocket Science" ).
Sometimes, "Shooting" solves, the "Burr Issue",.. sometimes,.. NOT !

Last edited:
A long time ago I received a new M24 and had to break in the barrel. I would tell you that my initial 3 round group was about 1".

The process used by the military takes 100 rounds. 10 x 1 round and clean to metal after each shot.
10x 3 rounds
10x 5 rounds
1x 10 rounds

Post break-in I was shooting one ragged hole.

With that said, modern technology has produced better quality barrels and in some cases barrels that are lapped depending on who you get the rifle from.

My recommendation is to follow the break-in procedure recommended by your barrel manufacturer unless otherwise noted.

Recent Posts