Bad Scope?

gunwalker

DSCF07192.jpg

This is what my rifle was shooting today at 200 yards. It is a sub .5 moa gun to 430, length of the range I've shot it, but today it was jumping around, there didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason. It would hit randomly in one of the three groups, the one on the far right was a fouling shot. The group on the left is 7/8" and the one on the right is 1/2". I was wondering if this could be my scope or something else. The gun is 2 months old and the scope about 3 weeks. I mounted an old scope and tomorrow I'll test it, if it's not raining. Thank You, Ryan

Sounds like you're on the right track.

If it were me, I'd test again with a scope of known stability and then re-test the questionable scope on the same day under same conditions if possible, just to verify for sure that the questionable scope is not holding zero.

If you don't find the issue to be the scope, base/ring screws? Action screws?

I would say something is loose. Did you torq and lock tight all you base, ring and mount screws your self? If not it would be the first thing I did! Re torq everything and see if something is loose. Check the torq on your action scrrews as well.

I check torq on my rifles just to be sure once and awhile. Dont use a junk wrench.

Looks like the torque on the action to me. I have had the same pattern before.gun). Dont freak out it looks like it is something simple. Bill Maylor..

I took it out this morning with a different scope and got a different pattern, but it was still terrible. When I got home I completely disassembled it, rings, bases, and action. When I hit the front action screw it didn't "pop" loose like the rear, so I am hoping that was the culprit, thanks for the help, maybe tomorrow I'll go back to the range and test.

It's a semi-custom 6.5-06AI on a Howa 1500 action. It's on a full aluminum Axiom fore end, so the screw torque is 65 in-lb, and a Vortex viper 6-24x44 on top.

I would say it is the front screw on the action was not tight enough. They need to be goodentight!!! you might say. My Vanguard did the same thing torqued at 65"lbs, so I tighten the crap out of it and it shoots great now. cause it is really tight.. I have no idea what it is torqued atlightbulb. After cleaning the rifle a few times and the screw gets striped I will just get another one:). Bill Maylor..

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.