Barnes LRX

Am I the only one that has a feeling LRX are going to be a bust like the MRX...high bc and high price but poor performance? Maybe it's just me but Nolser and Hornady tried but had to compromise with long ogive and high expansion speeds..1800 min.

I just order a few boxes of the 175 gr should get them in april just in time for the weather to warm up so i can go lay in my field and start testing them.
Ive had really good luck with the 168 gr ttsx so im hoping these new lrx work out.

Barnes is their own worst enemy.

Because they make such a great bullet, we have unreasonable hopes and expectations.

Improved BC's will be welcomed especially if they are priced more reasonably than the MRX.

They just aren't the optimal design for expansion at lower impact velocities encountered at longer ranges. But, I hope they prove me wrong.

I just got off of the phone with Barnes tech support. I've been doing load development using the .308 200g Tipped TSX and just noticed that it has become a 'discontinued' product. Yet, a .308 200g bullet "Designed after the best-selling Tipped Triple-Shock™ X Bullet®" showed up in the LRX lineup. I had a suspicion that they just moved the bullet over to the LRX line unchanged so that they could charge more for it....since it is now a 'long range' product (as if it wasn't *before*).

Tech support confirmed my suspicion. The guy I talked to said that the 200g .308 LRX is the *exact* same bullet as the 200g .308 TTSX.

So, the good news is that the bullet that I've been putting time/energy into developing a load for isn't going away. The bad news is that now I'll have to pay a couple of bucks more per box, due to some silly marketing BS.

--Ben

I just got off of the phone with Barnes tech support. I've been doing load development using the .308 200g Tipped TSX and just noticed that it has become a 'discontinued' product. Yet, a .308 200g bullet "Designed after the best-selling Tipped Triple-Shock™ X Bullet®" showed up in the LRX lineup. I had a suspicion that they just moved the bullet over to the LRX line unchanged so that they could charge more for it....since it is now a 'long range' product (as if it wasn't *before*).

Tech support confirmed my suspicion. The guy I talked to said that the 200g .308 LRX is the *exact* same bullet as the 200g .308 TTSX.

So, the good news is that the bullet that I've been putting time/energy into developing a load for isn't going away. The bad news is that now I'll have to pay a couple of bucks more per box, due to some silly marketing BS.

--Ben

I thought it was odd the 200 gr. TTSX and LRX had the exact same B.C.
I can tell you the 175 gr. .308 is a new/different bullet; I just received some from Midway last week. It has the exact same O.A.L. as the 180 gr. TTSX. The boattail and ogive have been lengthened. 175 gr. LRX has 3 grooves; 180 gr. TTSX has 4.
I've loaded a few for my RUM, but haven't had a chance to shoot them yet.

I thought it was odd the 200 gr. TTSX and LRX had the exact same B.C.
I can tell you the 175 gr. .308 is a new/different bullet; I just received some from Midway last week. It has the exact same O.A.L. as the 180 gr. TTSX. The boattail and ogive have been lengthened. 175 gr. LRX has 3 grooves; 180 gr. TTSX has 4.
I've loaded a few for my RUM, but haven't had a chance to shoot them yet.

I'm loading the .308 200g TTSX's into my RUM as well. Last weekend they were shooting groups half the size of the Accubonds I was testing. I'm looking forward to continuing to play with them as 'LRX'. I've got 5 loads built (and loaded) right now......just need some time to get out to the range and see how they do.

Here's the announcement from Barnes: New Barnes LRX® | Barnes Bullets

2 new bullets:
- 7mm 145g
- .308 175g

2 bullets moved from the TTSX line:
- .308 200g
- .338 265g

--Ben

I have just started working with the 145 grn. 7mm LRX and in the 7mm-08 they are very accurate especially for a Barnes bullet. Shooting them at 2800+ I have groups of .4 and down and that is without taking the diameter away so you see what types of groups I'm getting and this is with a 7mm-08 that is not particularly accurate!

there is a another post on this forum dealing with the 708 and the lrx but we think it comes in at around 530. that is what we use out of my 708 at 2850.

wow .530 is better than I had imagined, need to load them up and try'em out..168's should be really good.

The 280 LRX in .338 is quite accurate... no reports from the hunting field as of yet.

I have a client who is now loading this in his .338 Lapua Magnum (Sako TRG-42)...

We arrived at an OCW load of 92.2 grains of Retumbo in Lapua brass... OAL escapes me at the moment... tiny little cloverleafs at 100 yards.

I wasn't sure how the bullet would tolerate that much Retumbo... but in his Sako, it certainly did. Velocity in the mid 2700's... 2750 or so, IIRC.

Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.