Bad Luck With Bergers

In both cases the bullet peirced through and I ended up shooting multiple times to kill the animals. ....The exit wound was tiny like there was no expansion.......

Yes on the elk I recovered 3 jackets on the outside of the hide. On the deer nothing.

Well which is it? Did they pencil through, or did they dump all the lead in the animal and the expanded jacket stop on the hide?

Something doesn't compute for me.

The deer complete pencel holes . Elk 3 out of 6 lost the jacket and the lead pensiled through the other 3 went straight through not lossing the the jacket. In all cases deer and elk small holes in and out.

The deer complete pencel holes . Elk 3 out of 6 lost the jacket and the lead pensiled through the other 3 went straight through not lossing the the jacket. In all cases deer and elk small holes in and out.

Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up.

Any elk that takes 6 shots 'right behind the shoulder', pencil holes or not, is one tough hombre.

Got any pics?

My money is on either the seating die deforming the hollow point, or the front of the magazine during recoil.

I'm sorry but I don't believe this statement.. How does a bullet lose its jacket but still pencil
through ?

Has anyone considered the possibility that we may be dealing with genetically enhanced uber zombie elklightbulb? This whole thing is starting to sound like some made up hocuspocus to me. I want to go toe to toe with any animal that will stand there and let you shoot it 6 times. We have deer like that here in NY they are a special cyborg deer that due the bidding of their masters the Department of Environmental Conservation. They don't even flinch when you shoot them honest.

Has anyone considered the possibility that we may be dealing with genetically enhanced uber zombie elklightbulb? This whole thing is starting to sound like some made up hocuspocus to me. I want to go toe to toe with any animal that will stand there and let you shoot it 6 times. We have deer like that here in NY they are a special cyborg deer that due the bidding of their masters the Department of Environmental Conservation. They don't even flinch when you shoot them honest.

my bull this year stood there and let me put 3, 185 bergers in it... although mine expanded lol. first 2 shots missed ribs and everything and still exited just smaller than a golf ball :D 3rd hit the rear part of the shoulder, then he didnt think standing there was a very good idea and laid right down haha!

To the smart *** post i just want to say this. I have no reason or anything to gain by lying or misleading anyone (In fact I have learned a lot reading on this forum and respect the opinons that are posted on here). Second I am not trying to bash Berger bullets. I just wanted to know if anyone had similar results. Idealy I can figure out what im doing wrong and get these to preform on game like others experiance. I spent a lot of time to get these to shoot well for me and confirm my drop chart.

Now with that said I did find the 3 bullets recovered in the elk i shot. I have never posted a picture so hopefully this will work. Now the bullet on the far left is lead only, the middle pic is just the jacket only and the far right bullet has a little led and jacket. I thought that these where the jacket only with no lead but after finding them and looking closer that is not the case so I appologive for not accuratly stating this. The weights of these are 64.1 grains, 43.8 grains and 55.4 grains respectively. Dose this look like what others have seen once the recover the bullet from game?

To the Elk after the first shot I knew I had hit him and he only walked 30 yards and stoped. I think that he probubly was badly hurt and possibly would have died. however at 600 yards away on another ridge I was not going to take the chance of him getting away and I continued to shoot unitl he went down. I can tell you for a fact that enter holes and exit holes where no bigger than that dime in the picture. The internal damage of the Elk was better than on the Deer but still not good.

To the Deer after the first shot he still continued down the canyon and later bedded down after being shot again. i waited to shoot again because i thought he would die however after watching him he was way to alert and this wasnt going to happen at least any time soon. he got up and i shot until he went down. all bullets went compleatly through enter and exit holes no bigger then a dime and less internal damage then the elk.

I do agree that its hard to beleive that a deer or elk could take a pounding like that behind the front sholder and live pensil holing or not. I may not belive it if i was not there.

Attachments

• IMAG2094.jpg
    IMAG2094.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 93
  • IMAG2096.jpg
    IMAG2096.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMAG2095.jpg
    IMAG2095.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 73
  • IMAG2099.jpg
    IMAG2099.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 96
OK...that is odd...

The bullets expanded like any other bullet would (or should)...so that begs the question of why so little damage?

If those bullets had been Nosler Accubonds (for example)....the recovered bullets would have been similar (still in 1 piece, but otherwise similar)...

I'm back to questioning the velocity again...

Ya maybe I do not have a chrono to know for sure. But whatever I got going does not have the bang flop results that I am looking for.

Id guess I d call this " **** happens" I wouldnt wanna be at the other end of a down range 210 grn 30 cal bullet at any velocity. How about a topic on all these bonded and partition bullets I witness people shooting thin skin game like deer and pencil hole'n becouse there isnt enough there to activate the bullet that should be shot at water buffalo!
I load a 270 short mag for a guy in a 90 grn sierra varmit bullets that kills deer dead were they stand, why bullet never exits...all energy delivered even if its 700ftlb. energy that is dumped in dirt dont apply!

My dad and I have shot mule deer with the following bergers all VLD hunting all performed well with the 7mm being absoloutely devestating. One of the 270 shots took two as the first shot was low and did not look good though the deer was down and not moving.

1 7mm 168gr violent exit wound, deer died on impact
3 270 140gr performed much like a sierra game king one took two shot as poor shot placement.

1 243 105 or 115gr don'tremember, performed will took one shot

I like the Bergers but have not had the opportunity to use them onanything bigger than deer yet. I hope you figure out the probem but it seems that you may be shooting the target bullets possibly miss packaged? You could cut one open and measure the jacket if you had a known god one to compare it to.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.