Ballistic comparison of 2 25-06 factory loads

Question- if I sight my gun when temp is 85 degrees will it shoot different when temp (hunting condition) is say 20 degrees?

Depends on what powder you're running, but generally the lower the temp, the lower the velocity, but not always. Extreme powders by Hodgdon show the least swings in velocity with temp differences.
If there is a difference, it will only be slight.
I ALWAYS check zero when I hit my hunting area, had an incident a long time ago, took a shot at a trophy stag 3 times, missed every time. It walked off and was never seen again, back at camp put a target out at 100, took a shot, no hit, brought target in to 50, took a shot, NO HIT, brought it in to 25, took a shot, hit top right hand corner of target, around 12" high from aim and 14" right. Somehow, the scope must have got knocked because the rifle had been sighted in and checked for zero only one week before our trip.
Lesson learned.

Cheers.
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts