Favorite Powder for a 20 inch barrel 7mm-08?

GA Sheephunter

My Nosler manual (I'm shooting 140gr Ballistic Tips) loads are all based on a 26" barrel. I realize I can just subtract 130 fps (23 fps x 6 inches) to guess my velocity, but I am wondering if I am blowing alot of the powder out the end because it's too slow burning. I have tried multiple Reloder 15 and Reloder 19 recipes, and have surprisingly gotten the better accuracy out of 45gr of Reloder 19. Sub 1 inch 3 shot groups @ 100 yds....But.... I can't leave well enough along and want to see if I can find a load with higher velocity. Guessing I'm around 2542 fps right now, and would like to get closer to 2700 if possible

Remember, 20 inch barrel

What powders would you all recommend?

Varget and the 7mm-08 are made for each other.
Fortunately Varget is becoming more and more available, both online and in LGS. Our little shop here even has it on the shelves now.

The same powders that give best velocity in long barrels, will still give the best velocity in short barrels, that doesn't change with barrel length. Also, especially in a case like a 7mm-08, even with the slower burning powders, all the powder is burned usually in 14-16". The longer barrels don't allow "more powder to burn", that isn't why velocity increases, the extra velocity comes from the existing pressure having more time (barrel length) to impart energy (thus equalling velocity) upon the bullet.

Where you can run into issues *sometimes* is with high muzzle pressures from the powders that give more velocity. The muzzle pressure decreases as the barrel gets longer, so a shorter barrel with high intensity powders can have a high muzzle pressure, which *could* upset bullet flight, leading to erratic e.s. and/or poor accuracy.

Bottom line, if your using a powder that gave best velocity in your longer barrel, and accuracy/e.s. is acceptable to you, then there isn't a good reason to change.

That being said, I like Varget in a 7mm-08.

The same powders that give best velocity in long barrels, will still give the best velocity in short barrels, that doesn't change with barrel length. Also, especially in a case like a 7mm-08, even with the slower burning powders, all the powder is burned usually in 14-16". The longer barrels don't allow "more powder to burn", that isn't why velocity increases, the extra velocity comes from the existing pressure having more time (barrel length) to impart energy (thus equalling velocity) upon the bullet.

Where you can run into issues *sometimes* is with high muzzle pressures from the powders that give more velocity. The muzzle pressure decreases as the barrel gets longer, so a shorter barrel with high intensity powders can have a high muzzle pressure, which *could* upset bullet flight, leading to erratic e.s. and/or poor accuracy.

Bottom line, if your using a powder that gave best velocity in your longer barrel, and accuracy/e.s. is acceptable to you, then there isn't a good reason to change.

That being said, I like Varget in a 7mm-08.
Long way of getting a short answer. But it's interesting I learned from it.

"Varget"

We have AR2208 IN Australia. Made by Thales/ADI. They sell it to Hogdon who bottle it as Varget.

I've reloaded and used my 7mm-08.Tikka CTR with a 20" barrel a fair bit in the past. Everyone said, "Use Varget", except the Aussies who say AR2208.

Varget.

QL shows a max load of RL (43.0 gr) burns 98.99% of powder in a 20" barrel. Max load of RL19 (49.3 gr) burns 93.4%. My 15" pistol likes H4895 with the 90 and 120 hammers.

Go to powder for for 7-08 for years has has been and still is H414 which is now Win 760. Same powders as H414 is packaged and sold as Win760
I had and still have some H-414, but thought it was discontinued years ago from Hodgdon. Was almost the same as H-4350 in shooting our 260Rem.
So Win 760 is the same as H-414??? We also have some Win 760 stored away.
Why would Hodgdon discontinue H-414 and re-market it as Win 760?

I had and still have some H-414, but thought it was discontinued years ago from Hodgdon. Was almost the same as H-4350 in shooting our 260Rem.
So Win 760 is the same as H-414??? We also have some Win 760 stored away.
Why would Hodgdon discontinue H-414 and re-market it as Win 760?
from what I understand they have always been the same powder. One lot of it will be labeled 760, the next may just be h414

As for powder, 4895.
Varget works I suppose, but I'm not chasing my tail every couple years trying to find it. I gave up on burning that one 20+ years ago as it really didn't live up to the hype. There are 15 or more mid range powders that will work great in the 7-08 but a few like sta-ball may be rather dirty burning; a few like Varget are sometimes hard to get. I guess find a load and lay in a bit of supply.

Last edited: