Barrel Break-in at Gun Club?

The closest outdoor range that I could find is about an hour and a half away. I'll probably just have to use my local indoor range and see if they'll just let me slide on the time limit. I'm sure if I do it on a Monday during work hours it might not be busy at all.
When I lived in So Cal some of the better ranges were an hour to hour and a half away. I'd encourage you to make the longer drive when you get to seriously breaking in the rifle. The issue is rushing and heating up the barrel. So I'd use the indoor range to sight in and maybe do some light breaking in. And then make the longer drive and shoot all day with several rifles or firearms. Besides short range indoor ranges won't let you push the limits of the rifle. Kind of a waste of ammo. Just my two cents from the peanut gallery.

So barrel break is one of those things that will get any Forum up in arms and start a large debate. Do I do it? Nope! Am I shooting F class? Nope! Don't waste your time. Now get some popcorn!

I never had to break in a barrel. Barrels will speed up but no break in is necessary. Now maybe after 100 rounds a JB paste and Kroil oil trchnique, I've only done that once for a specific barrel. I never noticed the difference.

So as far as break in, I just shoot. A good barrel is a good barrel

I break in my barrels if the rifle is new. And if older used I'll do a JB cleaning on them. Not sure why people get wound up on it. I have probably 10k rounds on my PSS and it cleaned up better after a lapping with JB and barrel break in. YMMV.

I too belong to a range that only allows one hour at a time. I have broke in three barrels there.

These have all been after market barrels though, not factory.
One was a shoot and clean for about 5 shots. It told me it was doen coppering up.
Two of them were done in three shots and clean, while working up to pressure in one grain increments with the mageneto speed attached.

I haven't done the shoot one and clean for a bit now. You can get a few three shot groups and clean done in an hour if you are organized and don't show up and make a yard sale. Three wet patches with BTE, bronze brush, 5 dry patches, dry out the chamber with a t-shirt on a pistol loop...three more...repeat. You aren't deep cleaning, so you can move quickly.

Call and ask when they are not busiest...maybe play hookie from work in the middle of the week...that has worked also, had the range all to myself.

...With all that said, I currently have an aftermarket barrel that I broke in and did what I thought, read, seen done to make it a shooter...This *** is about to go to the train station...

Do what ever trips your trigger...It's all voodoo man...

Here's the specific procedure in the Bergara Owners Manual for B14 rifles.

View attachment 354800

I'd agree that one hour is not enough time to do a full break-in, following these directions.

Any chance there's public land nearby (from my understanding, can be rare in parts/all of Texas) or know anyone with acreage that will let you shoot for a few hours?

If pressed for time, I'd do a very good cleaning before any shots are even fired (many threads and youtube video's). It's right up there with religion and politics on the scale of public debate on the right way to do it, so I'll stay out of the "how" discussion. Then, go to the range and get the scope zeroed. Come home and clean it really good again and call it good.
That alone would rule out a Bergara rifle for me. There's no reason to clean a barrel that often if the manufacturing process is good.

I'd venture to say there's more damage down to barrels by too much cleaning.

All I can say is I've "lapped" my barrels with JB cleaning compound, broke in new barrels, and shot them for hundreds of rounds between cleanings. They still perform well. It all depends on the tool and the performance expectations.

That alone would rule out a Bergara rifle for me. There's no reason to clean a barrel that often if the manufacturing process is good.

I'd venture to say there's more damage down to barrels by too much cleaning.
Yep used to religiously clean my guns, now I don't unless the groups start opening…if it ain't broke stop trying to fix it.

I tried the not cleaning thing based on some video. I pulled the rifle out a few months later and tan a patch through and it was orange. Mine get cleaned always now. Typically not more than 50 on the lighter cartridges and usually no more than 25-30 on the bigger. They do get fouled before hunting with them though. Some habits die hard I guess. I live in VA and it is humid, but not that much in the house, in the safe.

Not sure bench resters are worried about damaging their barrels. They clean often. I mean afterall we are launching hot plasma and a metal thingy down it as fast as we can. If it could be a blaster, it would be I am sure.

Recent Posts