gun juice and barrel break in

bman73

getting closer to my Lapua showing up and am going to use Gun Juice on it. Even if it all it does is make cleaning it easier I figure it's worth it let alone if it doeas any of the other stuff they say it does. Any ways my question is when using it on a brand new rifle do you do the shoot and clean after every shot for the first 5 then after every five shots till 30 or so? I will be using the heat gun method as was recomended by the guy from Microlon on the phone as opposed to the swab and shoot that some people use. Any and all advice appreciated. Thanks in advance

Bryan

I would complete the repetitions of doing the shoot once - clean back to bare steel bore until the bore substantially stops copper fouling. For quality barrels, this is often 10 shots or less. After these initial bore break-in shots have lapped any roughness out of the new bore, I would then apply the Gun Juice using the latest heat gun application method.

So break the bore in bare-back, so to speak. Nothing but bullet jacket running in direct contact with a squeaky clean bore (no Gun Juice applied). After the clean - shoot once - clean - shoot once - clean... process largely eliminates the copper fouling experienced during the first few bullets fired, THEN treat with Gun Juice!

That's how I do it. I don't want the Gun Juice in the bore interfering with the lapping of the new bore during the break-in process. lightbulb

I would complete the repetitions of doing the shoot once - clean back to bare steel bore until the bore substantially stops copper fouling. For quality barrels, this is often 10 shots or less. After these initial bore break-in shots have lapped any roughness out of the new bore, I would then apply the Gun Juice using the latest heat gun application method.

So break the bore in bare-back, so to speak. Nothing but bullet jacket running in direct contact with a squeaky clean bore (no Gun Juice applied). After the clean - shoot once - clean - shoot once - clean... process largely eliminates the copper fouling experienced during the first few bullets fired, THEN treat with Gun Juice!

That's how I do it. I don't want the Gun Juice in the bore interfering with the lapping of the new bore during the break-in process. lightbulb
Thanks, never thought of it as interfering with lapping process untill you put out there and it sure does make sense now that I think of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.