Rain X On Scopes Good Or Bad ?

Bad bad idea ...

RainX will get hazey after a short time -so your scope will be hazey.

I have used rain x on a couple of car windshields -it works great at first then only works where the wiper blades don't touch.
I used some of the rain x designed for the inside of the glass to beat back fogging -RUINED the windshield.It [rain x] turned foggy over time and nothing -paint thinner -denatured alcohol or gasoline would take it off the inside of the glass..Bad idea but seems like a good idea -Mike

I was kinda thinking the same idea but with that new car wax, "turtle wax ice" it comes as a liquid and have used it on my car windows without any problems. I think i am going to try it on my simmons scope before i step up to anything that costs more than $200

I started to wear eyeglasses this year, and found they would sometimes fog up in cold weather while hunting. Called my optician, asked him about Rain X and he advised me not to do so; said it would leave a haze on them, and it cannot be used on plastic surfaces. Same thing is true with scopes, I believe. Call the scope manufacturer and ask what they think.

Manufacturers spend millions on developing exactly the right coatings for their particular glass...I don't think I would be messing with that with an off the shelf product designed for a much lower tech application. But if you want to put it on your scope, I would happily read a range report!

Very bad idea... I hate puiting any kind of goo on my lenses.

My new Leica's have the AquaDura coating that sheads water and other crud with out smudging. I don't have a problem with them fogging up on the outside either. NJS

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.