Badlands 6.5 125 gr mono & the 6.5x06

Hespco

My project for today didn't take as long as I expected so got in some shooting with the Badlands 6.5 125 gr & my 6.5x06.
24" stainless Bbl , 1/8 twist. Made & installed by E.R. Shaw. Brass used was Rem once fired 25-06 with neck expanded to 6.5. Dies are off the shelf basic RCBS. Primers , Federal standard LR. Powder used, Rel 22 & Rel 26. OAL with bullet seated is 3.373".
Badland Bullets shooting 019.JPG

Started with Rel 22. At 54 grs found the Max in " MY " rifle. Velocity 3168fps.
Badland velocity 001.JPG

Three shot group @ 102 yds.
Badland Bullets shooting 017.JPG

Dead center. No scope adjusting was done. Shot for groups only. Temp was reading 80 dg F. This rifle is sighted in with the Hammer 121 gr bullet & have rounds loaded for it so did not want to move the scope setting. This load with Rel 22 & the 125gr Badlands bullet absolutely hit in the same spot as my Hammer loads. . Velocity with my 121 gr Hammers is 3238 fps with 51.5 grs IMR 4350. The Badlands bullets seem to me to have a bit more resistance in my rifle & IMR 4350 was just a bit to fast burning.

Next tried Rel 26. Ar 55grs I felt was safe max for " MY " rifle. Target shown.
Badland Bullets shooting 015.JPG
Badland Bullets shooting 018.JPG

You have probably noticed the load with Rel 22 was dead center & strung vertically while the group shot with Rel 26 was left of target center & strung horizontally. Curious but that's the way it shot. On the lower target shot with Rel 26 , at that last instant just before the rifle fired I edged right ever so slightly, second shot. I figure I opened up that group by at least 1/4". Second shot is the far right bullet hole. First shot is the center hole. I had spent 4+ hours shooting 15 shots & was not up for another 3 shot group. Thar's for another day. Walking back & forth from the loading room to the bench got tiring after a bit. Was able to take this time because of my own range. Not really complaining just a bit tired.

I feel a slightly slower burning powder might boost velocity a bit. With 55grs of Rel 26 in the case there still was room for at least 4 more grs of powder. Maybe 5. At a later date I may try H-1000, Retumbo , or even Rel 33. Have all on hand . With the extended stream line design of this Badlands 125gr 6.5 bullet & a velocity of 3227 it ought to shoot fairly flat for at least 500 yds. Hope you found this info helpful.

Last edited:
Nothing special. Started life as a Ruger 30-06 which I purchased ( years back ) off a used gun rack. Original factory stock. Sent off to E.R.Shaw for a new barrel As I remember about $450 complete with shipping. Wears a Leupold/Redfield Revolution 4x12. Mounts are Warne quick release so I can take advantage of the open sights if I trip over some thing & damage the scope. Has happened to me brfore.
006.JPG
007.JPG
Over time this rifle /scope combo have accounted for a fair amount of deer & elk. Nothing fancy, strictly a hunting " tool " that get's it done. My front porch where I shoot from for testing.

I'd suggest Retumbo. Idk if you'll get enough Rl33 in there to make pressure. My 6.5 max holds 77gr ans I'm seating 156s above the shoulder and 71-72 gr finally caught pressure signs. I was getting a lil bit of powder crunch 71.5-72gr.

I'd suggest Retumbo. Idk if you'll get enough Rl33 in there to make pressure. My 6.5 max holds 77gr ans I'm seating 156s above the shoulder and 71-72 gr finally caught pressure signs. I was getting a lil bit of powder crunch 71.5-72gr.
Ya, it would be close I think? The improved type cases tend to run higher pressure before showing signs then a standard type case, plus he is using Remington brass and you probably have ADG? which also goes up higher before showing signs....And with the badlands pressuring up earlier than other bullets....it would be close, he might just barely get there with rl33, or just barely not get there ha ha. I do think Retumbo might be the ticket though with those ones on hand.

Thanks highdrum. Got company coming .Looks like next week before I can try again. Can't shoot right now . It will scare the turkeys. They just walked right out into my shooting lane. Please keep me informed of your progress...
turkey 003.JPG

Ya, it would be close I think? The improved type cases tend to run higher pressure before showing signs then a standard type case, plus he is using Remington brass and you probably have ADG? which also goes up higher before showing signs....And with the badlands pressuring up earlier than other bullets....it would be close, he might just barely get there with rl33, or just barely not get there ha ha. I do think Retumbo might be the ticket though with those ones on hand.
Yes I'm running ADG brass and the ejector marks, are likely showing closer to 70k psi. He should get some peterson 270 brass , neck it down and stand on it with RL26. It'd make some speed for sure!

Last edited:
I believe I will give some H-1000 a try my next opportunity& Rel 33. Will see. Also have some H450 & a couple others in between.

Mr Heapco , i would Just like to ask what benefit would there be to takeing a 30-06 case , and neck it down to accept a .264 bullett Make a custom barrel as Opposed to just Rebarreling with an 8 twist barrel in.270 Win . You could Shoot a 130, or 140 or 150 Accubond LR Or 170 Grn Berger bullet ??? I'm not sayIng don't do Your 264 project I am just wondering why ???

According to my communication with Badlands, the newest generation improved 125 bulldozer will not be available till end of the year, or early next year.

Mr Heapco , i would Just like to ask what benefit would there be to takeing a 30-06 case , and neck it down to accept a .264 bullett Make a custom barrel as Opposed to just Rebarreling with an 8 twist barrel in.270 Win . You could Shoot a 130, or 140 or 150 Accubond LR Or 170 Grn Berger bullet ??? I'm not sayIng don't do Your 264 project I am just wondering why ???
Probably because there are several high BC options in 6.5mm, copper or lead that will run in the standard 8 twist barrels. There are only a few higher bc 270 bullets. And the 8 twist 270 cal barrel is a rarity. There's nothing wrong with a 270, but I'd run 6.5-270 over a standard 270 any day. That's just me. Now if I was wanting one gun to hunt everything, an 8.5tw 7mm blaser improved or 270 blaser improved with an 8 twist is where I'd look. Beltless case in the 86gr capacity area with a long neck and length around 3.44" with bullets seated out of powder. 165-185 grain bullets going 3100fps would comfortably kill anything that wasn't gonna bite back in my opinion. For those it'd be 375.

I do understand your your
What concerns me is the drastic temp swings here in South Texas! It may be anywhere from 30-90 degrees during deer season with an average of 50-70. I'll be developing loads this month and next with temps in the 90s......it would be nice to know what kind of velocity swing to expect.....especially fps/degrees!
Mr Heapco , i would Just like to ask what benefit would there be to takeing a 30-06 case , and neck it down to accept a .264 bullett Make a custom barrel as Opposed to just Rebarreling with an 8 twist barrel in.270 Win . You could Shoot a 130, or 140 or 150 Accubond LR Or 170 Grn Berger bullet ??? I'm not sayIng don't do Your 264 project I am just wondering why.

I do understand your question. Here's why. Years ago ( many ) I did all my elk hunting with a 338 mag. I was young & believed every thing the older shooters said. Please understand I'm not saying they were wrong , they just did not have the advantage of today's modern bullets. They were following tried & true advice given by Elmer Keith & others of the time where a heavy bullet at a moderate velocity was the way to go. It did work. I have taken a fair amount of elk with heavy bullets in the 338 & 30 cal magunms, in the past. No doubt about it. Have also taken some with my 7 mag. It seems they all work with the proper bullet, " properly placed ". Back about 1994 I took my elk with the then relatively new Barnes 6.5 " X" bullets . A 120 gr loaded in my then new wildcat know as the 6.5x308 ( aka 260 Rem today). Loaded to 3004 fps that minuscule 120 gr mono bullet penetrated both front shoulders on a 4x4 rag horn bull. I have been getting the same type of penetration each season since then. Even from extreme angled shots. Last season I used a Hammer 121 gr because the particular 6.5 I was using would not shoot the Barnes accurately . It shot the Hammer into a sub 1/2" group. Again complete penetration on a very mature adult elk with
a DRT shot. Coupled with the mild recoil I find the 6.5 an absolute delight. Also I do have an equally delightful Win 70 New Haven, Conn stainless CRF 270. It shoots the Barnes 130 gr TSX/TTSX also into tiny groups. Will almost put three shots into one hole. It's 130 gr bullets penetrate elk like butter. So hope I don't appear too negative toward other cal's. I have found for my hunting the 6.5 has never let me down. Shoots flat with very moderate recoil.

question.

@Hespco
Thanks for sharing.
After a shoulder replacement recently, I need to think about going down in calibre/recoil from 308W/7.62x51.
I have a ton of new/used 308W brass, which I could recycle to 260AI.
Many years ago, I owned a 6.5x55 Swede in a full milspec carbine. One of the sweetest shooters I ever owned. Sold it (stupidly), before moving to another country, chasing work.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts