Bad idea?

No matter how you justify it, you're still introducing poison into the environment. I don't support it. They should try a massive trapping campaign. At least at that point you have positive control over the animal.

Additionally, I know its feral and its causing destruction, but its still an animal. It kills me when people will try any means to eradicate something. Bleeding to death internally? Are you serious? I feel like there should be a little more thought put into than that. It is a living, breathing creature after all.

Don't get me wrong. I love hog hunting and the hog population is definitely a problem, but this seems pretty lazy and unethical to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that it is impossible to eradicate hogs. There are too many of them, they breed too quickly, and there is too much terrain for them to flourish.

I think you can put a big dent in localized populations, but the resources required to eliminate them are too great to eliminate them.

Poison sounds good, but have people really thought of all of the potential consequences?

We already have done this kind of thing a number of times in our history, grizzlies, wolves, coyotes, whitetail deer, elk, bison, the only reason we had predators under control at one time was poisons. You gotta realize what kind of horror show is at the end of this if something dramatic isn't done!! Back 20 years ago the market dropped out of red fox here so no one trapped them, they breed like rabbits and then got sick, I've seen ONE red fox in the last five years in an area we used to trap 1200 a year and you'd see them all the time.
A non native species don't have the control mechanisms, I don't think there is any real pleasant solution so it might as well be a dramatic one, for coyotes we used to have M44 which shot a cyanide pill down their throat when they grabbed the bait, very precise and lethal. Poison is incredibly effective, nothing has ever worked like it and as unpleasant as it seems the current trajectory looks like it's not going to get any easier or better.

....You gotta realize what kind of horror show is at the end of this if something dramatic isn't done!!.......... A non native species don't have the control mechanisms, I don't think there is any real pleasant solution so it might as well be a dramatic one, .....Poison is incredibly effective, nothing has ever worked like it and as unpleasant as it seems the current trajectory looks like it's not going to get any easier or better........./QUOTE]

I can't disagree with any of that!

I don't believe though, after it goes through several focus groups etc., it's not likely to survive. At that point we're left with an expensive half assed plan that has no chance at effectiveness.

BC, and Alberta have very expensive wolf plans trying to save endangered caribou, they've known for a long time poison is needed, but it doesn't survive the wailing of citizens.

Colorado has proposed a study to see the effect of "euthanizing" large predators from an area on mule deer populations. It's already got them back tracking, assuring the public "families" wont be euthanized, but instead will be relocated.

Frustrating, such is the state of the nation, and many hunters, and sportsmen's groups aren't willing to do what needs to be done either.

Respectfully JE, I don't see the contraceptive surviving the environmental challenges any better than poisons. It sounds better than poison, but in the 3-5 years of development they mention the problem only worsens, and you're still left with a large problem of a couple of million adult pigs.

At this hour I'm just tired of seeing the money wasted.

Respectfully JE, I don't see the contraceptive surviving the environmental challenges any better than poisons. It sounds better than poison, but in the 3-5 years of development they mention the problem only worsens, and you're still left with a large problem of a couple of million adult pigs.

At this hour I'm just tired of seeing the money wasted.[/QUOTE]

None taken !!!
I am no chemist and don't know the answer to the problem, I just see the results of nothing working. We shoot and trap every hog we can and we are losing ground.

I know the coyote program worked and I was uncomfortable with the method, but it was successful.

What I have read is the delivery system is the problem in order to prevent other animals from access
to the drug, Not the drug it's self.

I personally would forego eating wild hog if that is what it took to get them under control and poison was the most effective method.

As bigngreen stated, it is getting out of control and something has to be done to save other species.

Man is the only real predator that hogs have and they adapt to control methods very fast and thrive.

Hopefully someone will come up with a sound method for controlling the feral hog soon.

J E CUSTOM

Totally bad idea, they need to have mass hunts, bring anyone willing to hunt in, find away to process the meat into something and let the killing begin. The meat and such has to be a good food source for humans and animals. Construct dedicated processing centers, maybe feed the chinese or immigrants or something. lol This post started out with good intentions, then my humor dropped in. :)

The only predator I know is the cougar. Many guides in central Florida are complaining that they can't get hogs and when they do the lions kill them off in the fences. I have a friend down right now had a cat leave two hogs under his blind overnight. Between that and the FDA approving the sale to restaurants the hogs are under control in Florida from what I hear. When trappers can get $150 a pig many more people will be willing to trap them. Hell I would be trapping pigs everyday after work or before if I could get that much. I could be a rich man in Texas with all those hogs.

Totally bad idea, they need to have mass hunts, bring anyone willing to hunt in, find away to process the meat into something and let the killing begin. The meat and such has to be a good food source for humans and animals. Construct dedicated processing centers, maybe feed the chinese or immigrants or something. lol This post started out with good intentions, then my humor dropped in. :)

All of this is happening already and the hogs keep on reproducing and increasing in numbers. There is a large number of ranches that commercially trap Hogs to sell in Europe. They must be alive when received to fetch top prices, so they are trapped in large numbers and shipped overseas.

They are also mass hunted and still they increase. I have lived in Texas all my life and can remember when there were almost no hogs in this state. Once they started showing up, (Within the last 15 years) the population exploded.

Hunting and trapping has not worked, so anything that can be done will be a relief. Hogs are ruining the other game species and have to be stopped by any means. Bears and lions may take a few hogs but there are not enough of them to have any impact on the Hog population. There are also areas that are so thick that hunting is almost impossible and you can be within 10 feet of a hog and not be aware that he is there unless you can smell him.

I am not advocating any particular method except the one that works what ever it is.

The only BAD idea is to do nothing.

J E CUSTOM

Good thing you guys aren't in California because these whining libs would get them protected to stop their senseless slaughter. Years ago the desert tortoise was endangered because of disease and the Asians were scooping them up(they think it makes your pecker bigger or something) so the plan was to shoot a bunch of ravens(no Asians) because they preyed on baby tortoises and tortoise eggs. Right before the shoot the libs got an injunction to stop it and eventually got the raven protected !You cannot shoot a raven in California, even with a copper bullets. Now they are everywhere even places where they had never been before.
If pigs are on your land, do what you need to do to get rid of them before the
"Save The Swine" lunatics show up. You think it's impossible...first CA banned plastic grocery bag...now those F-ing idiots are going after straws...you know, plastic drinking straws. Unbelievable.
Make some room down there for me because when my family obligations are done I will have to leave CA.

They are an invasive species, IMO there should only be plans to wipe them out not control them, as fun as they maybe they have no place!!

......They are an invasive species, IMO there should only be plans to wipe them out not control them, as fun as they maybe they have no place!!

Thank you!

Asian Carp
Burmese Pythons
Wolves
Feral Horses
Stray Cats

The folks on the other side don't believe the loss of native species is not only possible, but probable.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.