Badlands 6.5 125 gr mono & the 6.5x06

Hey there Kiwi . Sorry to hear about your shoulder problem & for sure wish you the very best. As a note I make almost all my 260 Rem brass from once fired 308/7.62. Have been doing so since 1994. Has worked without a single problem. Sounds like you are set with all the brass you have. One pass thru a 260 Rem FL sizer, load & shoot. That's it. No neck turning required. I have taken a goodly amount of elk here with this class of cartridge & the 120gr mono bullets , including the 6.5x55. This class of cartridge absolutely works.

@Hespco
Thanks for sharing.
After a shoulder replacement recently, I need to think about going down in calibre/recoil from 308W/7.62x51.
I have a ton of new/used 308W brass, which I could recycle to 260AI.
Many years ago, I owned a 6.5x55 Swede in a full milspec carbine. One of the sweetest shooters I ever owned. Sold it (stupidly), before moving to another country, chasing work.
Another option is to install a muzzle brake, though many people don't like them. Your .308 win would have very little recoil. A .260 would have even less, I have a 13.5 lb .260AI with a brake, and I let my 6 year old son shoot it without issue. Less movement than a .223 when shooting.

Another option is to install a muzzle brake, though many people don't like them. Your .308 win would have very little recoil. A .260 would have even less, I have a 13.5 lb .260AI with a brake, and I let my 6 year old son shoot it without issue. Less movement than a .223 when shooting.

Having shot next to a muzzle braked 7/08 hunting rifle, using my suppressed 308W, I got up and stood behind the muzzle brake until he'd finished. Then completed my series.
I have nothing against a muzzle brake per se, but 4' away to the side, isn't the best place to be, shooting next to one.
I appreciate the sentiment behind your advice though.
Most likely will just rebarrel the Omark - cheapest option, and swap/buy a 6.5mm/264" suppressor - not illegal here in New Zealand - YET.

Having shot next to a muzzle braked 7/08 hunting rifle, using my suppressed 308W, I got up and stood behind the muzzle brake until he'd finished. Then completed my series.
I have nothing against a muzzle brake per se, but 4' away to the side, isn't the best place to be, shooting next to one.
I appreciate the sentiment behind your advice though.
Most likely will just rebarrel the Omark - cheapest option, and swap/buy a 6.5mm/264" suppressor - not illegal here in New Zealand - YET.
Makes sense, I am in the long process of getting a supressor, if they were as easy to get here as they were in many other countries, I wouldn't likely have any/many rifles with a brake, but instead a supressor. For recoil reduction brakes are king, but I have shot supressed rifles, and fully understand why that would be much preferred, especially for hunting.

If I could easily get supressors, likely the only rifle I have that would have a brake is my 9.3 lb .338 Norma Mag. Not sure how manageable it would be with just a can!

Probably because there are several high BC options in 6.5mm, copper or lead that will run in the standard 8 twist barrels. There are only a few higher bc 270 bullets. And the 8 twist 270 cal barrel is a rarity. There's nothing wrong with a 270, but I'd run 6.5-270 over a standard 270 any day. That's just me. Now if I was wanting one gun to hunt everything, an 8.5tw 7mm blaser improved or 270 blaser improved with an 8 twist is where I'd look. Beltless case in the 86gr capacity area with a long neck and length around 3.44" with bullets seated out of powder. 165-185 grain bullets going 3100fps would comfortably kill anything that wasn't gonna bite back in my opinion. For those it'd be 375.
I See Your point ! Good luck with the build !! Lenny

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.