Help With 6.5x06 Identification

Texas Speed Bump

This rifle was given to me 45 years ago and it's been my go-to deer and hog gun ever since. It's s sub-MOA shooter but the only load I've ever used was Nosler 120gr ballistic tips driven by 54 grains of IMR 4350. This was the load recommended by the man who built this rifle almost 60 years ago and I've never found it in a reloading manual. I recently chrono'd the round at an average muzzle speed of 3135 fps.

The man who built the rifle (my father in law's brother) said that this was the only round he tested in it that shot accurately but now I find myself questioning that and wanting to do some load testing to see if I can find a load that will accommodate a heavier bullet. Trouble is, I really know very little about the rifle and don't have the opportunity to ask it's builder any more. What I do know is that it has a heavy duty Douglas barrel and an original Mauser action. Barrel length is a hair over 25" as measured to the bolt face. I don't know the twist rate of the barrel (but would like to).

In this forum, I've seen references to a number of 6.5x06 calibers (caliber variations?) and am wondering which category, if any, this 6.5x06 falls into. I would appreciate any wisdom you 6.5x06 officianodos can offer. Thanks !
IMG_1074.JPG
6.5x06 Crop.jpg
IMG_1075.JPG
IMG_1076.JPG

I think the first step is to identify the rate of twist. I do this with a cleaning rod, caliber brush (I use nylon), a patch and some way to mark the rod, usually with tape or whiteout (correction paste).
My cleaning rod handle usually is out past the butt of my rifle so I use the stock/recoil pad junction as my "starting" point. I mark the cleaning rod with whiteout at this junction (I just eyeball it). Now if your cleaning rod brush with patch is tight enough it will rotate easily as you push it toward the muzzle. Once your mark on top of your cleaning rod makes one revolution - measure from the mark on you rod back to your junction or starting point.

Google/Youtube has a bunch of info/video's.

Your rifle, seeing as when it was made, and the builders comments about the bullet(s) tried, make me think it's probably a 1-9" twist. Back in the day, folks didn't do much LR shooting, and especially not hunting. That was unethical, although some folks ( :) ) were doing it.

If that is the case (1-9) then you might be able to shoot the 130gn bullets fairly well but I doubt the 140 and up will stabilize for you. Who knows? there are exceptions to most rules.
Hope this helps and let us know.

Beautiful rifle!

There is just 1 6.5-06 caliber. There is the 6.5-06 A Square which is SAAMI standardized and IIRC a tad different from the original. The common "varieties" are the Ackley Improved versions with either a 35 or 40 degree shoulder.
One of the older standard loading manuals has reloading data for it.

Highly likely that you have a 9 twist as that was the standard for years. plenty of load data out there if you "Google" for it.

Also you could use .270 or possibly .25-06 data as a guide. Start a few percent low and work up from there.

If you have a friend with QuickLoad" there are lots of possibilities limited only whatever powder you have on hand or could get.

I think the first step is to identify the rate of twist. I do this with a cleaning rod, caliber brush (I use nylon), a patch and some way to mark the rod, usually with tape or whiteout (correction paste).
My cleaning rod handle usually is out past the butt of my rifle so I use the stock/recoil pad junction as my "starting" point. I mark the cleaning rod with whiteout at this junction (I just eyeball it). Now if your cleaning rod brush with patch is tight enough it will rotate easily as you push it toward the muzzle. Once your mark on top of your cleaning rod makes one revolution - measure from the mark on you rod back to your junction or starting point.

Google/Youtube has a bunch of info/video's.

Your rifle, seeing as when it was made, and the builders comments about the bullet(s) tried, make me think it's probably a 1-9" twist. Back in the day, folks didn't do much LR shooting, and especially not hunting. That was unethical, although some folks ( :) ) were doing it.

If that is the case (1-9) then you might be able to shoot the 130gn bullets fairly well but I doubt the 140 and up will stabilize for you. Who knows? there are exceptions to most rules.
Hope this helps and let us know.

Beautiful rifle!
Thank you.

There is just 1 6.5-06 caliber. There is the 6.5-06 A Square which is SAAMI standardized and IIRC a tad different from the original. The common "varieties" are the Ackley Improved versions with either a 35 or 40 degree shoulder.
One of the older standard loading manuals has reloading data for it.

Highly likely that you have a 9 twist as that was the standard for years. plenty of load data out there if you "Google" for it.

Also you could use .270 or possibly .25-06 data as a guide. Start a few percent low and work up from there.

If you have a friend with QuickLoad" there are lots of possibilities limited only whatever powder you have on hand or could get.
Thank you.

Thank you.
Just as stated above find confirm your twist rate most likey one in nine meaning bullet makes one turn in nine in of travel down the barrel get a cleaning rod puta piece of tape around it make a dot at the top side push the rod down the breech until the dot travels 360 degrees when it makes a complete turn measure how far the dot traveled that will tell the twist rate it possibly could be one in eight and that would allow heavier bullets to stabilize for accuracy if not stay with 130 gr and below 125 gr nosler part 129 gr accubond lrab or my favorite 121 gr Hammer hunters good luck and good shooting

Just as stated above find confirm your twist rate most likey one in nine meaning bullet makes one turn in nine in of travel down the barrel get a cleaning rod puta piece of tape around it make a dot at the top side push the rod down the breech until the dot travels 360 degrees when it makes a complete turn measure how far the dot traveled that will tell the twist rate it possibly could be one in eight and that would allow heavier bullets to stabilize for accuracy if not stay with 130 gr and below 125 gr nosler part 129 gr accubond lrab or my favorite 121 gr Hammer hunters good luck and good shooting
Looked up those Hammer bullets. They remind me of the Barnes TTSX all copper I use for hogs in my LR-308. In the 308, I ended up with a compressed load due to the sheer length of the lighter weight copper but that wouldn't be a problem in the bolt action. Biggest difference, other than price is the tip on the TTSX which I think might be preferable for penetrating the tough hide and shield on big hogs. Hammer is pretty proud of those though at over $1.00/each.

Looked up those Hammer bullets. They remind me of the Barnes TTSX all copper I use for hogs in my LR-308. In the 308, I ended up with a compressed load due to the sheer length of the lighter weight copper but that wouldn't be a problem in the bolt action. Biggest difference, other than price is the tip on the TTSX which I think might be preferable for penetrating the tough hide and shield on big hogs. Hammer is pretty proud of those though at over $1.00/each.
Load develpment is so easy and the velocity gain so great it wont matter after youve tried them especially the absolute hammers look up the hammer bullet website Hammer bullets are unbelievable acc and fast they expand shed the front petals and keep going there is a lot of info out there none neg they perform at long and short range Ive had real good luck with the hammer hunters havent tried there new absolutes you can order or call and talk to Steve personally seem to be great folks

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.