Barrel Break-in at Gun Club?

WilBloodworth

This topic is tangential to the normal "Barrel Break-in" topic in that I'm only concerned with the location and the amount of time needed. I've never broken in a rifle before and did not even know that was a thing. My father had all the rifles and did all the cleaning. I was never involved in purchasing or cleaning. I highly doubt he did much beyond zeroing and cleaning.

My new (and first purchase) rifle is a Bergara B-14 HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor. I want to set it up correctly and keep it clean. I called my local gun club and asked two questions. 1) Do I need to make a reservation for the rifle range and 2) Is there a maximum time limit for the range?

They told me there is a 1-hour time limit. Based on everything I've read and watched, I need to clean after each shot up to the first five shots (and so on, you know the deal). One hour does not seem like it will even be remotely enough time to break in my rifle. Also, I think it might annoy other shooters that I'm sitting there cleaning my rifle after each shot?

Do any of you break in your rifles at the range? I do not own land so my options are severely limited.

Thank you,

- Wil

Depends on how the range club operates--- can't touch rifle while others are down range.
Some clubs have "set" time allotments-- example of 15 min shooing, 10 min downrange for targets, back to shooting-- over and over
Other ranges are run by members actually shooting so it could be 30 min shooting with 10 downtime.
Other ranges you get your own private lane and can do as you like In regards to shoot/down range time.

So it's gonna be range/club specific

I would see if you can find a different range, possibly an outdoor one.
Our local indoor range charges by the hour, and I drive an hour to an outdoor range with no time constraints. I'm often there for 3 hour sessions doing load development.

This topic is tangential to the normal "Barrel Break-in" topic in that I'm only concerned with the location and the amount of time needed. I've never broken in a rifle before and did not even know that was a thing. My father had all the rifles and did all the cleaning. I was never involved in purchasing or cleaning. I highly doubt he did much beyond zeroing and cleaning.

My new (and first purchase) rifle is a Bergara B-14 HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor. I want to set it up correctly and keep it clean. I called my local gun club and asked two questions. 1) Do I need to make a reservation for the rifle range and 2) Is there a maximum time limit for the range?

They told me there is a 1-hour time limit. Based on everything I've read and watched, I need to clean after each shot up to the first five shots (and so on, you know the deal). One hour does not seem like it will even be remotely enough time to break in my rifle. Also, I think it might annoy other shooters that I'm sitting there cleaning my rifle after each shot?

Do any of you break in your rifles at the range? I do not own land so my options are severely limited.

Thank you,

- Wil
Is this range public or private? If private are the rules different for members? If time limit on range does this apply to all days or just weekends? Around here on a private range (gun club) They have the standard range hot / cold rules if more than one person is using that range, many gun clubs have several ranges on a single property... As soon as you complete your probation period you get a key and can shoot whenever you want. Sounds like you just need to go out there and find out what's what.

Thank you,

- Wil
See if there are any other Public (State operated) ranges that don't have time limits so that you have the time to break-in you rifle. You may want to drive a little more distance for a range that is not used much.
Should not effect other shooters if you clean between each shot unless you are at a range where there are 20 other shooters waiting in line to shoot.
Everyone has their way to break-in a barrel. You could go by what the rifle/barrel manufacture recommends.
There are literally thousands of hunters/people that buy a new rifle, take to the range and shoot off a box of cartridges just to sight it in without any break-in.
We use the shoot-clean method and always take additional rifles to shoot in-between breaking a new rifle in. Usually shoot several hours at a time, but have our own range in the back yard.

Many opinions on weather barrel break-in is necessary. Some opinions differentiate between factory or custom barrels. Even barrel manufactures debate the issue. Bottom line is it may or may not be beneficial.
Perhaps use your first one-hour range period to shoot several three round groups. Don't clean between groups and do not let the barrel get hot. The first one or two groups will foul the barrel. If after that the groups begin to get smaller, then probably no need for a time and ammo consuming break-in. If the groups stay large a break-in may help or the gun does not like the ammo you are shooting.
Tip: use an appropriately size chamber guide when cleaning your new rifle.

Boy this one's going to go down the rabbit hole fast..... I think barrel break in makes them easier to clean. I have serious doubts that it affects accuracy to any great degree, especially on a hunting rifle. I do believe it is worth it and since I started doing it later in life I also think my guns foul less. It could also just be I can afford better barrels that foul less to begin with so who really knows. I do know it is a way to sell a little more ammo!!! I also know If you aren't properly versed in cleaning a barrel you can easily do more harm than good with a cleaning rod.

Here's the specific procedure in the Bergara Owners Manual for B14 rifles.

1648824665778.png

I'd agree that one hour is not enough time to do a full break-in, following these directions.

Any chance there's public land nearby (from my understanding, can be rare in parts/all of Texas) or know anyone with acreage that will let you shoot for a few hours?

If pressed for time, I'd do a very good cleaning before any shots are even fired (many threads and youtube video's). It's right up there with religion and politics on the scale of public debate on the right way to do it, so I'll stay out of the "how" discussion. Then, go to the range and get the scope zeroed. Come home and clean it really good again and call it good.

Here's the specific procedure in the Bergara Owners Manual for B14 rifles.

View attachment 354800

I'd agree that one hour is not enough time to do a full break-in, following these directions.

Any chance there's public land nearby (from my understanding, can be rare in parts/all of Texas) or know anyone with acreage that will let you shoot for a few hours?

If pressed for time, I'd do a very good cleaning before any shots are even fired (many threads and youtube video's). It's right up there with religion and politics on the scale of public debate on the right way to do it, so I'll stay out of the "how" discussion. Then, go to the range and get the scope zeroed. Come home and clean it really good again and call it good.
What this does NOT say is for this to work the barrel has to be cleaned down to the bare metal each time. No fouling or copper can be present. This is especially important because you are burnishing (a form of lapping) the barrel with the bullets you are shooting. So don't think wet patch, dry patch and shoot. It has to all come out or the burnishing will be uneven. Could be worse than just shooting the rifle in the first place.