Rifle Identification Help 6mmx284 Belgium

I have had three 6x284's. They shoot considerably flatter than the .243. The stock for your rifle was a Herters design made in Waseca, Minnesota and that firm sold an lot of stocks for sporterizing military rifles and units such as your semi custom rifle. Look for those dies, and especially any brass your father had. almost certainly it will be Winchester brass. These items will be very helpful for selling this rifle.

WW

That was a good suggestion. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure the Die is gone. The ONLY die I have left is a Hornady 375 Winchester 3 Pc Set (Custom Grade whatever that means). The Dies actually sold really fast on EBay (he had 15-20). Kinda regretting that now...

Most of his brass is fired (and cleaned) 223 and 45apc. There's some 300 savage and 308 as well. The only factory sealed brass is one bag of 44 Rem Mag Winchester (100), 2 bags 243 Winchester (50 each bag), and two bags of 45-70 Gov (50 ea bag).

I did find a bag of 284 brass, but not a lot. There are only 101 in the bag but its new, unfired.

Hello again,
I doubt it would be worth our while, but I wouldn't mind that .45 acp brass, providing the shipping wouldn't be too costly. I have a new 1911, purchased after taking the Concealed Carry program hereinNew Mexico. I will be reloading them in Mobile"Al. With my brother in law in the fall.

The 6x 284 is a pretty specialized cartridge, I wonder how your father chose that cartridge,probably in the 1970-80's.

Gene Solyntjes B.A., C./L. O., C. Ped. (Ret.)

Hello again,
I doubt it would be worth our while, but I wouldn't mind that .45 acp brass, providing the shipping wouldn't be too costly. I have a new 1911, purchased after taking the Concealed Carry program hereinNew Mexico. I will be reloading them in Mobile"Al. With my brother in law in the fall.

The 6x 284 is a pretty specialized cartridge, I wonder how your father chose that cartridge,probably in the 1970-80's.

Gene Solyntjes B.A., C./L. O., C. Ped. (Ret.)

Yea I doubt it'd be worth it overall. There's probably 3-4 USPS large flat rate boxes worth of 45apc. Each one of those is about $18 to ship. So 60-80 shipping by itself. Like I said, brass is kind of a pain in the ***. lol I have a friend who reloads and has a 1911. I was probably just going to give it to him out of convenience.

As far as WHY dad had that rifle? I honestly don't know. Collecting guns was his hobby. I don't even know how many of them he even used more than a few times. He has such an eclectic collection its really hard to nail down what was his favorite other than he was just 'a gun nut'. He liked them all. Looking at his ammo stock 223 and 45acp were his most fired rounds. There is a ****-ton of it. lol

So I just did another pass on the pile of brass in my garage. There is another bag of 284 but it looks different. The brass on the right is the one I just found and it also has a primer installed. The necks are obviously different. What is the difference between the two?
6mmx284 Brass.jpg

So I just did another pass on the pile of brass in my garage. There is another bag of 284 but it looks different. The brass on the right is the one I just found and it also has a primer installed. The necks are obviously different. What is the difference between the two?View attachment 134967

The cartridge case on the right has been necked down, probably to the 6mmx284, but doesn't appear to be fire-formed yet.

You may want to hang on to those cases to sell with the rifle...

I built a 6x284 with a 1x12 twist 0n a Remington 722 action with a 28" ss hart barrel in the late 60,s and I shot 85 gr bullets at 3500 fps with a heavy load of imr 4350 and shot many 3/4" five shot groups at 300 yards with a 14x target unertl scope.

Hi, I had Flaigs, in Pa. do Barrell and Action work for me back in the 70's. 98 Mauser Actions were very inexpensive and easy to find back then. Many stock companies had "SEMI INLETTED " stocks, almost ready to receive 98 actions. Your rifle is a very classic sporter for the 1960's to the 1980,s, but the caliber it is chambered for is not one I remember from that that era. It sounds like a very interesting caliber. If it were mine, I would take, or send the rifle to a Bench Rest Gunsmith. I would want to know the exact Chamber, Throat ,and Neck Diameter Dimensions, Max COAL and the Twist rate of the barrel. Just for your own piece of mind. Perhaps your father has loaded ammo and Reloading notes. Have fun shooting it , Lenny

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.