Ballistic Coefficient Question

I would strongly encourage you to take up Jeff's offer to shoot a braked rifle. A few years ago I was like you and had no desire at all to have brakes on my rifles. that has changed and part of the reason it changed is because I shot a couple of large caliber rifles of LRH members at a 1000 yd shoot get together.

In the final analysis, you've gotta pay to play. How far you want to shoot and kill game and how large the game is going to drive how large a cartridge you choose. Now you can go on the ragged edge of getting the job dome, or you can get something that will get it done with authority, or somewhere in between. Your choice. Brakes are part of the LR game. Yes, you can get by without them, but you will handicap yourself in doing so.

I would advise against shooting Jeff's LRKM... if you do, it will probably be very costly for you :)

The muzzle brake is to protect the shooter from developing a flinch. I have no doubt that most of us on here can shoot a big gun, we know how to hold tight and the gun goes boom, no damage done! EXCEPT after numerous shots, our body takes care of itself and begins to tighten up in preparation for the recoil. This leads to rifle movement before and during the shot that affects the final point of impact, the longer the shot, the more noticeable! Good shooting requires light pressure from the shoulder against the stock, about five pounds and consistently repeating that from shot to shot. Don't know if you flinch? let a friend load your gun for you, you should break all shots without moving the crosshairs off the bulls eye. Already have a flinch? dry fire, dry fire, dry fire, then when you do go live, think dry fire and concentrate on keeping the reticle on the target, you will be amazed how much your groups improve!

Its easy to run a thread protecter and do your homework and hunt the thick stuff without. I also just run my loop type ear plugs that I work in everyday. I have put them in, just takes one hand already on my neck w/6x6 looking at me at 50 yrds,bam I can still hear walking off the mountain,other way I cant

I am struggling with the thougt of a brake too. I know it would make it easier to shoot, and I can probably train myself to wear ear protection, but don't know about the others I am hunting with if they would appreciate it or not. Tough to decide

I am struggling with the thougt of a brake too. I know it would make it easier to shoot, and I can probably train myself to wear ear protection, but don't know about the others I am hunting with if they would appreciate it or not. Tough to decide
That is why if you are going to brake a rifle it is wise to get one that does not increase the noise to the shooter.

Both the Gentry Quiet brake and the Snowy Mountain Rifles brakes give you significant recoil and muzzle flip reduction without increased noise to the shooter.

I have and use each. The only downside to the Gentry QB is the fact it's a 360 degree discharge and thus not appropriate for a rifle being shot from the prone position due to copious amounts of debris it puts in the air which can blind your vision to the target and if shooting into the wind puts a lot of that debris into your face.

The SMR brake is side discharge and eliminates that problem.

North West Precision also makes a brake that has caught my attention which is very similar in most respects to the SMR brake and I'm having a couple of them installed over the next week or so on 300wm's. I'm hopeful they will work just as well as the SMR brake.

I would strongly encourage you to take up Jeff's offer to shoot a braked rifle. A few years ago I was like you and had no desire at all to have brakes on my rifles. that has changed and part of the reason it changed is because I shot a couple of large caliber rifles of LRH members at a 1000 yd shoot get together.

In the final analysis, you've gotta pay to play. How far you want to shoot and kill game and how large the game is going to drive how large a cartridge you choose. Now you can go on the ragged edge of getting the job dome, or you can get something that will get it done with authority, or somewhere in between. Your choice. Brakes are part of the LR game. Yes, you can get by without them, but you will handicap yourself in doing so.

I would advise against shooting Jeff's LRKM... if you do, it will probably be very costly for you :)
That's probably good advice. I have several guns in the safe now that seduced me when I shot them. A good friend once to me that "what the eyes don't see, the heart doesn't grieve for". He was right.

That caliber/model combo has taken nearly as much game as the 30-06. It's not a long range monster killer but the 7mm Rem is the SUV of magnums.
I know, but the 7rem really should have been a cartridge that is basically the 7stw... Powder choices and bean counters changed that one. The 7rem is a good caliber; I've had three and all shot well. A bit sedate for my liking, but good shooters.

You need to do exactly what is right for you. A rifle that fills all your needs. But let me offer that you check out todays offerings of a good side discharge brake like a JP tactical compensator, the Muscle Brake, Defensive Edge brake and so on.

Like bullets they have came a long ways in recent years. I assemble, set up and shoot many long range rifles. I would not want anyone that is serious about long range, a willing to make the commitment of practice it take to be good, to go into it shooting either a 7 mag or a 300 win without a brake. Comfort, accuracy, follow through and spotting shots are a huge benefit of a brake and the reason you see them on almost 100% of the serious long range rifles.

I see you are only a couple hours away from me. You have an open invitation to stop by and shoot one of my rifles. This might help you to know for yourself what is going on and what you need in the end. Just PM me if you are interested and we will set up a time.

Jeff

This sort of post exemplifies why LRH is such a great community! The knowledge and experience level here, along with the willingness and desire to share that knowledge/experience, have no peer IMO.

I know, but the 7rem really should have been a cartridge that is basically the 7stw... Powder choices and bean counters changed that one. The 7rem is a good caliber; I've had three and all shot well. A bit sedate for my liking, but good shooters.
I think the main issue is our collective dislike of recoil and how the word "magnum" immediately limits the number of people willing to even try it.

I do agree though. If they'd simply necked down and blown out the 300wm case a bit and given it a better shoulder angle it would have been vastly superior from the start. Heck we probably wouldn't have our STW's if they had.

Without a doubt though it's a fantastic starter caliber to set the hook in generations of new shooters not afraid to start stretching beyond 300yds.

With heavier profile barrels and muzzle brakes magnaphobia however is waning and people are far less afraid to try and fall in love with the magnum cartridges than my and older generations generally were. I was just too dumb to know better since the 700bdl 7Rm was my first center fire.gun)

BTW, A Deluxe Remington 700 BDL 7MM fell into my lap today. This doesn't mean I made up my mind. I just couldn't pass it up for the price. Still haven't made a decision.

Now that you have your rifle, work with what you have. Find its limits and your limits. Maybe when you wear out your barrel, there can be a similar conversation that involves the relative merits of .30's, .338's, and maybe even .375's.

Enjoy your new rifle and GOOD LUCK!

That is why if you are going to brake a rifle it is wise to get one that does not increase the noise to the shooter.

Both the Gentry Quiet brake and the Snowy Mountain Rifles brakes give you significant recoil and muzzle flip reduction without increased noise to the shooter.

I have and use each. The only downside to the Gentry QB is the fact it's a 360 degree discharge and thus not appropriate for a rifle being shot from the prone position due to copious amounts of debris it puts in the air which can blind your vision to the target and if shooting into the wind puts a lot of that debris into your face.

The SMR brake is side discharge and eliminates that problem.

North West Precision also makes a brake that has caught my attention which is very similar in most respects to the SMR brake and I'm having a couple of them installed over the next week or so on 300wm's. I'm hopeful they will work just as well as the SMR brake.

I would probably opt for the SMR brake out of those selections. Why is it that these don't direct as much noise to the shooter? Are they as efficient as some of the others like the Defensive edge or Muscle Brake? I have heard the JP's are pretty good too.

I guess the thing with the brake is it's sole purpose is recoil reduction and I guess I would probably just have to get used to the noise and get over it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts