Bad Rifle, Bad Load, or Bad Shooter?

FearNoWind

I sometimes contribute to posts dealing with accuracy issues by recommending that the author of the post, before blaming his rifle or his load, look first to the shooter. There are perhaps a dozen things a shooter can do wrong or inconsistently that can dramatically affect where the shot prints on the target. Here are a few examples of what affect something as simple as rear bag placement/adjustment and shoulder pressure can make.
All of these were shot from the prone position with a bipod and rear bag.
The first target resulted with a rear bag that had more of its filler on the left side of the bag, causing a "downslope" toward the right; allowing the torque of the shot to move the butt of the rifle to the right.
Without a rear bag, the shooter can experience similar results when the butt of the rifle is not squarely placed against the shoulder.
The second target resulted when the butt was squarely and evenly placed on the rear bag and shoulder pressure was reduced to probably about a pound.
Was anything wrong with the set-up? Yes indeed. I discovered that I had failed to correctly adjust the scope's parallax - which accounts for the 1/4 moa drift to the right.
Nobody's perfect .......

Attachments

• PICT5229.JPG
    PICT5229.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 19
  • PICT5232.JPG
    PICT5232.JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 17
Appreciate the reminder. I also had issues at the range this week. I just could not make it happen. The harder I tried the worse it got. I just packed up and went home.

Is that a bad group or are you demonstrating the POI shift to the right? Thanks for sharing.

Is that a bad group or are you demonstrating the POI shift to the right? Thanks for sharing.

No, that's not a bad group. It's not one hole but IMO .405 MOA is acceptable.
I hope I'm demonstrating that the shooter's input, not the load or the rifle, is often the reason for poor on target results and that; the shooter needs to consider both the shooter's physical influences on the activity and the need to pay close attention to mechanical details (e.g. proper parallax adjustment).
What I would hope the reader might take away from the information is to look first at his or her influence on the rifle's performance before looking to faults with the rifle or the load.

I hope I'm demonstrating that the shooter's input, not the load or the rifle, is often the reason for poor on target results and that; the shooter needs to consider both the shooter's physical influences on the activity and the need to pay close attention to mechanical details (e.g. proper parallax adjustment).
What I would hope the reader might take away from the information is to look first at his or her influence on the rifle's performance before looking to faults with the rifle or the load.

Thanks for the clarification. I've seen buddies call a rifle a piece of garbage because they are shooting from a bench off their elbows and getting 4 inch groups!!! Excellent point by posting the photos as an example. Thanks again.

lightbulbThe "NUT" behind the trigger remains the biggest factor.lightbulb

I think one thing we do to ourselves, is not setting expectations up front. We shoot one group that is excellent for the discipline we're engaged in, then consider anything less as a problem. It's not necessarily so, no issues with chasing perfection, just keeping a sense of perspective.

So here's my question in regards to the nut behind the trigger...

When I shoot I generally shoot off a bag in front and back. Then, I place my hand on top of the end of the scope bell. Generally I do this to keep the gun from kicking up/back or whatever. I get good groups and they are consistant. I know what each of the rifles shoot per load. Should I not place my hand on the scope? Sometimes I will put pressure on the end of the scope to move the crosshairs a fraction of an inch down range. I can change practices if it is suggested.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.