Poaching elk is bad, really bad in MT!

nmbarta

I don't know how to post links, maybe someone can find the article in the Billings Gazette and post a link.
Anyway, I brought this up in another thread, rather than derailing that one I thought I'd post a new one.
They have a suspect in custody for the 3 elk that were poached in Musselshell county in MT.

First off, I'd like to point out that I don't assume guilt. At this point this man is innocent, and I think it's important to let these things play out. Guilt is assumed in many cases. This does look bad for him at this point, but due process is one of our most important rights in this country, so I'm not judging him. Just pointing out that these crimes are being taken very seriously.

I was wrong on the other thread when I stated that restitution for a trophy bull was 6500.00, apparently it's 8000.00.

Nothing was taken from the kills, antlers and meat were left to waste. This is rare is poaching cases and shows how awful this crime was.

At least take the meat!!! The waste makes it 10 times worse in my book. We're hoping for a shoulder season cow this year to keep our freezer full, and there's 3 bulls rotting away.

Whoever did this needs to pay, I never thought I'd say this, but 83 years seems a bit harsh.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time!!!!

I hope he gets a fair trial, and if found guilty, gets a fair punishment for the crimes. I just don't know what a fair punishment for something like this would be.

I'm thinking 5 years and 50 grand should do, no hunting for life obviously.

What would you do if you were the judge?

Last edited:
No hunting rights won't make a difference to a poacher since they don't follow laws anyway...jail and fines might do the trick but that doesn't seem to deter most criminals in other crimes.

Personally, I think we should bring back public hangings.

That's a tough question.
If I read the article correctly, his hunting privileges were still suspended when he shot the 3 elk.
Sure, let's revoke his hunting rights for life. But what would this change? I think nothing since he is a repeat offender.
Then comes the question of banning his access to arms, but now there is a second amendment infringement. BUT- is he gets convicted of a felony, he likely will be banned privileges to firearms anyway. Not sure about Montana's rules, only Idaho. Felons in the State of Idaho are not allowed to be in possession of any firearms.
Next would be jail time and fines. Hard to say without knowing his financials. If he gets hammered with a fine in addition to jail, how long AFTER he is out of jail will it take him to pay restitution of a great amount? Would he even pay???

All the above said, I would have to be in favor of jail time with in-custody work assignments. Preferably minimum security so he can be supervised while he helps crews maintain the lands and wildlife that he thinks he has the right to destroy.

It's called "wanton waste" and is a very shameful act. A total disregard for life. My thoughts on punishment; Take every posession the person has and auction it all off. Seize all of their monetary holdings, including retirement, SS, etc. and distribute it into the State's general fund. Make that person and their spouse, if applicable, ineligible for any State, or Federal aid, for the rest of their natural life. Case closed.

I agree that suspending hunting rights for life doesn't do much, other than increase charges if it ever happened again.

I was reading that link and it looked like the new one, but there is a more recent article.
He is charged with 8 felonies now, 24 criminal counts in total.
I need to figure out how to post a link.

Well..how can any thing happen to him when a state game office got his case for shooting three elk thrown out of court....and there was no doubt that he was guilty.....
How do you charge him for killing elk when Hillary got how many people killed in benghazi...and the rancher in Oregon...and nothing happend to her.....
Let's put the former presidency in prison for their illegal doings and selling our uranium to Russia...and then look at the case of killing an elk or three.......priorties....

Bit off topic, but if your referring to our justice system needing some work, I doubt anyone would disagree. Your post makes it sound like this case was thrown out, when it's just starting.

I want to see treasonous acts taken care of.....before anyone else goes to jail for anything....there are people that need to be dealt with for destroying our country.......and trying to divide our nation....and stealing from all of us.........

These elk killings are bad......yes it was a waste of critters.....but it wasn't a crime against a human......

I don't think the State of Montana's fish and game can do much about Hillary. In the mean time, we can't be letting murder's and rapists off the hook, or poachers for that matter. Interestingly enough, there are plenty of both murders and rapists that aren't looking at the punishment this guy is.
I'm not looking to disagree with you and would be happy to have that discussion on another thread, but like I said, it's a bit off topic.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.