Bad Scopes?

counter sniper,bsa,nc star it would be alot easier to ask what to get

Barska, osprey, sniperoptics and yes its easier to ask what should I get, not what should I not get. In optics, if a deal is to good to be true it is, there are very very few exceptions

A bad scope may also:

be too heavy for your shooting style.

be too valuable to allow being comfortable using it the field.

be too expensive for your shooting budget. Put your money where it does the most good.

break if you drop it. Unfortunately any scope can break if dropped on a hard object, like a rock.

What's "best" is a frequent question here but a better question might be which scope selection is most likely to result in the most successful hunts. In my opinion two $300 scopes are likely to give better results than one $3000 scope.

A bad scope may also:

be too heavy for your shooting style.

be too valuable to allow being comfortable using it the field.

be too expensive for your shooting budget. Put your money where it does the most good.

break if you drop it. Unfortunately any scope can break if dropped on a hard object, like a rock.

What's "best" is a frequent question here but a better question might be which scope selection is most likely to result in the most successful hunts. In my opinion two $300 scopes are likely to give better results than one $3000 scope.

I think if you got the cash and that hunt really matters (mine always do), spend it. I personally have about a grand limit currently but can not think of a $300 variable power (there are fixed power exceptions) long range optic that I would buy now days. Standard holdover or bdc reticule .......sure but not something I am dialing in with.
If you gave me a scope worth 300 I would sell it to buy something better but if you gave me one worth 3k I would use it till the wheels fell off.

The Nikon buckmasters 6-18 does pretty well for dialing around $300-350. Swfa fixed power scopes work well $300. Bushnell elite tactical 10x40 does well $200. Vortex viper 6.5-20x44PA does well $279. That's about all I know under $400 for long range dialing. I do own all of these and use them all a lot. Very pleased will all these scopes for the price. They are all very clear for the money, reliable, repeatable in clicks, and I regularly use them for dialing out to 800 yards. Going to stretch a few to 1000 yards when I find powder and bullets. Which could be next yr at this rate.

Buy a Zeiss Conquest and don't look back. Just go ahead and spend the money on a good quality scope and you will be fine.

Leupold let me down as a customer. They are offering less quality in their products than nearly every other manufacturer in their class and charging much more for it. I left them and won't go back until the company displays evidence of sober judgement and humility. I told you so.

A Weaver tactical 3-15 EMDR is where I'd start, the Vortex 6-24 ffp is very well regarded and offers more magnification, the swfa SS 5-20 is a great option as well.

If you're a shooter on a budget, check out the Konus M-30 8.5-32x52 scope. Best cheap scope I've ever bought. LOL Tons of features you find on much higher-end scopes, and the glass is pretty nice and clear for an inexpensive scope. Magnification clarity adjustment is kina touchy, but there is also an ocular micro adjustment that I have found helps to really clear things up nicely when using max power at 100 yards.

Don't ever buy a Bushnell Banner it can't take any recoil from a high power rifle
some have been good and never break down' but as a scope for the .22s, 17s
they are a great scope. as fore BSAs I love there motar cycles
but for recoil. they are junk after a time, they will break down.
I have never had a loupold give any problems, sure they are High in price
but as for Quality this is #1,
I use Burris' some have got spoild with the real good quality scopes, but I have never had one break down.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.