.25-06 loads 22" barrel

memyselfni

Hi i am just starting to reload for my new Tikka T3 2506. i will be shooting sika, red and fallow deer with this rifle. Can anybody suggest a good starting point for bullets/powder with this game in mind? i have some once fired Hornady brass, is this good brass? lastly i realise that 22" is not ideal for this caliber but any idea of reasonable attainable velocity with the various bullet weights and carefull loading?

Thanks

A very accurate load that I have used for years to take hundreds of white tail deer came from the Sierra #4 manual as far as the powder and charge goes. It was the accuracy load. 49 grs IMR 4350, I use Rem cases and CCI 250 mag primers with the 117 Sierra Pro Hunter flat base bullet. Out of my 26" barrel it does 3000 fps and will shoot 3/4" groups at 300 yards on a calm day. The Sierra 117 gr bullet really hammers game.

thanks for this, will look into it a bit more. im guessing that i would lose maybe 50 fps per inch? no idea really, i like the idea of a 22" barrel as with an overbarrel suppressor on it, takes it to same overall length as a 26" barrel. i have a box of swift scirrocco 2 100gr here to try, are these a good bullet? also thinking about picking up some 80gr barnes ttsx, as i have had extremly good results with these in my 270 WSM. Hoping to reach 3500 with this bullet, do you think this is doable?

Thanks

H4831sc is another real good powder, use Win LR primers and Win Brass that has been decently prepped. Real nice combination.

Gary

When I loaded for my dad's 25-06, I used 120grn BTHP SGK with CCI 200 primer, and 52.8grn of IMR4831. I loaded into the lands and produced one hole groups at 100yds. At the time I didn't do any chrony work or shoot farther than about 150yds. It was a good load though. I think it was a 22" barrel also. I was a Howa barreled action in a custom wood stock.

Tank

The Scirrocco is a good bullet as far as ballistics go but they do have a thicker jacket and are hard to get to shoot well in some rifles. With the 80 gr ttsx I would take a long look at IMR 4064 powder. I have found that lighter bullets need a little faster burning power in the 25-06 and with your shorter barrel it may pay off with more velocity and less muzzle blast. You should be able to get 3400 fps with the 80 gr but just hope the accuracy is at that speed.
A couple other standard time proven loads for the 25-06 is with 117 gr bullets, 52 grs H-4831 and with 100 gr bullets is 52 grs IMR 4350.
With most cup and core bullets under 100 grs you run into varmint bullets that really come apart on impact. I have used the 87 gr Sierra with 52.2 grs IMR 4350 at around 3350 fps and the 75 gr Sierra HP with 49 grs IMR 4064 for 3600 fps on ground hogs and it looks like shooting red paint fulled balloons. It really scatters pieces. So stay with 100 gr and above cup and core bullets for larger game.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.