Rifle Identification Help 6mmx284 Belgium

Skoobie0000

Hello everyone. I apologize if this is the wrong area to post this. New to the forums.
Last year my father passed away and left me his gun collection. I was never a 'gun guy' before receiving his collection so I've been playing catch-up for a while trying to understand what I have. Most of the guns are somewhat identifiable as in the have a manufacture stamps along with caliber etc. This rifle is somewhat of a mystery though. There are no company logos that I can find (Remington, Winchester, etc). The only identifying marks are that it was produced in Belgium, the bore is 6mm x 284, a serial number & the name "Flayg's" is stamped on the barrel. What exactly am I dealing with here? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

20190519_235507.jpg
20190519_235544.jpg
20190519_235626.jpg
20190519_235720.jpg
20190519_235740.jpg
20190519_235930.jpg

What you have there is an FN, Belgium made action that was barrelled by Flayg's in Pennsylvania. Back in the day, most custom rifles were built on the FN and Winchester model 70 as they were the most plentiful. Custom actions of that era were almost unheard of. It wasn't until the advent of CNC that custom actions were made affordable. The barrel is most likely a Douglas or Shilen (2 of the biggest barrel makers of the day) and were considered the best of the day.

You have a very nice rifle that many consider highly collectible.

Last edited:
Actually, it's Flaig's with an 'I'.

The action is the modern Improved M98 Mauser from FN which features the solid left side design which eliminated the thumb slot, used a trigger mounted side safety instead of the shroud safety but kept the standing ejector and the control round feeding. These actions are true long actions for .30-06 cartridge lengths and the standard belted magnums. Many, many custom rifles and commercial rifles were built using these actions.

Thank you for the input guys. Getting mixed signals on whether the rifle is a nice collectable or a dime-a-dozen variety. haha
The strangest thing about it IMO is the caliber. I've never heard of a 6mmx284 rifle. I don't have any ammo for it and it doesn't seem to be anything you can just buy at Walmart. My dad reloaded and probably had dies and brass for it but I sold most of the equipment and supplies shortly after he passed. Just never saw myself using it and it took up a lot of room.

The strangest thing about it IMO is the caliber. I've never heard of a 6mmx284 rifle. I don't have any ammo for it and it doesn't seem to be anything you can just buy at Walmart.

There is no commercial ammunition made for the 6mm-284 as it is still a true wildcat.

The original case was the .284 Winchester which was chambered in the Winchester Model 100 autoloader and the Model 88 lever rifle. Ostensibly this was a short action 7mm cartridge.

Now though, many are far more familiar with the 6.5-284 Norma which has been used for a number of years on the benchrest circuit. The 6mm-284 simply necks down the existing 6.5 brass in an attempt to increase the velocities available by running smaller, lighter bullets. It makes for a superior varmint and target cartridge but is only limited by the need to be reloaded.

As I'm not a hunter or bench shooter I'm planning on selling most of dad's bolt action rifles. Keeping the fun/cheap guns like the Ruger 22's to shoot with the kids and the AR's (10&15) for me. This one is going to go for sure since the ammo is hard to come by. Not sure where to even start with a price though. Searching 6mmx284 didn't really come up with anything since it's an oddball caliber. It's in fair-good shape I would say. Biggest issues is some pitting along the left side of the barrel from some surface rust :/ What do you guys think?

Since the ammunition is a wildcat, pricing would be about half of what a standard caliber would go for. Parting out the rifle would probably net more than selling as complete. FN action, appears to be a Canjar set trigger (top of the line in its day), somebody's always looking for decent wood for a Mauser. Don't know about the scope as you didn't mention what brand it is. Start high, you can always come down.

Just helped sell off my widowed neighbors rifle collection. Her deceased husband had a FN Mauser with nice wood like that in 7X57. My experience is not much premium there at all, the wildcat cartridge reduces the buyer pool a lot and the barrel channel is possibly epoxy beaded all the way out not free floated. Good luck. Just my 2cent limited perspective but I will throw out maybe $400 for the action and maybe $200 for the wood stock. I am sure if i am off this will be corrected.

Would be a shame to break up this rifle. I have a rechambered Weatherby vanguard in 6mm-284 that is a joy to shoot. I am sure someone would love to have it as it is. This caliber is very close to a 240 Weatherby magnum in performance. Ammo is no problem for reloaders. Just neck down 6.5-284 Norma cases to 6mm. Dies are readily available for the 6mm-284 as this wildcat used to be the cat's meow. Velocity is A bit faster than the 243 Winchester.

Thank you for the input guys. Getting mixed signals on whether the rifle is a nice collectable or a dime-a-dozen variety. haha
The strangest thing about it IMO is the caliber. I've never heard of a 6mmx284 rifle. I don't have any ammo for it and it doesn't seem to be anything you can just buy at Walmart. My dad reloaded and probably had dies and brass for it but I sold most of the equipment and supplies shortly after he passed. Just never saw myself using it and it took up a lot of room.
It's a 50 year old WILDCAT! One of the best & greatest calibers for varmint hunting ever invented. Flaig Bros are no longer. I used to go to their shop on Babcock Blvd. in the N Hills part of Pgh., PA when I was a kid. Could very well be a Hart barrel. Whatever, it's a great rifle. I'm certain you'll have NO PROBLEM selling it should you choose to. Dig thru Dads dies and jack a few rounds together. 50.0grs of Hogdon 4831, 95r Speer Spitzer or 107 gr Sierra HPBT Matchking. Go out to a 600 - 1000 yards range and experience what your Father did! The load data is close without knowing the rifle. However you can not over load it with 4831. I'm certain you'll reconsider it when you feel Dads spirit approve of you doing just that! Theosmithjr

Last edited:
First off, I didn't mean to turn this into a 'For Sale' thread. Just kinda morphed into it so sorry about that :/ I really appreciate everyone's feedback. As much as I'd like to keep dad's collection together I simply don't have room and we're saving for a new house so MOST things I won't use often are going to go. I know he'd be ok with it since its going to benefit the family. Like I said before I'm keeping a lot of the fun/easy/cheap stuff to shoot with the kids. Already took my 14 y/o daughter out a few times with the Ruger and she loved it :) If I wouldn't have sold all of dad's reloading stuff last year (minus brass, that crap is hard to get rid of) I may have considered keeping this, its a beautiful rifle.

I don't have time to part anything out even if it would mean a bit more. I ended up listing the rifle on GunBroker (Mods please remove link if inappropriate) last night. We'll see what happens. I had luck there selling a Norinco M305. That being said I've been trying to sell a Cooper Arms 57-M WMR 22 for over a week now with no luck. Seems like the more expensive stuff is harder to sell there.

Thanks again guys, you are all awesome. Very knowledgeable and friendly. :)

I have had three 6x284's. They shoot considerably flatter than the .243. The stock for your rifle was a Herters design made in Waseca, Minnesota and that firm sold an lot of stocks for sporterizing military rifles and units such as your semi custom rifle. Look for those dies, and especially any brass your father had. almost certainly it will be Winchester brass. These items will be very helpful for selling this rifle.

WW

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.