Barnes LRX

I am almost drooling to see the BC numbers for the LRX, I use Barnes exclusively in my hunting rifles. To have the added advantage of the higher BC really has some merit, I hope the great people at Barnes did their home work & don't end up with some piddly *** .015 increase!! On the other hand, i'm a little disappointed at the same time, I just decided to switch from the 180 MRX to the 168 TTSX in my 7.82 Lazzeroni Patriot.... ****! Now it looks like I'll have to switch again!! Well at least the folks at Barnes won't be without any of my income for a while! :D

One of the LRX they list has been on sale for a while . The 338 Lapua 265 TTSX has a G1 BC of .575. Not bad but not that great either compared to the 225 TTSX or the 300 Berger.

Then again maybe the LRX isn't the Lapua TTSX.

One of the LRX they list has been on sale for a while . The 338 Lapua 265 TTSX has a G1 BC of .575. Not bad but not that great either compared to the 225 TTSX or the 300 Berger.

Then again maybe the LRX isn't the Lapua TTSX.

Perhaps it isn't since they list it as being new for 2011, I don't know.

According to Barnes tech support, the 338 265 and 285 are the "LRX" bullets and the list BCs are .575 and .585.

As far as the 175 and 200 30 cals, he would not budge on even projected BCs. He said they had done their firing tests and either had or were shortly going to test them with doppler radar before they go public with the BCs.

He also said they expand at 1600 FPS using water as a test medium. Who knows, maybe we will get lucky and they will produce a good product here. A 175 grain solid bullet that opens at 1600 FPS with a .525ish BC that can be fired in a standard barrel would be a dream come true for us 308 winnie fans.

M

According to Barnes tech support, the 338 265 and 285 are the "LRX" bullets and the list BCs are .575 and .585.

As far as the 175 and 200 30 cals, he would not budge on even projected BCs. He said they had done their firing tests and either had or were shortly going to test them with doppler radar before they go public with the BCs.

He also said they expand at 1600 FPS using water as a test medium. Who knows, maybe we will get lucky and they will produce a good product here. A 175 grain solid bullet that opens at 1600 FPS with a .525ish BC that can be fired in a standard barrel would be a dream come true for us 308 winnie fans.

M

Thanks for that heads up!

You are right about the 175 for the 308, I would like that. I hope the 200 gr. at least matches the 200 Accubond, if not I will just run with that. If it is at least .575ish it will be an exciting all round bullet.

For the 30cals, I'm real excited based on required twist rates... A 175 that needs a 1-11 is pretty sleek! I believe the 190 berger recommends 1-11 or 1-12 and the 210 1-10 or 1-11. While ones solid copper and the other jacketed it's not too accurate but does give you an idea. they better be real good for what barnes cost, or it won't make a difference wether they egsist or not to me...

I have shot some TTSX bullets that I really like, I think they have something with that and they seem to open well and do a better job than the TSX. I still haven't had put them on elk again since having problems with the TSX deflecting so bad at longer ranges. If these bullets are priced similar to the TTSX I may try them, if priced like the MRX not going to happen!
I do wonder how they will fit as far as length, in everything I shoot them in on the heavier end you have to seat them so stinking deep to fit the mag or stay of the lands that your into the case way deep.
I still have a hard time with the crap storm they started over LR hunting on their web site, you would have thought LR hunters were the root of all evil especially if you shoot a Berger, now they want my LR bullet money :rolleyes:

I got some 30 cal 200gr LRX in the mail last week, finally hurd back from the tech today about the bullet.
"The B.C is .546 the ogive is tangent at .5687" long. The grooves ended up making the bullet more accurate so we chose accuracy over B.C. value. I have attached load data. You can use the tsx data because they have the same bearing surface thus creating the same pressure."
So if its the same how is it any better then the ttsx, just becuase it has tangent ogive? well i loaded them up in my .300wby 78gr-82gr IMR7828 max coal in my wby is 3.570 so will see how that goes.

For the 30cals, I'm real excited based on required twist rates... A 175 that needs a 1-11 is pretty sleek! I believe the 190 berger recommends 1-11 or 1-12 and the 210 1-10 or 1-11. While ones solid copper and the other jacketed it's not too accurate but does give you an idea. they better be real good for what barnes cost, or it won't make a difference wether they egsist or not to me...

I bet they'll run just fine in 1:12" barrels. I have great accuracy/consistency with Berger 185's in my 12" twist. Others have done fine with 208 Amax out of 12" twist barrels. If they publish 1:11" for the Barnes 175's, it will probably be just to avoid any complaints from the occasional 12 or 13" twist that doesn't stabilize properly. Just my $.02

Just remember that it takes a bit more twist to stabilize an all copper bullet than a jacketed lead bullet. Hence the reason they recommend an 11x for the 180 and 175 TTSX and LRX.

M

Ahh, duly noted, thanks. I have only used Barnes bullets once before. I took a nice 5x5 elk at 375yds with a 7mag Sendero and 175 grain Barnes X that resulted in a fragged heart muscle. I believe the Sendero (since traded) had a 9.5 twist which was considered borderline or slower than needed for the 175. It shot decent 3/4MOA groups with no stability problems. But your point makes sense, thanks.

Last edited:
I receive a response from Barnes on the 175 grain LRX:

"The 200 grain is .546 and the 175 is not complete but it looks like it will fall in at .507 both shot at 300 yards."

I receive a response from Barnes on the 175 grain LRX:

"The 200 grain is .546 and the 175 is not complete but it looks like it will fall in at .507 both shot at 300 yards."

.507 , if that's true it will be quite good, the 180BT is listed at .507 & the 175MK at .496-.505 depending on vel. It would be neat to delope loads that print very close to the same with the BT or MK, a tall order I know, but worth a try.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.