ballistics for a 32 inch barrelled .338

I've been running the 225 ab, 225 hdy at 2900 fps with rl19 in my 338win #1 or the 250 Sierra at 2750 fps for a couple decades. I think a bit more than a 26" barrel might help a bit, but my brother's Lapua would still be faster by a bit. I guess I don't care too much about the Lapua; this rifle's bought and paid for.

I learned of this long, heavy barrel some years ago. Its' length should result in higher velocities, The barrels weight and length make any bedding decisions "up in the air" until after talking with Alex Sitman this week who made the Master Class stock I picked up.
If I can get within 100 fps of a 338 Lapuas' velocity, using 20-24% less powder, that concept almost violates applied physics.
WW

If I can get within 100 fps of a 338 Lapuas' velocity, using 20-24% less powder, that concept almost violates applied physics.
I think it's possible. Playing around in QL shows that the barrel length is still making a pretty good gain for you from 26 to 32". In the fact pattern that I ran full propellant burn was at 32.2".

338 WM - 86.0gn case capacity
RL 26 - 68.74gn
26" muzzle velocity - 2576 fps
28" muzzle velocity - 2621 fps
30" muzzle velocity - 2660 fps
32" muzzle velocity - 2696 fps

338 LM - 86.52gn
26" muzzle velocity - 2808 FPS

Mind you none of this is optimized, the pressures aren't very similar, there's about 50 more FPS to be had using RL17 or RL 16 in the 338 WM. I still found it interesting to race paper with the #2 ranked powder for the 338 LM in terms of speed directly with the same powder in the smaller case and adjusting barrel length. Shows why internal ballistics are important. Also shows that if you can stand a longer barrel that it's not a bad way to improve performance with some cases. Proof is offering some 28" CF barrels and light Palma barrels going out to 30" so it's not impossible to get (relatively) light, long barrels. Can't miss fast enough to kill an animal even if the case is the biggest bestest ever, size down and shoot something "less" and actually hit more is a perfectly good strategy. Kind of the inverse of "the barrel can only be 20" long, so make it a fire breather" which also works.

Barrel Length - Velocity Comparison: 338 WM - RL26 - 255 Shock Hammer
RL26 - 338 WM.jpg

Still love my big thumpers; 300 RUM, 338 LM, 30 SM, they aren't going anywhere. But part of why I like them is that they all can be (and are) downloaded to a lower spec for many uses.

This is all good if and only if every body else shooting a 338 can't have more than a 26 inch barrel. It is time to sit down and look at the advantage of tthe 300 grain bullets. They arelike the Energizer Bunny they just keep going and going.
At theshoots you go to are brakes banned if not get a good brake and a larger 338. I know you have invested so much in the Win Mag project. Sell those components and buy some new dies and take advantage of the biiger 338s. My 338 RUM with a heavy 30 inch barrel Sendero contour so not really heavy with a Cadex brake kick less than a 243. You may need some different powder but what you gain in this case will put a smile on your face. My rifle using Bertram brassss N570 powder and a mild load is shooting the Berger 300grn Elite Hunter at 2845fps. You guys in the states have more componenents at hand than we do here in Canada.

This is all good if and only if every body else shooting a 338 can't have more than a 26 inch barrel.
Why are so many people committed to telling him he's wrong? He doesn't care what other people are shooting.

There's no objective "better" here, there's only the subjective what he wants, which is a 338 WM within 100 FPS of a 338 LM.

I agree on your state of mind. If you can get higher velocity by having a longer barrel and use less powder your throat will thank you! As long as there is enough exiting pressure to push the pill out you have a winner! I don't need a 26nosler or a 6.5-300wby to achieve velocities, I just use a longer barrel for my 264wm which burns enough as it is. You can actually use less and help save the throat. If you want there is a m2 for sale at 17k +. The details state it has a 3.9" barrel. More like a 3.9ft.