Barrel break in true or not?

Factory barrel like remington or savage with chatter marks from one end to the other, maybe, I'd say yes. Aftermarket polished, no.

1676330888131.jpeg

Even the people who make high end match barrels seem to disagree on this question. It's like breaking in the engine of a new car. Different manufacturers will tell you different things.
Big difference is that a new car comes with a warranty. I've never seen a barrel manufacturer give a warranty. I'm not saying that you can't shoot a new barrel and it won't be easy to clean, have no burrs, and perform well. But if I am going to buy a new barrel or gun I'm going to hedge my bet by breaking in the barrel after all we are talking about long range shooting so everything effects the travel of the bullet.

IME - button rifled barrels can require more than a cut rifle barrel - even with that said, it is a barrel by barrel decision. Buttoning does cause more stress and usually requires more finish work but the same can be needed if a cut rifle barrel is using a worn cutter or a process that is a bit fast.

Most folks dont have a bore scope to tell if the barrel was properly lapped and finished. Many folks arent really sure of exactly what to look for either. So as a rule - break it in. The 15 rounds or so to break in a barrel are inconsequential to the long term barrel life so if there is no other down side, why not?

Break in can also help you develop your load and zero for your ladder while you are at it.

Do you really need to?

You are doing barrel break in-- you even say that it takes about 10 rounds to smooth out the reamer cut and about 200 rounds for the barrel to stabilize ( and you will use it with students to finish the break in over the weekend)--- what you are really saying is that you don't clean between break in shots--- but you are breaking it in and you even call it "breaking in the barrel" in the video.

Your title should say "no need to clean between shots during barrel break in"

Starting off with a new premium hand lapped barrel, during load development phase, I shoot approx. 25rnds
I patch out the carbon to reveal the copper fouling verified by borescope
I clean out all the copper, apply graphite/lock ease through the bore and shoot next session
By 3rd cleaning I see very little to practically no copper buildup
I think this is breaking in a barrel, and will have all my load development done to start shooting higher round count sessions

You are doing barrel break in-- you even say that it takes about 10 rounds to smooth out the reamer cut and about 200 rounds for the barrel to stabilize ( and you will use it with students to finish the break in over the weekend)--- what you are really saying is that you don't clean between break in shots--- but you are breaking it in and you even call it "breaking in the barrel" in the video.

Your title should say "no need to clean between shots during barrel break in"
Agree

IME - stabilization is even a relative term and 200 rounds is extreme. Every barrel is different and barrel contour, material, heat, and other factors have affect on stabilization. I have had barrels shoot at 5 rounds, at 40 rounds, and sometimes up to 80 rounds; and by shoot I mean around 1/4 MOA consistently.

He is getting the absolute best barrel available, hand finished and selected for him by his smith, so he can do this 5 days a week - quality control that is off the charts and somethings "us regular guys" can only hope for something close to when we buy a barrel. If they cut rifle, he can opt not to break in but again, why not if it does 3 jobs at once.

I have spoken directly to multiple master smiths and been present in barrel company manufacturing floors where the bbls are made. Talked directly to the namesake barrel makers over lunch and to a person, they have all said 10-20 rounds of good break in has NO DOWN SIDE, so if it could possibly help, why not.

Agree

IME - stabilization is even a relative term and 200 rounds is extreme. Every barrel is different and barrel contour, material, heat, and other factors have affect on stabilization. I have had barrels shoot at 5 rounds, at 40 rounds, and sometimes up to 80 rounds; and by shoot I mean around 1/4 MOA consistently.

He is getting the absolute best barrel available, hand finished and selected for him by his smith, so he can do this 5 days a week - quality control that is off the charts and somethings "us regular guys" can only hope for something close to when we buy a barrel. If they cut rifle, he can opt not to break in but again, why not if it does 3 jobs at once.

I have spoken directly to multiple master smiths and been present in barrel company manufacturing floors where the bbls are made. Talked directly to the namesake barrel makers over lunch and to a person, they have all said 10-20 rounds of good break in has NO DOWN SIDE, so if it could possibly help, why not.
F-Class shooter told me a button barrel settles in faster than a cut barrel. This true?

I laugh every time I see someone "breaking a barrel in". I'd bet dollars to donuts that most of those clowns do far more damage to the barrel with the cleaning rod, than good with the "fire lapping".

I know of a factory Tikka .260, that's had well over 300 rounds through it, and never been cleaned. Last time out it shot a 5 shot group in the 1/2" range…. just like it did when it was brand new.