Bad primer, bad powder, or just too darn cold....

Doublezranch

I'm breaking in the barrel on my new custom 300 RUM. I headed out to the range yesterday afternoon. The ambient temp was 0 but the wind chill was -30. The wind started blowing 5-10 mph 3 to 9 o'clock across the bench.
The first 5 shots went off like they were supposed too. The 6 and 7 shots were delayed and the 10 tenth shot didn't ignite at all. I looked at the shell and saw that the primer was punched as normal. I went home and took apart the shell and noticed that the primer ignited, but didn't fire the powder.
So, I ask you ladies and gents... What is your thought here? Is it possible that the brass which was warm in the truck, could have produced condensation when it sat out in the cold that inhibited the powder from igniting? Bad primer? Here's the rifle...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 100
what were you trying to light for powder??? What primer were you using??

For a case as big as the rum I've gone to 215's only to make sure I have enough flame to light slower powders.

I'd have been out yesterday too, but I had car work on the in-laws' car to do... Next week I guess. I'm still playing with my 7rum and haven't settled on a load. P.m. me on 300rum loads if you want....

Well the one thing I would say that it isn't, from my experience, was it was too cold. Been out and shot in much lower temps with no ignition problems. As was asked previously: what primer, type and amount amount of powder.

The thing that leads me to thing of primer problems is your statement that they went off but there was no ignition.

No chance you have some obstruction in the flash holes? Also I would ask in addition to the above question what type of brass, is it new, did you uniform the primer pocket and deburr the ID of the flash hole.

My first guess was you just didn't have enough fire to ignite the powder if you did all the above.

I was trying to lite just 76 gr of rl22 with br2s last week in 10 degrees. I could definitely tell a delay. Accuracy was horrible for this barrel. Lesson learned.

I'm using CCI 250 mags with 96 grains of 33. 96 is the start of my ladder testing. Brass was prepped in standard fashion with uniformed pockets and deburred holes. This is the first time this has happened. That's why I'm confused.

Is it possible that the brass which was warm in the truck, could have produced condensation when it sat out in the cold that inhibited the powder from igniting?

I have shot in -20ºF temperatures and have had hang-fires with spherical powders using lite loads. But they all fired no matter how long in the cold or whatnot.

Condensation is accumulated by circulating air current, nothing like that is happening inside your case.

I'm using CCI 250 mags with 96 grains of 33. 96 is the start of my ladder testing. Brass was prepped in standard fashion with uniformed pockets and deburred holes. This is the first time this has happened. That's why I'm confused.[/QUOTE

All I could guess is a batch of bad primers at this point.
I can tell you that I have put loaded rounds in my freezer (-7F) many times to test powder for temp sensitivity and have never experienced what you got at the range. I would test them again and decide after that if you need to change powders/primers.
I have no experience with RL33 - how temp sensitive is it suppose to be?.

This is my first experience with 33. Super constant when the shells fired. I'm planning on heading to the range this week. The weather is supposed to be in the 20's.

My COAL is 4.033 and I have a 27 inch tube. 30 with the assassin break. I had it chambered for the targets. 96 is a break in load. Not sure what my limit is yet. Hopefully find that out with in the next few weeks.

I'm using CCI 250 mags with 96 grains of 33. 96 is the start of my ladder testing. Brass was prepped in standard fashion with uniformed pockets and deburred holes. This is the first time this has happened. That's why I'm confused.

Had the same exact thing happen in my 257 stw, using the 250 cci primers and r-25. It was at least that cold if not colder. And it would hang fire bad. It would always go off but not consistantly.
I swtiched to Federal 215's and the problem was solved.
I have had a few problems with the CCI primers in cold weather doing this.

I think it's the rifle! You should sell it cheap to someone in a warmer climate:)

Consider the possibility a piece of it is in the rifle. Lubricants etc. have different operating ranges.

I managed to over zealously lube a bolt to where a it would not fire. In this particular instance primers were obviously not impacted properly, and a couple the pin did not want to fall at all. -22 that day. Maybe your pin is just enough slower in the cold to be an issue.
Or a couple of primers not completely seated.

I'm going to say the problem is part this, and part that. I like the Federal 215's, especially in the cold.

Freezer testing loads never hurts, but don't be to bashful to freeze the rifle also.

Joking aside a very nice looking rifle.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.